Where the Body Was by Ed Brubaker

Where the Body Was (edition 2024)

by Ed Brubaker (Author)

Like a true crime podcast crossed with a long-lost diary, Where the Body Was is unlike anything Brubaker and Phillips have ever done, and a must-have for all their avid fans! A boarding house full of druggies. A neglected housewife. A young girl who thinks she's a superhero. A cop who wants to be left alone. And a Private Detective looking for a runaway girl. These stories collide one fateful summer in Where the Body Was, a tale of love and murder in the suburbs, told from a dozen different points of view. All the neighbors on the block have an opinion about the murder and how it happened, but which of them is telling the truth? Starting with a map of the crime scene, this murder mystery follows the ripples of this killing as they echo through decades of love and loss and passion and violence.… (more)
Member:Dannythered
Title:Where the Body Was
Authors:Ed Brubaker (Author)
Info:Image Comics (2024), 144 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Work Information

Where the Body Was by Ed Brubaker

A nifty and tidy little character study about how untidy suburban life can be is wrapped up in a little murder mystery. A couple of characters talk about The Twilight Zone in the course of the book and some of the ironic little twists here wouldn't be out of place there, though they'd probably be more at home on the contemporary anthology series Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Well executed, though I fear not exactly memorable. ( )
  villemezbrown | Feb 2, 2024 |
I was excited when I found out Net Galley would provide me with a copy of this comic. Author Ed Brubaker writes awesome stories and this one is no different. The story takes place in Summer 1984 in an abandoned boarding house on Pelican Road that junkies have taken over.

The story opens with an introduction to the boarding house. We meet the couple who were the original owners as well as their neighbors. After they pass on the boarding house falls into disrepair and junkies and other criminals move in. A girl who thinks she is a superhero, wearing a mask and a cape, has a crush on Palmer who is doing drugs with a woman he is sleeping with, Toni. In order to get cash for their fix, the couple burglarize homes. She threatens him with going to the cops if he doesn’t stop. Palmer tells everyone that he is a cop and flashes a badge at anyone whose behavior he does not like. Despite this, I found him to be a sympathetic character. Another character that I liked was Ranko. He is a homeless man who sees everything happens on the street even though no one sees him.

There were alot of characters introduced in the beginning and I didn't even try to remember who was who. I knew I would get them straight during my read which I did. Each of these characters get to narrate their own chapters and the reader begins to see the well crafted plot through their eyes. The body was not introduced in the book until the halfway point. Normally I would complain about this but the story was so absorbing that I didn't even notice its absence.

Where the Body Was is an entertaining mystery that satisfies. Comic fans will want to read this one. ( )
  Violette62 | Jan 15, 2024 |
June 27, 1984

The house had been built in the late 30s, one of the first houses on Pelican Road, right where it dead-ended above the hillside.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,906,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible