The Hunter: A Novel by Tana French

The Hunter: A Novel (original 2024; edition 2024)

by Tana French (Author)

Series: Cal Hooper (2)

5192947,931 (4.14)35
"It's a blazing summer when two men arrive in a small village in the West of Ireland. One of them is coming home. Both of them are coming to get rich. One of them is coming to die. Cal Hooper took early retirement from Chicago PD and moved to rural Ireland looking for peace. He's found it, more or less: he's built a relationship with a local woman, Lena, and he's gradually turning Trey Reddy from a half-feral teenager into a good kid going good places. But then Trey's long-absent father reappears, bringing along an English millionaire and a scheme to find gold in the townland, and suddenly everything the three of them have been building is under threat. Cal and Lena are both ready to do whatever it takes to protect Trey, but Trey doesn't want protecting. What she wants is revenge. From the writer who is "in a class by herself," (The New York Times), a nuanced, atmospheric tale that explores what we'll do for our loved ones, what we'll do for revenge, and what we sacrifice when the two collide"--… (more)
Member:JGoto
Title:The Hunter: A Novel
Authors:Tana French (Author)
Info:Viking (2024), 474 pages
Tags:Irish fiction, murder, audiobook, excellent narrator

Work Information

The Hunter by Tana French (2024)

Recently added byprivate library, mcclemen, calvson, cindyst2000, CJForrest, walkerb, gbelik, Epidermis1953, khage

Thourougly enjoyed this sequel to The Searcher where Chicago cop Cal Hooper retires to Ireland and fixes up a cabin on a piece of land he bought. The town of "Ardnakelty is full of begrudgers who take optimism personally", but he manages to make peace with most of the village men, especially when he takes up a fatherly relationship with local teenager, Trey , and a romantic one with a local girl named Lena. In the first novel, which should be read, he helped Trey find out what happened to her brother Brendan. In this the story the plot revolves around the reappearance of Trey's father Johnny Reddy. He comes back to town with a scheme to find some supposed gold long rumored to be in the foothills. The plot moves nicely through various characterizations of the locals, and twists enough to keep the reader interested and guessing. At the heart of what makes both books work so well is the bond between characters. As a bonus you get wonderful descriptions of the beautiful Irish farmlands and great dialogue. We can only hope that Ms. French decides to continue with this series. Highly recommend and will begin to delve into previous works, especially the Dublin Murder Squad series.

Lines
Their mam is silent, but it’s not a silence with peace in it. It takes up space, like some heavy thing made of rusted iron built around her.

Johnny Reddy has always struck Cal as a type he’s encountered before: the guy who operates by sauntering into a new place, announcing himself as whatever seems likely to come in handy, and seeing how much he can get out of that costume before it wears too thin to cover him up any longer.

Lena looks at him. He still has that smile, the wide impish crinkle that woke your reckless side and lured you into thinking the stakes were low.

Lena is tall and built strong, with deep curves, wide cheekbones and a wide mouth, heavy fair hair and very blue eyes. Everything about her has a heft to it; nothing is half there.

“Worthless little fecker,” Mart says. “The best part of that fella ran down his mammy’s leg.

Four years ago, if I was on fire, there’s not a one of them lads woulda pissed on me to put me out.

Sheila is a tall woman, rangy and rawboned, with thick red-brown hair starting to gray and pulled back in a ponytail. Her face is like old wood, worn shiny in some places and rough in others, and immobile.

What you haveta keep in mind about every man jack in this townland, Sunny Jim, is that he’s the one that stayed put. Some of us wanted to and some didn’t, but once you’ve got the land, you’re going nowhere. ’Tis all you can do to find someone to mind the farm for a week while you head for Tenerife to admire a few bikinis.”

“That’s disco behavior, is what that is. That’s what you get when there’s women in. They oughta have pubs of their own, so they can have their pint in peace without some potato-faced fucker trying to get into their knickers, and I can have mine without your man’s hormones getting in the air and spoiling the taste.”

Lena, although she doesn’t say this, has been liking the heat wave. She appreciates the change it brings to the townland. It transforms the muted blues and creams and yellows of the village houses, lifting them to an expansive brightness that barely seems real, and it rouses the fields from their usual soft somnolence to a spiky, embattled vividness. ( )
  novelcommentary | Jul 11, 2024 |

Tana French - The Hunter: Better than the first one, and this is a series of hers I can get behind (as opposed to The Witch Elm, gawd, I hope that doesn’t become a series). #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Jul 9, 2024 |
I knew there was a train wreck coming but I did not see THAT train wreck coming. Everything by Tana French is a joy to read. ( )
  rlsalvati | Jul 1, 2024 |
This one didn't grab me as tightly as did The Searcher. There are the same characters but their emotional interaction was a bit lacking, and there were way too many long conversations. However, little Trey is coming into her own. The women in the series are stepping up, and that saved the book for me. Though they all love their little village, nothing could make me live with these people. It's kind of like people telling me how much they love living in the South. There's no compensation for that kind of social oppression. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Jun 24, 2024 |
Loved this book! Although it seemed to move along pretty slowly, I enjoyed the Irish dialect and interplay among the characters so much that I didn't mind. The ending was both unexpected and satisfying and was written beautifully. Great story! ( )
  flourgirl49 | Jun 20, 2024 |

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,416,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible