Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters

Spoon River Anthology (original 1914; edition 2006)

by Edgar Lee Masters (Author)

The dead arise from their sleep in the cemetery of a small town to tell their individual stories about an entire community caught in a web of scandal, sin, and vice in the early twentieth century.
Member:dcvance
Title:Spoon River Anthology
Authors:Edgar Lee Masters (Author)
Info:Hard Press (2006), 112 pages

Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (1914)

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (benjclark)
    benjclark: A collection of fascinating, well-written tales that weave into a whole. Amazing!
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (kxlly)
    The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (kxlly)
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (kxlly)
    Our Town by Thornton Wilder (kxlly)

English (25)  Italian (6)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (35)
This is a re-read of a classic I love, in anticipation of seeing it on stage. Masters' concept here is still unique and fresh and the short free-verse poems are easy to digest. Told from the graveyard in Spoon River, a small rural Illinois town, each character is essentially sharing his or her epitaph from the other side. How the characters interconnect and how the small town fosters lots of drama and hidden undercurrents of emotion is the truly interesting part. Favorites include: Richard Cory, Lucinda Matlock, Mrs. Merritt, Julia Miller, Chase Henry and many others. It's easy to dip in here and there and it doesn't need to be read cover-to-cover, but it is a worthwhile undertaking. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
Heard about this for the first time while reading Richard Price's Samaritan. It's a tremendous achievement. Witty and dour, morbid and feather-light. I will have to dip back into it again for all human life can be found within. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
love it every time ( )
  armysquirrel | Jan 1, 2018 |
I really love the concept of this book. I thought there were very few poems that would work as stand-alone pieces, but I thought the way the characters were in conversation with one another was fantastic. I imagine that I might find even more connections and thereby like the book better with re-reading, though I can't promise I'll actually follow through with testing that theory. As a writer, I was very inspired to translate some of the ideas going on here to my own work, so I'm glad I finally got to it. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
I read this after seeing the play version and absolutely fell in love with Masters stories. ( )
  caseybp | Jan 19, 2016 |

Masters, Edgar Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjerke, AndréTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hollander, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pivano , FernandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where are Elmer, Herman, Bert, Tom and Charley,
The weak of will, the strong of arm, the clown, the boozer, the fighter?
E un giudice, un giudice con la faccia da uomo
mi spedì a sfogliare i tramonti in prigione
inutile al mondo ed alle mie dita
bollato per sempre truffatore imbroglione
dottor professor truffatore imbroglione.

«Dormono, dormono, dormono tutti quanti sulla collina.» Duecentoquarantatré lapidi nel cimitero di Spoon River raccontano altrettante vite, inchiodando ciascun personaggio all'attimo decisivo della sua esistenza. Ricordi, paesaggi, immagini, gesti sono riassunti in un breve rosario di parole, richiamati in vita dalle voci che parlano dalle tombe. "Vite di uomini non illustri" si potrebbe definire questa grande commedia di caratteri, questo esemplare catalogo di ruoli, quest'ironica, commovente e universale enciclopedia di dolori, rimpianti ed emozioni.
(piopas)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,014,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible