A Residue of Hope

by Tom Milton

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from Librarything. Com Early Member Giveaway for a honest review of the book. This is the third book that I have read by this author. I liked his writing style. The book takes place after the pandemic. I did like the characters and the plot of the book. I think the book could have been a little bit longer and I wanted to see more of Jessica after what happened to her. I rated this book a 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  CrystalE02 | Dec 30, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Finally, able to enter this book and write a review.

I liked the book well enough but the parents were annoying the mother, especially with her guilt. Anyone of us could have a child that falls prey to illegal substances and naturally, we all would look to what we did wrong, and how could we be responsible, but this woman seemed to be obsessed with guilt. Sometimes things are no one fault but the persons themselves.
I think some people think everything is about them and I believe this woman is one of them. ( )
  MaggieFP | Dec 21, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read the book A Residue of Hope and wanted to give a short review. First of all, I want to say that I really enjoyed the themes and problems that were discussed in the book. I found the book short but intriguing in the beginning. I felt that as I continued reading the book it was a bit mundane and at some moments I was not quite sure if I wanted to continue to read it. It might have been intended to be a simple story and I always try to get something out of any book I read. I did like the popular concept of nature vs nurture being incorporated into the story. It was interesting to see the parents going back and forth on whether or not it was their fault. I enjoyed the layout of the book but I felt that the story was missing something. It felt a bit empty and I also did not enjoy the ending. Overall, I would say that the story was simple and I still appreciated it. ( )
1 vote Brianna3. | Dec 1, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this book. There were times when you weren't sure if it was a flashback or happening now.
1 vote Melanie_Green-Ar6368 | Nov 24, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this story. It’s told in a non-traditional manner. It starts with the event of a daughter’s overdose and goes back in time by the mom’s examination of her life history.
The character development is very good. I enjoyed meeting Marika, her father, husband and sister. I appreciated that the author inserted Polish phrases where they were appropriate.
It’s not overly long, despite being a review of 50+ years. Lesbian relationships are gently covered in the story and I thought this was done very tastefully.
As the title says, the story ends with hope in several aspects—the life of the daughter who OD’d, the relation ship of the mother and her sister, her sister’s growing awareness of the value of family, the very strong marriage that is demonstrated by the grandparents and parents of the woman who OD’d.
I usually like suspense or mystery type fiction and was pleasantly surprised by this book. If you want a feel good read, this one is a winner.
Only marked it down a star because if the strange timeline way that the story is told. I didn’t especially care for this method. ( )
  Caspaulding | Nov 10, 2023 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tom Milton's book A Residue of Hope was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Tom Milton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

A Residue of Hope by Tom Milton LTER SEPT2023 in Reviews of Early Reviewers Books

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,237,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible