The Women: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

The Women: A Novel (original 2024; edition 2024)

by Kristin Hannah (Author)

1,7109710,467 (4.35)1 / 21
"When twenty-year-old nursing student Frances "Frankie" McGrath hears these unexpected words, it is a revelation. Raised on idyllic Coronado Island and sheltered by her conservative parents, she has always prided herself on doing the right thing, being a good girl. But in 1965 the world is changing, and she suddenly imagines a different choice for her life. When her brother ships out to serve in Vietnam, she impulsively joins the Army Nurse Corps and follows his path. As green and inexperienced as the men sent to Vietnam to fight, Frankie is overwhelmed by the chaos and destruction of war, as well as the unexpected trauma of coming home to a changed and politically divided America."--… (more)
Member:bookchickdi
Title:The Women: A Novel
Authors:Kristin Hannah (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2024), Edition: First Edition, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Women by Kristin Hannah (2024)

English (96)  Spanish (1)  All languages (97)
Good book. Not my favorite but i enjoy reading Kristin’s books ( )
  BethQuerrey | Jul 17, 2024 |
«Las mujeres pueden ser heroínas». Cuando Frankie McGrath, estudiante de enfermería de veinte años, oye por primera vez estas inesperadas palabras, siente una revelación. Criada en el idílico y soleado sur de California y protegida por sus conservadores padres, siempre se ha enorgullecido de hacer lo que se espera de ella, de ser una buena chica. Pero en 1966 el mundo está cambiando y, de repente, su vida parece abrirse a nuevas posibilidades. Cuando su hermano parte para combatir en Vietnam, ella se une de manera impulsiva al Cuerpo de Enfermeras del Ejército para seguirle.

Allí, Frankie se siente igual de inmadura e inexperta que los jóvenes enviados para luchar, y se ve abrumada por el caos y la destrucción de la guerra. Además, un trauma inesperado la golpea al volver a casa, el de encontrar un país cambiado y dividido, un país que quiere olvidar. Frankie descubrirá el verdadero valor de la amistad y el dolor que puede causar un corazón roto. ( )
  fewbach | Jul 15, 2024 |
Good read. Really like the author Kristin Hannah. The main character, Frankie, goes through so much. Favorite part was probably just seeing her journey and how she goes through ups and downs, but in the end learns to be at peace and calm her mind. ( )
  Zach-Rigo | Jul 14, 2024 |
Frankie goes from living in a bubble - perky, naive, and immature - to whiny and weepy when she arrives as a new nurse in Vietnam. She never really matures or evolves, despite horrifying conditions and the presence of terrible suffering. The "romances" are hard to believe - more like something out a Regency novel than what you'd expect from a hugely successful bestselling writer.... wooden characters, all the men are heroes and all the women are of course lovely in their special way. The plot was pretty ridiculous and unsophisticated - coincidences that strained credulity, good and evil portrayed with no shades of nuance, and oh, by the way, - spoiler alert - two characters who are "killed off" aren't really dead after all. Really- what are the chances? Such a complex and difficult topic deserve a much more subtle, balanced, and thoughtful treatment. ( )
  JaneReading | Jul 14, 2024 |
I had to listen to this in a great rush - kicked up the speed to X1.5 - because I'd only left 3 days to get through a 15 hour book - and it quickly became apparent that I had to finish this book - it wouldn't let me go.

I only turned up the speed about 10 hours in and by that time I was so absorbed I would have hung on to every word under any conditions. I thought I might be able to borrow this again but only one of my libraries, and Hoopla, had the audiobook, and at my library I was #1,274 in line on 300 copies - I've never seen such big numbers! Obviously, this book, released this year, is on many people's radar.

The experience of being dropped into that field hospital, the horror of the injuries, the bravery of the men, AND women, in the fight, and in the hospitals - those who stitched up the blown up and burnt bodies of everyone in the firing line. It was saturating and vivid.

The mildew, the heat, the overwork, the loneliness, the fear, the trauma ... we lived through all this with Frankie, a 20-year old graduate nurse. Those nurses had such guts, such perseverance and loyalty.

The novel was am adrenaline drain - being on the edge for so many hours, living through the war and then the PTSD upon returning home - not that it was called that until a fews after Frankie fought what was an unknown demon.

I loved the underlying loves stories also - Frankie's first love Jamie, the wise, sweet, sad surgeon; then Ry, the great love but flawed; and Henry, the psychologist, who gave her sunlight but she had still not addressed her PTSD. Each of these relationships was beautifully, romantically written, though they were pushed to the side of the novel as time and again Hannah pulls us back to "The Women" - Frankie and nursing buddies Barb and Ethel, and later the wives of POWs, and then women traumatised by the war fallout who find shelter on her ranch.

This summary only skims the surface, as the battered Frankie is under mortar fire by life throughout the book.

Hannah returns again and again to heroism, its idolation by Frankie's father, and by herself from childhood, and the destruction that causes.

I also appreciated the history lesson very much. ( )
  Okies | Jul 12, 2024 |
Reading Hannah’s books may be a masochistic pastime, but it’s also a hugely popular one. “The Nightingale,” “The Four Winds,” “The Great Alone,” “Firefly Lane”: Her books are such reliable bestsellers that her publisher is betting big on “The Women” with an initial printing of 1 million copies. If Kleenex doesn’t come up with a tie-in campaign, it’s leaving money on the table.... I read “The Women” while hugging an emotional-support pillow and trying to divine which characters would be sacrificed. Hannah’s protective instincts toward her protagonists are on par with George R.R. Martin’s. But even if Frankie made it out alive, I knew there would be many more who wouldn’t.... while it destroyed me, it also awoke something that was — and continues to be — in short supply: empathy. It gave me a new appreciation for what everyday people from the past endured; it also gave me perspective for how my own micro-tragedies fit into the larger framework of history. Hannah tells the stories of real but unsung heroes, and when you consider that, the price of a few sobs seems relatively small.
added by Lemeritus | editWashington Post, Stephanie Merry (pay site) (Feb 9, 2024)

A few chapters into “The Women,” I experienced a wave of déjà vu — and it wasn’t just the warm Tab and the creme rinse. If you grew up in the 1980s, the Vietnam redemption arc was imprinted on your gray matter by a stampede of young novelists and filmmakers coming to grips with their foundational trauma: patriotic innocence shattered by the barbarity of jungle warfare; the return home to a hostile nation; the chasm of despair and addiction; and finally, the healing power of activism.... Kristin Hannah takes up the Vietnam epic and re-centers the story on the experience of women — in this instance, the military nurses who worked under fire, on bases and in field hospitals, to patch soldiers back together. Or not.... Hannah’s real superpower is her ability to hook you along from catastrophe to catastrophe, sometimes peering between your fingers, because you simply cannot give up on her characters. If the story loses a little momentum after Frankie completes her second tour — slingshot to the finish by a series of occasionally strained plot twists — well, isn’t that the way it went for so many veterans returning home? Without the imperatives of war, you stumble along until you find your way.
added by Lemeritus | editNew York Times, Beatriz Williams (pay site) (Feb 1, 2024)

The first half of the book, set in gore-drenched hospital wards, mildewed dorm rooms, and boozy officers’ clubs, is an exciting read, tracking the transformation of virginal, uptight Frankie into a crack surgical nurse and woman of the world..... In the second part of the book, after the war, Frankie seems to experience every possible bad break. A drawback of the story is that none of the secondary characters in her life are fully three-dimensional: Her dismissive, chauvinistic father and tight-lipped, pill-popping mother, her fellow nurses, and her various love interests are more plot devices than people. You’ll wish you could have gone to Vegas and placed a bet on the ending—while it’s against all the odds, you’ll see it coming from a mile away. A dramatic, vividly detailed reconstruction of a little-known aspect of the Vietnam War.
added by Lemeritus | editKirkus Reviews (Nov 4, 2023)

One of the most interesting aspects of “The Women” is the themes Kristin explores, such as courage, resilience, and the lasting impact of military service on those who serve. Hannah writes vividly about the camaraderie between the women, their battles, and their triumphs, and together the stories are a rich tapestry of human emotions and experiences.............

This war has . . . stretched the generation gap so wide that it threatens to pull the country apart.

—FRANK CHURCH
In a country where youth is adored, we lost ours before we were out of our twenties. We learned to accept death there, and it erased our sense of immortality. We met our human frailties, the dark side of ourselves, face-to-face . . . The war destroyed our faith, betrayed our trust, and dropped us outside the mainstream of our society. We still don't fully belong. I wonder if we ever will.

—WINNIE SMITH
AMERICAN DAUGHTER GONE TO WAR
This novel is dedicated to the courageous women who served in Vietnam. These women, most of them nurses and many of them raised on proudly told family stories of World War II heroism, heeded their country's call to arms and went to war. In too many instances, they came home to a country that didn't care about their service and a world that didn't want to hear about their experiences; their post-war struggles and their stories were too often forgotten or marginalized. I am proud to have this opportunity to shine a light on their strength, resilience, and grit.
And to all veterans and POW/MIA and their families, who have sacrificed so much.
And finally, to the medical personnel who fought the pandemic and gave so much of themselves to help others.
Thank you.
The walled and gated McGrath estate was a world unto itself, protected and private.
Words were creators of worlds; you had to be careful with them.
War was full of goodbyes, and most of them never really happened; you were always too early or too late.

Current Discussions

An Author Interview with Kristin Hannah in Talk about LibraryThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,614,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible