The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders (1936)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (13)

English (65)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Chinese (1)  All languages (76)
3.5 stars ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
As always, another perfect mystery from the queen herself. This one really threw me for a loop as I tried to line everything up and make connections.

I'm not sure who I love more, Miss Marple or Poirot but in this book Poirot sparkles. He's already well known and although not all the police believe in his detective skills, once again Poirot is able to figure out the impossible.

I really never saw the twist coming and was quite shocked. I would say more but it would just give it away. Highly recommend if you love Christie and Poirot or if you are just a mystery fan altogether. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
Hercule Poirot, the world renowned detective, is sent a letter from A. B. C., a mysterious person who writes to Poirot to get his attention. Realizing he intends to kill multiple people, Poirot sets out to catch him before he can kill anyone else.

This was a bit different from the other Poirot mysteries that I have read thus far because it was more about the killer than the crime. Poirot connects seemingly unrelated people to one killer and discovers the truth of the crime.

Again I am awed by Christie's skills with mystery. I definitely did not see this ending coming and I applaud her intelligence.

I also really loved this because the ending was so satisfying. I loved how Poirot takes the time to console Cust, an old man that no one seems to care about, after he was framed. I thought that it was a beautiful moment and very uplifting. ( )
  beckakw | Aug 8, 2017 |
Oh, Poirot, you've done it again. You have taken a fairly straightforward set of murders and completely turned them upside down. You do this especially well when Hastings is by your side. I especially like you when you have Colonel Hastings to balance you out. I can see why your friendship has endured through the years.

This one kept me guessing until the end. I thought I knew what was happening and why, yet in the end I choked on all of the red herrings. This book proves once again why my old friend Agatha was the Queen of Suspense. Love her! ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I decided one day that I should start listening to audiobooks while driving, at the gym, doing household chores, etc. I had always wanted to read Agatha Christie, so I started there pretty much on a whim.

This novel is part of the Poirot series of detective novels.

It's difficult to review a mystery without giving spoilers and I never write spoilers in reviews, so I'll just say that I enjoyed getting to know Poirot and his friends better and I loved hearing how the story unfolded in the end. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mallorquí, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suomalainen, AuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / The A.B.C. Murders / Cards on the Table / Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie

Why Didn't they Ask Evans? [and] The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: The A.B.C. Murders, The Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side, They Came To Baghdad by Agatha Christie

Murder-Go-Round: Thirteen at Dinner / The A.B.C. Murders / Funerals Are Fatal by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders [and] Endless Night by Agatha Christie

The Mysterious Affair at Styles / Peril at End House / The A.B.C. Murders / One, Two Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

To James Watts
One of my most sympathetic readers
In this narrative of mine I have departed from my usual practice of relating only those incidents and scenes at which I myself was present. (Foreword by Captain Arthur Hastings, O.B.E.)
It was in June of 1935 that I came home from my ranch in South America for a stay of about six months.
Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. (Hercule Poirot)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042513024X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alice Ascher is murdered in Andover, Hercule Poirot is already on to the clues. Alphabetically speaking, it's one down, twenty-five to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:04 -0400)

A is for Ascher, cudgeled in Andover. B is for Barnard, strangled in Bexhill. C is for Clarke, struck down in Churston. Beside each body is an A.B.C. Railway guide; before each murder Hercule Poirot is notified. In one of Christie's most twisted tales, the meticulous Belgian sleuth must navigate the eerie maze of a serial killer's mind. D is for Doncaster, where the next victim dies... E is for evidence, ingeniously analyzed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,136,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible