The ABC Murders: A Hercule Poirot Mystery…

The ABC Murders: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot series Book 13) (original 1936; edition 2003)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

Series: Hercule Poirot (12)

A is for Ascher, cudgeled in Andover. B is for Barnard, strangled in Bexhill. C is for Clarke, struck down in Churston. Beside each body is an A.B.C. Railway guide; before each murder Hercule Poirot is notified. In one of Christie's most twisted tales, the meticulous Belgian sleuth must navigate the eerie maze of a serial killer's mind. D is for Doncaster, where the next victim dies... E is for evidence, ingeniously analyzed.… (more)
Member:dmh1314
Title:The ABC Murders: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot series Book 13)
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2003), 240 pages
Collections:eBooks, To read

Work Information

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936)

English (96)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Chinese (1)  All languages (108)
Absolutely blindsided. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I figured one out!!! Woohoo. I nailed the twist and the culprit before the reveal. Go me! ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
So, when someone is killing people starting with the beginning of the alphabet, they bring Poirot in by sending letters hinting at the next murder to come. So, the first person to die had both initials start with A and the town she was in started with A; then B, then C…

I listened to the BBC Dramatization (though I didn’t grab it on purpose), which is usually better for me than the books. I’ve found that many of these “golden age” (and earlier) mysteries just aren’t my thing. I liked the premise behind it, but this one still (even the dramatization) didn’t hold my attention well enough to follow everything. It may have been better (for me) than reading the actual book, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 13, 2021 |
A great way to spend a rainy day.... listening to this longer than normal book by Agatha Christie. ( )
  yukon92 | May 14, 2021 |
Again, this was a wonderful Agatha Christie novel to get lost in. The story is quite different from her classic plots, though: No country house setting, no bunch of suspects, no seaside hotel or village community. Instead, there is a serial killer! Thus, the dynamic is different from the other novels as well.
I especially enjoyed the dialogues of Poirot and Hastings, the clear plot and narration, and observing Poirot at work.
However, I think I still prefer the "usual story" a little. The characters are not that impressive or unique in this one, hence it's not five stars. But it still was a great read. ( )
  MissBrangwen | May 2, 2021 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

To James Watts
One of my most sympathetic readers
In this narrative of mine I have departed from my usual practice of relating only those incidents and scenes at which I myself was present. (Foreword by Captain Arthur Hastings, O.B.E.)
It was in June of 1935 that I came home from my ranch in South America for a stay of about six months.
Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. (Hercule Poirot)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,532,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible