dismiss

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey…

The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger

35,262117438 (4.1)1 / 1152
The story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, a librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself misplaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity in his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.… (more)
Recently added byrena40, private library, gebidwell, quakquak6, MahiShafiullah, Carmelreader, MicRenThom
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick, HoudeRat)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These moving and thought-provoking novels portray characters whose lives are continually disrupted by time shifts -- in Life after Life, the protagonist repeatedly dies and comes back to life, while in The Time Traveler's Wife, the protagonist time-travels involuntarily.… (more)
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (TomWaitsTables)
    How to Stop Time by Matt Haig (shaunie)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    The Muse of Edouard Manet by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (KayCliff)
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (andress, Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: if you're into uncontrollable time travel

2014 (1)
. (2)

English (1,135)  German (8)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Norwegian (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,173)
Characters were flat, time travel wasn't very well-considered, and neither was the possibility of grooming your own wife from age 6, but I liked the descriptions ( )
  hatingongodot | May 3, 2020 |
must have flown down to California for this book group meeting - found notes for interview Kaplan inside front cover - golly - it feels like living at the Louisa was a thousand years ago ( )
  Overgaard | May 2, 2020 |
Quite an ingenious concept for a plot, and it wasn't difficult to figure out the time-traveling. However, the pace was rather slow until the last quarter of the book when Henry knew he was about to die. What do you do when you know you are dying soon? How do you spend the time? Do you say thank you to the people you loved? Henry chose to go along with his wife's plan for a party with their loved ones but he wrote a letter for her. And in this letter, he told her of what he saw in the future, and how they will meet again. He never revealed the future to Clare but this time he chose to do it. And it was a good decision, for that kept Clare going all those years as she waited for him. (I almost teared as I wrote this.) ( )
1 vote siok | Apr 11, 2020 |
This is the most original and most moving book I have read in a while. Absolutely fantastic. ( )
  boxybosco | Mar 23, 2020 |
Got 21% in before DNFing. Definitely not a book for me.

I checked this out from the library on impulse after seeing all of the rave reviews it was getting, both here and elsewhere. And for the life of me, I cannot understand why it got the reviews it did.

From the beginning it was difficult to follow and didn't make a lot of sense. I thought at first it would get better as I got further into the book, but then encountered portrayals of sex, violence, cruelty, and a graphic account of a car accident, all of which convinced me that this was not a book I wanted to keep reading.

So I won't. Life is just too short. ( )
  Jennifer708 | Mar 23, 2020 |
The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bagnoli, KatiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Berman, FredNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strole, PhoebeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

— J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

—DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,—just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 161174430X, 1622319095

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,245,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible