The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey…

The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick, HoudeRat)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These moving and thought-provoking novels portray characters whose lives are continually disrupted by time shifts -- in Life after Life, the protagonist repeatedly dies and comes back to life, while in The Time Traveler's Wife, the protagonist time-travels involuntarily.… (more)
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (TomWaitsTables)
    How to Stop Time by Matt Haig (shaunie)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    The Muse of Edouard Manet by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (jbvm)
    jbvm: Also about a complicated relationship.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (KayCliff)

2014 (1)
. (2)

English (1,110)  German (9)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Italian (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,147)
I really liked this book, I thought the story was fairly original and the author does a great job at showing the emotions/passion between the two main characters. I would have to say you need to read it twice, things that happen in the beginning make much more sense later in the book and it's just easier to read it over almost right away. There are a few things that bothered me that seemed unnecessary to be in the story at all. Overall a good book that can make you cry. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
I came to this book 13 years after publication, and after the fuss had died down. It is easy to see why the book has been so successful. It is beautifully written - I don't think there is a jarring sentence in it. The plot combines the sci-fi element of time-travel with a traditional love story. The two main characters are well drawn, the male lead, in particular, is nicely nuanced. The female lead seems, in comparison, just a little flat - too good to be real. Surprisingly in 500+ pages, the other characters are hardly developed at all. There's the naive friend, and the sleaze, but most other characters remain little more than sketches peopling the background. But the love story is enticing and believable. I devoured the book in three days.
One qualm. I don't know the technical definition of "grooming", but the relationship between the Time Traveller and his future wife starts when she is six and he is adult. No naughty business happens before she turns 18, but I was left feeling a little uncomfortable about it all.
And one niggle. While the reader should not look for scientific rigour in a time-travel plot, narrative plausibility is a reasonable expectation. The plot tells us that some genetic abnormality causes our hero to be unhinged in time. I'll buy that, in a book. But the plot also incorporates the List, some schedule of future time travelling events. Exactly what the List is, is never explained (a narrative shortcoming in itself) and just how there can be a preordained list of events resulting for a genetic disorder defies plausibility. And five consecutive miscarriages seems an unlikely roll of the genetic dice. ( )
  mbmackay | Sep 28, 2018 |
“When you live with a woman you learn something every day. So far I have learned that long hair will clog up the shower drain before you can say "Liquid-Plumr"; that it is not advisable to clip something out of the newspaper before your wife has read it, even if the newspaper in question is a week old; that I am the only person in our two-person household who can eat the same thing for dinner three nights in a row without pouting; and that headphones were invented to preserve spouses from each other's musical excesses.”

In “The Time Traveler's Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger

The inclusion of "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffeneger in some of the bestseller lists (even in Portugal) shows a distinct lack of knowledge in what actually makes a book SF versus just twaddle with a premise that's usually the remit of SF. It is simply one of the most overrated books of recent times, about a selfish pillock bouncing around time, not caring enough about the consequences of his issues that he causes pain and misery to other people around him. But where exactly is the science in all of it? No, just more misguided "romance" that idiots buy into because they simply cannot see the bigger consequences. It's a romance novel with light smatterings of time travel and features about as much science as “Twilight”. Hey, Bella did look through a microscope in the first Twilight book. Of course, once she gazed into Edward's smoldering eyes, she forgot all that nerdy science stuff and going to university to become a scientist, etc. None of that for Edward's wife! She's got to stay home and make sure the blood is at room temperature and the vampire baby gets married to a proper werewolf. ( )
  antao | Aug 25, 2018 |
I read this book only because I was curious about time travel. Believe me..this book is a drag. Is it supposed to be a love story? Is it supposed to be a science fiction? Perhaps drama.. I was wondering why did I ever choose to read this book. The story is about a person who goes back and forth in time to fall in live, stay in love and to see the disasters caused in this course. The narration was too long and unnecessary. Several places I wondered why Clare had to put up with so much pain and I had no better reason but to call her dumb. I personally did not like how the story progressed as the angle of desperation,anxiety and agony seemed forced as if to add to any quientessential love stories. But I could not come to terms with the ending. The instances seemed nonessential. There is too much attention to detail which again was not needed everytime there was time travel. 2 stars for the concept of finding love through time travel. ( )
  deepa_nanjundaswamy | Aug 3, 2018 |
  deepahn | Aug 3, 2018 |
Um, I don't say this very often but I could NOT finish this book. I originally chose it as my 'April Book of the Month' because I was challenged to read a book that has been sitting on my 'to-read' list for WAY TOO LONG and also one that I had tried to read before but didn't get through. Feeling like I hadn't given this book a fair chance, it seemed like a no-brainer choice. However... it just isn't a book for me. I made it MUCH further than I have in the past (approx. 200 pages) but the fact that I am not 'craving' the read that I normally do, I know that I am done. This book will be entered into the vault, never to be seen again (at least by these eyes).

I'm sad to add a book to the 'couldn't finish' list, but... life is too short to read something I am not enjoying!!

The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

— J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

—DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,—just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015602943X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:46 -0400)

A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant. An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come.… (more)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 1598872028, 1598877372

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 161174430X, 1622319095

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,211,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible