The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger

36,244120740 (4.1)1 / 1177
The story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, a librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself misplaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity in his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.… (more)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick, HoudeRat)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These moving and thought-provoking novels portray characters whose lives are continually disrupted by time shifts -- in Life after Life, the protagonist repeatedly dies and comes back to life, while in The Time Traveler's Wife, the protagonist time-travels involuntarily.… (more)
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (TomWaitsTables)
    How to Stop Time by Matt Haig (shaunie)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    The Muse of Edouard Manet by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (KayCliff)
    God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo (amyreads)

2014 (1)
. (2)

English (1,163)  German (8)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Norwegian (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,202)
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is a science fiction-romance novel about a man who travels through time and the woman he loves. Henry DeTamble first meets the love of his life, Clare Abshire when she is six years old and he is 36. They spend the next fourteen or so years with Henry jumping in and out of her life as she grows up and learns to love him. They finally begin their “real-time” relationship when she is 20 and Henry is 28.

Henry has no control over his travels. He appears to be suffering from a genetic condition that pulls him suddenly into his past or future. He is constantly meeting people at various times in their lives. In fact, he often spends time with his own past or future self. There are a lot of confusing moments in the book, ones were the reader has to stop and figure out exactly where in the time-line we currently are. I found a lot of this difficult to both understand and to follow, but aside from the science fiction, Henry and Clare’s love story is one of mutual care and consideration. They are truly soul mates who are meant for each other and their romantic attachment was the best part of the story. They share both the good and the bad times. And yes, there is great love and happiness but there is also great sadness and sorrow.

I freely admit that I am not a fan of time travel books and there were times when I truly was irritated with that side of the story, but I pushed on through and did find a reward of sorts with the relationship that built between Henry and Clare. While I can appreciate the originality of The Time Traveler’s Wife, it didn’t quite work for me. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 4, 2021 |
This is an engaging love story along the lines of The Notebook. I'm glad my cousin recommended it. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Det ER en god historie. Men det er en skam at den gode historie pakkes ind i alt for meget ligegyldigt fyld om restaurantbesøg og madlavning.

Mine tårekanaler var under pres, men de modstod presset, og jeg havde under læsningen hele tiden en fornemmelse af at det kunne være så godt hvis bare lige fedtet blev skåret fra. Især de første 300 sider var lange. ( )
  heineaaen | Apr 4, 2021 |
One of my first picks for the 2021 PopSugar Reading Challenge...
I did not finish it for a while and when I reread from the start, I was turned-off by the unnecessary sex scenes. (minus 1 star for that)
For days I've been trying to finish it but I'd fall asleep and had to read again (oops, sorry!)
I had many questions and they were answered at middle part of the book. To me, the last portion is the best part.
If I never fell inlove I won't feel anything about their love for each other. (As it turns out, my love life is also complicated by different time zones.) ( )
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |
Review from 2012

Gripping all the way through. Beautiful, heartwarming and painful. The ending, where he sees her again for the last time, was perfect. Incredibly clever and moving story. ( )
  crimsonraider | Apr 1, 2021 |
The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bagnoli, KatiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Berman, FredNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strole, PhoebeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

— J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

—DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,—just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 161174430X, 1622319095

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,900,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible