A Cool Moonlight

by Angela Johnson

Nine-year-old Lila, born with xeroderma pigmentosum, a skin disease that make her sensitive to sunlight, makes secret plans to feel the sun's rays on her tenth birthday.

The first person narrator is Lila, an 8-year-old girl who is so allergic to sunlight, that she can never go outside in the daytime. She tells us about the few months leading up to her ninth birthday. Her parents are only mentioned a few times, so we don't know them at all. Her sister, Monk, and her friend, David, we learn a little about. And then there is a big focus on two imaginary friends. In the end, Lila is the only character we actually get to know well, and not a great deal happens. I felt like there must be a great deal of symbolism, metaphor, etc. that I just totally missed.
The author also made the irritating decision to write the book without using any capital letters. If there was any reason for that, it too was lost on me. ( )
  fingerpost | Feb 3, 2021 |
l LOVE this book because it is so inspiring and it shows emotion it is really deep it is about a girl who is allergic to sun light I could tell that she dose want to go in the sunlight but in the end she likes being different I think it is so cool to learn what it is like to not go in the sun wen I read the book it felt like I was in it it was so suspenseful ( )
  lillybennett | Nov 11, 2014 |
this is a amazing book,its unbealivingly well writen.It`s veary intracitly ditailed,and veary heart warming.Over all it`s a great story and I recamend it to all ages. ( )
  KatiePU | Oct 10, 2014 |
This author is one of my favorite YA writers.

In this story, eight-year old Lila was born with a dangerous allergy to sunlight. Living a sheltered life with loving parents and an older sister, accustomed to living in darkness, Lila longs for light.

Creating magical imaginary friends, Lila plays with the girls who have wings and together they romp in the moonlight.

When her friends present her with a bag and tell her they will add items that will allow her to thrive in sunlight, Lila grows hopeful.

This is a story of hope and love. While I liked the tale, I was bothered by the authors lack of capitalization. Perhaps there is a metaphor in this, but I failed to be charmed by it. ( )
  Whisper1 | Aug 1, 2013 |
Lila has a rare illness that makes her very sensitive to sunlight. She can't be exposed to the sun at all, so she stays inside during the day, being home-schooled by her mother. She is socially isolated with a vivid imagination. This book tells the story of the months approaching her ninth birthday, while she and her two imaginary friends are trying to find a way to cure her of her disease. Lila narrates the story with simple vocabulary, avoiding most capitalization, which can be somewhat unsettling, and lets the reader do most of the thinking, rather than spelling out every thought. Throughout the story, Lila is learning to grow up. Ages 9-12. Recommended for additional purchase. ( )
  mossing | Oct 25, 2011 |

Notable Lists

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,229,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible