The Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV)

by Anonymous

8,046120835 (4.03)42
The King James Version of 1611 has been the most widely known and quoted version of the Bible for four centuries, and has shaped both Western culture and the English language. The Standard Text Bible offers the text of the King James Version in an exceptionally clear and readable type. The size of the Bible makes it a handy buy for someone who wants a Bible with readable type, but which is nor too heavy or bulky to carry. This Bible has a glossary of 14 pages which explains some of the lesser known words of 17th Century English, and a Bible reading plan. Bound in a flexible French Morocco leather, the Standard Text Bible represents exceptional value.… (more)
    Holy Bible - Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) by Wartburg Project (divinepeacelutheran)
    divinepeacelutheran: My go-to version of the Bible. No additions or deletions. Easy to read.
    The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell (PlaidStallion)
    PlaidStallion: So Campbell married one of his students. But don’t let that distract you in case you’re using the Bible as an excuse to avoid getting your COVID jab:

MOYERS: Well, I have often wondered, what would a member of a hunting tribe on the North American plains think, gazing up on Michelangelo’s creation!

CAMPBELL: That is certainly not the god of other traditions. In the other mythologies, one puts oneself in accord with the world, with the mixture of good and evil. But in the religious system of the Near East, you identify with the good and fight against the evil. The biblical traditions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all speak with derogation of the so-called nature religions.
            The shift from a nature religion to a sociological religion makes it difficult for us to link back to nature. But actually all of those cultural symbols are perfectly susceptible to interpretation in terms of the psychological and cosmological systems, if you choose to look at them that way.
            Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck to its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.

MOYERS: What is the metaphor?

CAMPBELL: A metaphor is an image that suggests something else. For instance, if I say to a person, “You are a nut,” I’m not suggesting that I think the person is literally a nut. “Nut” is a metaphor. The reference of the metaphor in religious traditions is to something transcendent that is not literally any thing. If you think that the metaphor is itself the reference, it would be like going to a restaurant, asking for the menu, seeing beefsteak written there, and starting to eat the menu.
            For example, Jesus ascended to heaven. The denotation would seem to be that somebody ascended to the sky. That’s literally what is being said. But if that were really the meaning of the message, then we have to throw it away, because there would have been no such place for Jesus literally to go. We know that Jesus could not have ascended to heaven because there is no physical heaven anywhere in the universe. Even ascending at the speed of light, Jesus would still be in the galaxy. Astronomy and physics have simply eliminated that as a literal, physical possibility. But if you read “Jesus ascended to heaven” in terms of its metaphoric connotation, you see that he has gone inward—not into outer space but into inward space, to the place from which all being comes, into the consciousness that is the source of all things, the kingdom of heaven within. The images are outward, bur their reflection is inward. The point is that we should ascend with him by going inward. It is a metaphor of returning to the source, alpha and omega, of leaving the fixation on the body behind and going to the body’s dynamic source.

MOYERS: Aren’t you undermining one of the great traditional doctrines of the classic Christian faith—that the burial and the resurrection of Jesus prefigures our own?

CAMPBELL: That would be a mistake in the reading of the symbol. That is reading the words in terms of prose instead of in terms of poetry, reading the metaphor in terms of the denoration instead of the connotation.
    … (more)
    Commentary on Song of Songs by John F. Brug (divinepeacerockwall)
    Isaiah II: An Exposition of Isaiah 40-66 by August Pieper (divinepeacerockwall)
    A Commentary on Romans 1-8 by David P. Kuske (divinepeacerockwall)
    A Commentary on Psalms 1-72 by John F. Brug (divinepeacerockwall)
    A Commentary on Genesis 1-11 by Carl J. Lawrenz (divinepeacerockwall)
    A Commentary on Romans 9-16 by David P. Kuske (divinepeacerockwall)
    A Commentary on Psalms 73-150 by John F. Brug (divinepeacerockwall)
    Ministers of Christ : 2 Corinthians by John P Meyer (divinepeacerockwall)
    Revelation: The Distant Triumph Song by Siegbert W. Becker (divinepeacerockwall)
    Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible by David Plotz (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: An honest description of what the Bible actually says.
    A Commentary on 1 & 2 Peter, Jude by David P. Kuske (divinepeacerockwall)
    2 Timothy : Be Strong by Irwin J. Habeck (divinepeacerockwall)
    A Commentary on Galatians and Paul's Rhapsody in Christ: A Commentary on Ephesians by John Philipp Koehler (divinepeacerockwall)
    Ephesians : Amazing Grace by Irwin J. Habeck (divinepeacerockwall)
    A Commentary on 1 & 2 Thessalonians by David P. Kuske (divinepeacerockwall)
    Why I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects by Bertrand Russell (PlaidStallion)
    PlaidStallion: You have to respect him for admitting that he was unsure of whether he was an atheist or an agnostic. But you can’t refute the quote from his book:

A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men.
    … (more)
    The Holy Bible: New International Version (NIV) by Zondervan (witybe)
    witybe: I love reading the Holy Bible and the international version, it breaks words down more so you can understand. It offers me hope in a hopeless world, and’ that there is more to life than what we see or experience day to day; that there was, and still is a spiritual realm around us, which is God and His son Jesus, long before mankind was even created. The Bible informs us that we were created, and did not just appear or form here. It even gives us hope in our death if we believe. Directing us to what is good, and that there is goodness always present, and to what is evil, and why there is evil always present as well. The Holy Bible to me is the Spirit of God reaching down through an infinite expanse of time, using mankind; the prophets of old, touching generations of people, enlightening those who will hear and believe, so that they may help others who will receive and believe. Otherwise without the Holy Bible we all might have been agnostic and generations would have been oblivious about God. The Bible is a light in a very dark world’ that is relentlessly getting darker. Everyone should give it a read in their life rather you’re a believer or not. I give The Holy Bible five stars, nothing else on this planet offers such hope in life and death in this crazy world we live in.… (more)
    The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker (PlaidStallion)
    PlaidStallion: God, Jesus, Virgin Mary, and only to be fair, Yahweh, Allah, Mohammed, Shiva, Buddha, Zeus, Odin, Horus, Emperor of Heaven, Haile Selassie, Great Spirit, Spider Grandmother and the Flying Spaghetti Monster; and Santa Claus and Beelzebub too—take a lesson:

The longest-standing right-wing opposition to the sciences of human nature comes from the religious sectors of the coalition, especially Christian fundamentalism. Anyone who doesn’t believe in evolution is certainly not going to believe in the evolution of the mind, and anyone who believes in an immaterial soul is certainly not going to believe that thought and feeling consist of information processing in the tissues of the brain.

The religious opposition to evolution is fueled by several moral fears. Most obviously, the fact of evolution challenges the literal truth of the creation story in the Bible and thus the authority that religion draws from it. As one creationist minister put it, “If the Bible gets it wrong in biology, then why should I trust the Bible when it talks about morality and salvation?”

But the opposition to evolution goes beyond a desire to defend biblical literalism. Modern religious people may not believe in the literal truth of every miracle narrated in the Bible, but they do believe that humans were designed in God’s image and placed on earth for a larger purpose—namely, to live a moral life by following God’s commandments. If humans are accidental products of the mutation and selection of chemical replicators, they worry, morality would have no foundation and we would be left mindlessly obeying biological urges. One creationist, testifying to this danger in front of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee, cited the lyrics of a rock song: “You and me baby ain’t nothin’ but mammals / So let’s do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel” After the 1999 lethal rampage by two teenagers at Columbine High School in Colorado, Tom Delay, the Republican Majority Whip in the House of Representatives, said that such violence is inevitable as long as “our school systems teach children that they are nothing but glorified apes, evolutionized out of some primordial soup of mud.
    … (more)

English (118)  German (1)  All languages (119)
This book is a difficult read.

I would classify it as an historical account in passing.

note: I in fact read the NKJV by Thomas Nelson publishers around 836pgs, non-red letter, black mock leather bound cover, not the one shown. The publishing date was recent also. ( )
  Arthur_Kennedy | Aug 8, 2021 |
Engraved with Peggy King
  wjvoss | May 29, 2021 |
Examples of exclusivity:
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God..." Romans 8:28.

Examples of importance of cowering to the Will of a powerful God.
"Wherefore, be ye not unwise but understanding what the will of the Lord is." Ephesians 5:17.

Examples of requiring impossibilities.
"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks; for, this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I Thes. 5:16-18.

Examples of collective calls. "And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also ye are called in one body." Col. 3:15.

Does this fill anyone with Grace?
  keylawk | Mar 15, 2021 |
Like most ancient works of literature, the storytelling is a sloppy and unedited collection of tall tales about questionable historical events, but this really did not have to be such a long read. The entire book should have been trimmed to maybe 200 pages, as the majority of what is written can be omitted without removing anything from the overall storyline. I understand that due to the difficulty required in writing in ancient times it was hard to edit things over, and most writings were first draft material, but the Epic of Gilgamesh was an easy read and Homer's epics weren't so bad either. There was just so much unnecessary info included in the Bible, like lists of ancestors.
The first five books obviously originated in oral tradition, especially Genesis. That's why the story is so convoluted, full of holes and missing details, with some details that sound like they've been passed through word of mouth until removed of any meaning. Several of the stories were stolen from Sumerian folklore as well. About halfway through Exodus to the end of Leviticus was a huge list of laws, most of which are extremely brutal or make absolutely no sense and lack relevance today. A large portion is dedicated to the construction of the temple, which is listed down to the smallest detail. Numbers is just a detailed census-like statement counting things.
The remainder of the Old Testament is filled with tales of God's wrath and the oppression he unleashes upon the world. God is a very brutal character, perhaps the most evil, tyrannous character in the whole novel. Not only is he a narcissistic, powerhungry brute with possessive tendencies and a huge temper problem, but he has absolutely no redeemable qualities about him. After all he created an entire world of people just to worship him and makes extreme demands of them like an abusive husband who clearly wants to be disappointed. It's no wonder that so many of the the minor characters lose faith and disobey him. People don't owe the guy just because he created them out of clay or whatever.
Psalms and Proverbs don't contain the wisdom they're reputed to have. Mostly a bunch of obvious observations, unsolicited advice, and religious fanaticism.
The New Testament was more of a political statement of its time than anything else. The story of Jesus, retold over and over in the first few books, was a criticism of the corruption that was going on among other Jews at the time under the influence of Roman authority. This was continued in Paul's letters.
Revelations showed us the true motive of the Nazarene movement, which was to overthrow the Roman Empire, or at the very least to get them to leave the Jews alone. The whole book was written in code under the wrath of Nero, who notoriously persecuted the Nazarenes. In order to escape the understanding of the Romans, it was written in a manner that only Jews at the time would understand, especially Nazarenes. It was a promise, a call-to-action, to bring forth the fall of Rome, which was already on its decline. The promise was to come "soon", within a few generations. The devil worship and blasphemies spoken of referred to the worship of the Roman emperors and their customs such as orgies, homosexuality, and prostitution that all broke the laws of the Bible. When it said the number of the beast but omitted the name, it was referring to Nero. 666 (or 616) is the sum of Hebrew letters in the name Nero[n] Caesar. The conquests, storms, and earthquakes weren't predictions of geological events; they symbolized the civil unrest and revolution that would be brought upon Rome by the Nazarenes once they'd grow in power. The mission would be to turn the entirety of Rome into a kingdom of God through violent revolution. A couple of centuries later, this became only partially true. When Constantine converted to Christianity, he set Rome up for the reign of Christianity that oppressed Europe throughout the Middle Ages, but this was far from a violent revolution. The symbolic "apocalypse" aka the fall of Rome came not from the Christians but from the Germanic invaders of the north. Christianity, too, lost its message as a mission for the liberation of the Jews and the end of corruption. The Nazarenes hadn't even hoped for anything beyond this. But instead it became a tool for corruption and oppression by the very people they sought to destroy. Instead of burning to the ground, Rome (symbolized by Babylon) became the center of Christianity instead of Jerusalem and Israel, the promised land. Constantine, being a clever politician, managed to put a stop to the rising threat of the Nazarenes by adopting their religion, simultaneously granting his successors a powerful tool to control the masses. And for almost two millennia rulers have followed in his lead, using the failed Nazarene movement to control people who were perfectly ignorant of the origins of the document.
It's absurd that after all these years people are still gullible enough take this book literally, and actually believe it to be of some value. It's hardly even useful as a historical document. ( )
  celestialfarmer | Feb 1, 2021 |
For those of you who are having some trouble reading the fine in many Bibles, we have a large print King James Version Bible. It has nice large print as wellas pages that are not too thin so it is easier to turn pages. Besides the Old and New Testament it contains a dictionary/concordance and a few maps and a few other references to make Bible study easier. It is found on the library shelves under the number 220.5/Bib. Since this is a common number for Bibles, be sure to look for the words “Giant Print Presentation Edition” on the spine of the Bible.
  salem.colorado | Dec 26, 2020 |
For my children, their children, and all the generations to come

Caritas aeternum est

THE TRANSLATORS OF THE BIBLE,
wish Grace, Mercie, and Peace, through
IESVS
CHRIST our LORD.
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."
Bibliographical introduction. Mainly, no doubt, because of the predominance of French as the language of educated people in England from the time of the Norman Conquest until the middle of the fourteenth century, the Bible, as a whole, remained untranslated into English until the last years of the life of Wyclif.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
For God so loved ye world, that he gave his only begotten Sonne: that whosoever beleeveth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Various printings and bindings of the KJV have been combined here. This translation is also known as the "Authorized Version" (especially in the UK) and as the "Authorized King James Version". Please continue to combine any printing with the Old and New Testament texts only here. Please do not combine KJV editions that contain the Apocrypha with this work. Various "study editions" with extensive notes and aids should not be combined here. Please separate any that are here, and combine such editions as separate works.

This edition does not include the Apocrypha, which were included in the Authorized Version under the authority of King James.
This book contains the complete English text of the Holy Bible as translated under the authority of King James. Some unique features of this printing include a full color picture of Jesus teaching, the words of Jesus highlighted in red, and three full color maps. For reference, the book included a 125 page concordance plus tables explaining weights, money, and bibical measurements, a summary of all the books of the Bible, and an explanation of the languages used in the Bible.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,227,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible