The Holy Bible : containing the Old and New…

The Holy Bible : containing the Old and New Testaments, according to the… (edition 1844)

Member:lizlem
Title:The Holy Bible : containing the Old and New Testaments, according to the authorized versionwith introductory and concluding remarks to each book of the Old and New Testaments; and the references and marginal readings of the Polyglott Bible, with numerous additions from Bagster's Comprehensive Bible and a valuable chronological index.
Authors:
Info:Robinson, Pratt & Co.
Collections:Your library, Genealogy
Tags:Bible, genealogy

Holy Bible: King James Version

NIV Holy Bible by Zondervan (witybe)
    witybe: I love reading the Holy Bible and the international version, it breaks words down more so you can understand. It offers me hope in a hopeless world, and’ that there is more to life than what we see or experience day to day; that there was, and still is a spiritual realm around us, which is God and His son Jesus, long before mankind was even created. The Bible informs us that we were created, and did not just appear or form here. It even gives us hope in our death if we believe. Directing us to what is good, and that there is goodness always present, and to what is evil, and why there is evil always present as well. The Holy Bible to me is the Spirit of God reaching down through an infinite expanse of time, using mankind; the prophets of old, touching generations of people, enlightening those who will hear and believe, so that they may help others who will receive and believe. Otherwise without the Holy Bible we all might have been agnostic and generations would have been oblivious about God. The Bible is a light in a very dark world’ that is relentlessly getting darker. Everyone should give it a read in their life rather you’re a believer or not. I give The Holy Bible five stars, nothing else on this planet offers such hope in life and death in this crazy world we live in.… (more)
    Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible by David Plotz (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: An honest description of what the Bible actually says.

English (100)  German (1)  All languages (101)
Ah the Bible. This particular version is the King James version of 1611. Contained within this volume are illustrations of biblical passages, a history of the King James Translation as a whole, and the entire text of the Bible in tiny print. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with this book, since a great deal of it has always confused and angered me. Perhaps wiser people than I can enlighten me about the purpose of hell to a loving and all forgiving God. But no matter, we have Jesus right? The guy that cursed a fig tree for no reason.

Okay, I would say I am a religious skeptic, but that would be an understatement. I started my doubts when I was around ten or eleven years of age. Back then I distinctly remember finding Church service depressing. Oh don't get me wrong, it was boring, but that isn't what bothered me. I hated the way of worship itself. All the bowing and scraping to the "All Mighty God" seemed stupid to me. The tone is all wrong for what we are saying. What evidence is there of a God that actually cares for us one whit? Isn't God supposed to want our happiness? Why isn't Church fun? These are the things that bothered me as a child. Even if I was to pray, what does that mean to God at all? It's not like anything ever happened due to prayer. It can't be proven to have any effect, and in some cases it is actually detrimental. Take the Christian Scientist. Certainly prayer offers a piece of mind, a crutch to stand on, hope for the future, but healing a disease? Ridiculous. My great-grandfather was a Christian Scientist. He had a massive buildup of water in his lungs and body, but refused to go to a doctor. Then my great-grandmother went and said she was leaving him if he didn't go since she didn't want to go and bury another husband. The doctors removed over forty pounds of fluid from his body.

So these are the things that bothered me as a child. Take the Biblical story of the Fall of Mankind for instance. How in the seven seas does God not know what is happening to his creation at any given time if he is supposed to be omniscient? Does that mean something other than knowing everything that is to happen? Why does he ask these stupid questions? Doesn't he know that some random demon or creature in the form of a snake told Eve to eat a fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? Moreover, if he is Omniscient, what does that do to Free Will? This is only the story of the fall, I'm just getting started.

So God made it so that childbirth would be painful. I think some web cartoonist summed it up best when they had Eve sardonically comment that having a child come out of your vagina was going to hurt now and not before. So anyway, we have more of the Bible being vague and useless. Where do the other people come from? Are you seriously telling me that Eve had enough sex with Adam to populate entire villages? Or did God make more human beings that aren't mentioned? I guess the bible does mention that Adam lived for ... what was that figure... something around 900 years, so they might have had time. Still kind of disturbing with all of the incest though.

Then we get to Abraham. So God blesses him in his old age with a son, and in a typically Bipolar manner demands that Abraham kill him as a sacrifice. I know this is written off as some kind of test of faith, but I can't help feeling from this and other stories that God just enjoys screwing with people. Take Job for instance. Job was all happy and a great follower of God. Then the Devil who just so happens to be on speaking terms with God has a little talk and convinces God to "taketh away." Horrible things happen to Job, his family is killed, maimed and enslaved. His property is destroyed or killed. He develops horrible boils and disfiguring ailments that make his life a terrible living hell. Then he continues worshiping God and God is all like "This was only a test of the emergency broadcast system" and gives him back all of his stuff. As if a family can be replaced.

Did I miss Noah? I probably missed Noah. So God commands some guy named Noah to build a giant boat to put all the beasts of land and air into so that God can do a clean reinstall of the Earth. Noah does this. His boat is not only big enough to house all of the beasts, but also food for them and his family. I don't know how long a cubit is, but I was told that it was roughly the distance from your elbow to the tip of your middle finger. I just never believed that a boat like that could hold all of creation.

So we get to Lot. Sodom and Gomorrah were cities back in the day. God hated them though and wanted to destroy them, since he is filled with so much love. So God spares Lot and his family, but tells them not to look back or else. So God doesn't understand human nature huh? God doesn't realize that when your home is being destroyed by fire from the sky that people are going to look at the spectacle? So God turns Lot's Wife (who doesn't even get the dignity of a name) into a pillar of salt. Seems like God just wanted an excuse to go and turn someone into a pillar of salt to me. That doesn't end the tale of Lot though. His daughters want some offspring and get their father drunk enough to sleep with both of them. Read that sentence again. Lot's daughters somehow get Lot so drunk that he doesn't realize he is having sex with them. And God doesn't care, or at least he doesn't seem to.

New testament stuff is all good though right? Right. Jesus talks about how the fires of hell will consume you and how you should abandon everything to follow him for no reason. One minute he talks of turning the other cheek and in the next he is whipping people that set up shop in "his father's house." Seems legit. Most of the New Testament is about the early Church right? Letters to Bishops and other stories. Then you have The Revelation of St. John the Divine, which I guess I thought was cool when I was younger. The weird drug fueled beasts, the end of days, blah blah... all of that stuff seemed really cool I guess. I was a pretty weird kid. His other miracles are suspect too. Like the multiplication of loaves and fishes. They even tried to explain that miracle to me by saying that it was the miracle of sharing. He did the water to wine thing though right? The raising of the dead? Making the blind to see? Curing leprosy? Wow. Couldn't he do something better? Flying might be neat. Though I guess he did calm a storm and walk on water.

Then there is the whole Judas thing. So basically in order for Jesus to even die for our sins, someone had to be the heel right? Why isn't he venerated as the greatest of the apostles, the only one that followed through with his destiny and allowed us to be saved? Peter denied being Jesus' friend three times, none of the Apostles besides John were with him in his time of need. Oh that's right, he "betrayed" Jesus for silver. Blah. This is enough for the ultimate forgiveness of putting him in the ninth circle of Hell, where he is chewed on by one of Satan's three mouths for all eternity. He loves you so much after all. Then again, I am taking that scene from Inferno by Dante...

So basically, I really doubt that Jesus was the son of God born of a virgin. I don't doubt that he existed, since there might be census records and things. His acts don't really make me believe, and the acts done in his name aren't really flattering his memory.

So all in all, the Bible is ... okay. There is stuff in there that might have happened with artistic license. But it is quite a silly book to base a faith on when someone is capable of reading what it says. Two out of five, miiiiiight read again. Who knows. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Logos Library
  birdsnare | May 16, 2019 |
There are questions to which the passing of the years have not given easy answers.

...........................

I think we tend to judge teachings by the behavior of the people who claim them, but I think that what we really need to ask is not, Were they perfectly healed, but, Were they better than they would have been without the treatment.

..............................

I don’t aspire to be a tribal leader like Moses, but I’m also grateful that I wasn’t assigned to build society from the ground up.

..............................

“If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken, twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools....”

..............................

Any problem that comes from reading the Bible poorly can be transferred to some other book; any problem that comes from reading the Bible poorly can be solved by reading it well.
  smallself | Dec 28, 2018 |
Peckham Family Bible with vital records listed in middle.
  lizlem | Dec 19, 2018 |
My childhood Bible. Not a lot of features in modern terms, but I loved poring over the maps in the back, and reading the glossary with all the unusual words defined. ( )
  shabacus | Jun 22, 2018 |
For my children, their children, and all the generations to come

Caritas aeternum est

THE TRANSLATORS OF THE BIBLE,
wish Grace, Mercie, and Peace, through
IESVS
CHRIST our LORD.
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."
Bibliographical introduction. Mainly, no doubt, because of the predominance of French as the language of educated people in England from the time of the Norman Conquest until the middle of the fourteenth century, the Bible, as a whole, remained untranslated into English until the last years of the life of Wyclif.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
For God so loved ye world, that he gave his only begotten Sonne: that whosoever beleeveth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Various printings and bindings of the KJV have been combined here. This translation is also known as the "Authorized Version" (especially in the UK) and as the "Authorized King James Version". Please continue to combine any printing with the Old and New Testament texts only here. Please do not combine KJV editions that contain the Apocrypha with this work. Various "study editions" with extensive notes and aids should not be combined here. Please separate any that are here, and combine such editions as separate works.

This edition does not include the Apocrypha, which were included in the Authorized Version under the authority of King James.
This book contains the complete English text of the Holy Bible as translated under the authority of King James. Some unique features of this printing include a full color picture of Jesus teaching, the words of Jesus highlighted in red, and three full color maps. For reference, the book included a 125 page concordance plus tables explaining weights, money, and bibical measurements, a summary of all the books of the Bible, and an explanation of the languages used in the Bible.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0834003503, Imitation Leather)

It's great to have plenty of choices when a Bible that's easy on the eyes and the wallet is called for. All three of these editions feature 15.5-point type that is exceptionally crisp even under subdued lighting conditions. The Presentation Editions flexible, soft imitation leather binding makes it easy to hold and carry.

The Deluxe Edition is a classic "preacher's Bible." Bound in buttery-soft genuine leather, it is the prefect gift for holding in one's hand while delivering a sermon or teaching from the Scriptures. This edition fits the bill as a special gift for the preacher, evangelist or Bible college graduate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:44 -0400)

Translated out of the original tongues, and with the former translations diligently compared and revised, by his Majesty's special command : appointed to be read in churches : authorized King James version.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,432,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible