Nicki (American Girl Today) by Ann Howard…

Nicki (American Girl Today) (edition 2007)

by Ann Howard Creel (Author)

Series: American Girl Today (Nicki 1), American Girls (American Girl Today: Nicki 1)

When ten-year-old Nicki agrees to take over the training of Sprocket, a service dog, it is just one more thing in her overly full schedule, but much to her surprise, dog training teaches Nicki a valuable skill--how to stand up for herself. Includes photographs and essay on training service dogs.
Member:rgeiger15
Title:Nicki (American Girl Today)
Authors:Ann Howard Creel (Author)
Info:American Girl (2007), 136 pages

Work Information

Nicki (American Girl Today) by Ann Howard Creel

In this book Nicki is very cautious about her life. Her mother is pregnant with identical twins. Nicki's mother is a service dog trainer. When Nicki's mother discovers she is pregnant she asks Nicki to train one of the dogs. Nicki is cautious about this, she loves animals, but a year ago at the science fair she raised a lamb. When the lamb had to go back to the farm Nicki had been heart-broken for months. Nicki is worried that if she trains this dog she will become to close to him, but she agrees. Later in the book Nicki goes to a party. She brings the service dog, Sprocket, with her. At the party a girl named h=Heather starts to throw Sprocket pizza and sugar. Nicki sees Heather doing this and tells her to "Stop, it will ruin his chance at becoming a service. You are feeding him unhealthy food, and it is causing his training to fail.". Heather does not appreciate this and argues with Nicki. Nicki finally leaves. Later Nicki takes Sprocket for a walk. Sprocket gets off his leash and goes missing. When Nicki hears a whimper, and sees Sprocket had been struck by a porcupine. As she pulls out the quills, she realizes that she stood up against her friends because she loves Sprocket.

This book is by far one of my favorites. It made me think about how I want my career to be with animals, and I can start now. It made me think I can volunteer for different things and acts of service. I love this book because of Nicki's passion for animals. I love how the blended the details together. The book made me think of how much a difference we can make. As I read the book I thought about the different ways we can help the world and those with disabilities. I think the authors message was that sometimes we need to say "No" and stand for our standards. ( )
  Abbyu1.B3 | Mar 10, 2014 |
Nicki has one small problem- she can't say "No" when people ask her to do things. She's always been busy with chores and schoolwork, but she finds herself helping out her pregnant mother, caring for a guide dog, and planning the decorations for the school gala. Nicki's activities not only reduce her free time, they also strain her friendship. Nicki finally learns how to say no and how to balance herself a little better. ( )
  t1bclasslibrary | Jan 8, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

American Girls (American Girl Today: Nicki 1)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,984,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible