dismiss

Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a…

Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier (edition 2007)

by Vincent Wyckoff (Author)

One sunny day on his postal route, Vincent Wyckoff crosses the path of an elderly gentleman whistling for his lost parakeet. The old man is upset, and Wyckoff moves down the block slowly, looking high and low, hoping to spot the little bird. He reaches the man's house and offers sympathy to his wife, who smiles sadly and says, "We haven't had that bird for twenty-five years."   Letter carriers like Wyckoff walk through the same neighborhood each day, observing the lives and routines of its residents. They learn its stories, make connections between people, and, in many ways, become the common thread that connects neighbors to one another. Along Wyckoff's mail route, Native American children teach him about totems. He finds assistance for a reclusive chain-smoking book collector who can't maintain his property. He delivers a much-delayed registered letter mailed from Saigon in 1976. Over the years, Wyckoff sees the neighborhood of blue-collar retirees change as a diverse group of younger people move in and raise their families.   Celebrating the triumphs in everyday life and demonstrating the danger of trusting first impressions, Beware of Cat reveals the inner workings of an ordinary place of extraordinary interest.   Vincent Wyckoff was a laborer, a construction worker, and a sheetmetal worker before he became a letter carrier in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1990. This is his first book.… (more)
Member:mirrorlake
Title:Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier
Authors:Vincent Wyckoff (Author)
Info:Borealis Books (2007), Edition: 1, 204 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Memoirs, Heartwarming

Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier by Vincent Wyckoff

An okay memoir of a letter carrier's encounters over a long career in Minneapolis. Enjoyable, light, fast read. No real meat here. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 26, 2016 |
okay not great ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Couldn't finish this book. It seemed so banal to me, and I just didn't care what happened next. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
When I picked this up in a little bookshop near the University of Minnesota, I didn't realize that it was by a local author. It was a real treat for me to read the memoirs of a letter carrier in a portion of Minneapolis that I may have lived in at one point (he's a little vague about the exact area, but I think I recognized some landmarks). His anecdotes are both hilarious and touching, and I learned quite a bit about the ins and out of postal service. In fact, I put a gift card in my mailbox for my own carrier. I get a lot of books in the mail and this book made me feel very sorry for making him carry them around, particularly in the frigid Minnesota winters! ( )
  EmScape | Aug 18, 2011 |
It's an interesting read in the sense that letter carriers must run into some fascinating characters. Wyckoff has some good tales, and I enjoyed the book as a light read and for its local color.

However, it does read a bit like a series of creative writing exercises. Clear, but not remarkable. ( )
  tsjoseph | Jul 7, 2009 |
For MacKenzie Wyckoff—

this is what your grandpa did
After delivering mail on the same route for over fifteen years, I’ve become something of a fixture in the lives of more than five hundred residents in a quiet neighborhood in South Minneapolis.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,751,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible