Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns) by…

Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns) (edition 2007)

by Kevin J. Anderson

One of the today's most successful science fiction writers, Kevin J. Anderson is the author of many popular Star Wars and X-Files novels, as well as his bestselling Dune prequels, coauthored with Brian Herbert. Now Anderson returns with a stunning new chapter in the Saga of Seven Suns, his boldly imagined epic of interstellar intrigue and adventure... The war between the alien hydrogues and the faeros rages, reducing suns to blackened shells-including one of the fabled seven suns of the Ildiran Empire. Instead of protecting themselves, the Ildirans engage in bloody civil war and the many factions of humanity are bitterly divided. Can mankind and Ildirans overcome their own internal fighting to face a deadly new enemy that is ready to annihilate them? Newly ascended to the Ildiran throne, Mage-Imperator Jora'h must quash the rebellion launched by his mad brother before the hydrogues destroy what is left of the empire. Assailed from all sides, Jora'h turns to his beloved half-human daughter, dispatching her on a desperate mission to make peace with the hydrogues. Hope for humanity now rests with Jess Tamblyn, who continues to seed worlds with the watery wentals, the mortal enemies of the hydrogues. And on the ravaged planet of Theroc, home to a telepathic worldforest, a dead man is resurrected to prepare for the arrival of mysterious new allies in the fight. But Chairman Basil Wenceslas's vendetta against the free-spirited Roamers has blinded him to danger closer to home-the soldier machines that make up the backbone of the Hansa fighting force. King Peter has long suspected that the compies, built with the help of the ancient Klikiss robots, cannot be trusted. Now the shocking proof comes when the Klikiss launch their long-planned extermination of all things flesh and blood. And in the ensuing battle, humans and Ildirans alike will face their darkest choices yet...… (more)
Member:dharding
Title:Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns)
Authors:Kevin J. Anderson
Info:Orbit (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages
Tags:unowned, swapin

Scattered Suns by Kevin J. Anderson

Recently added byNeverEsfacas, jpbronco, private library, bobf32, TBrugnera, Daffadah, jimpike69, Crikey, ggoldby

English (5)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (7)
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer. Title: Scattered Suns Series: Saga of the Seven Suns Author: Kevin Anderson Rating: 1 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: --- My Thoughts:
I am done with Anderson. Nothing in the first chapters of this book drew me on and given the track records of the previous 3 books, I thought it best to simply Abandon this book, this series and Anderson as an author. Wanted to clear out my Currently Reading list and get all the reviews out of the way before the New Years. Not a review really, but everything by Anderson just bores me. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
To be fair, right off the bat, I did not finish this book. The narrator was O.K., but I don't really like it when men try to change their voice for women. Also, this being the fourth in the series, but my first, didn't help matters. I am not a die hard fantasy fan and the many nonsensical (to me) words in this made it very difficult to follow. It had many characters that didn't grip me and a lot of it seemed gleaned from other fantasy works. But don't let me stop you from reading it, I just picked up the wrong book for me. Oh, and you should probably start with the first one if you try it! ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 6, 2011 |
More finished then yet to be finished. That is a good thing with this series. This series is too long.

So long that it can put you to sleep.

Technically there are things that make your suspension of disbelief impossible because the author does not dot his eyes and cross his tees. We have the problem of time, over and over again. Some pages you can jump across the galaxy in hours, and on others it takes months.

This is because all of this is done to propel the human story. So much so that the alien races we have been introduced are really also humans. A close reading of the emotions and personalities of the aliens will show you that. Just an alien body with a human inside.

Initially the enemy was alien enough, but the addition of so many additional enemies has made that irrelevant, especially when the logical to their own way of thinking illogical robots prove to be as human as any other member of the story.

Then the illogical leaders of the story who think they can use propaganda so absolutely that they can start and continue to wage a war. A society so far advanced than ours that their is no dissident press. That there are no checks and balances on absolute power. That there no longer is a joint chiefs of staff to ensure that the military has become narrow focused.

Anderson needed to check with Turtledove who is much better at this sort of thing. Turtledove can take history (having taught it) and change the names and places but follow the path so that we can believe what we read. Even when our own world had Hitler, there were dissidents in Germany that looked for ways to remedy that, fled Germany when they saw the rise of the megalomaniacs, and many were rounded up and killed to Germany was weeded out, or knew to turn a blind eye, but knew what was occurring. In the world of Anderson, a much bigger sphere as it has most of human space under the thumb of the stories Dictator, only one or two are aware of the wrongness occurring.

It is a shame, because this could have been a lot better than it really is. ( )
1 vote DWWilkin | Jul 12, 2010 |
Book 4 of the Saga of the Seven Suns. After a rough beginning, I'm now pretty much on board with the characters now. In this volume, the Elderians became embroiled in a civil war, the Hansa attacked the outlier Roamer clans after they essentially went on strike when it was found one of their ships was destroyed by a Hansa raider, and the war against the Hydroges has taken a turn for the better, partially because of a weapon of Roamer design that shatters the diamond war globes, and partly because the ancient enemies of the Hydroges, the water-based Wentles, have joined the human cause. ( )
  JeffV | Jun 16, 2010 |
Booklist Review: Chairman Basil Wenceslas leads a beleaguered human race, and the stress is beginning to tell on him--he views any dissent, of any sort, from his leadership as treason. This, of course, does nothing to calm fears in the human colonies. Meanwhile, the divisions of allegiance among the alien Ildiran increase the pain of their leader, Jora’h, at the disruption of his people’s long-standing psychic network. The question begins to ask itself: Is the war more dangerous to both sides than the victory of either side would be? Anderson’s colossal story of the clash of space empires, Saga of the Seven Suns, has definitely been influenced by his work for the Star Wars franchise and collaboration with Brian Herbert in expanding the universe of Frank Herbert’s Dune novels. Despite all the sweep, scope, and fast action of the saga, Anderson handles the essential conflicts in it so as to enhance characterization as well as keep things moving. A fine continuation of a fine saga.
-- Roland Green (BookList, 07-01-2005, p1910) ( )
1 vote | vsandham | Sep 25, 2006 |

Kevin J. Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Silbersack,
my first editor, current agent, and longtime friend
Für John Silbersack, meinen ersten Lektor, derzeitigen Agenten und alten Freund.
Admiral Stromo war der ranghöchste Offizier an Bord des Manta-Kreuzers, aber die alltäglichen Entscheidungen überliess er Commander Elly Ramirez.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,719,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible