Understanding Basic Electricity: A Non-Technical Introduction For Everyone

by Irwin Math

This book will give the non-technical reader a general idea of what electricity is, how it is produced, how we use and measure it, as well as the dangers involved with its misuse. A previous technical understanding of electricity is absolutely not necessary, and the book does not contain any complicated mathematics. Only one simple easy-to-understand formula is provided ¬¬- no more!! This book is intended for all persons, from curious young teens to adults who want to have a better understanding of this important power source. The information given will also allow the lay person to begin to understand and even troubleshoot faulty devices, make simple repairs (often saving money in the process) and approach electricity with the respect it deserves. By carefully reading the chapters one will not only attain a good basic knowledge of electricity but be able to talk to an electrician, when necessary, knowing and understanding pretty much what he or she is explaining.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an easy-to-understand introduction to the basics of electricity. You won't be an electrician after reading this, but you will have the basic knowledge needed to understand what an electrician has to tell you. A worth while book for anybody that has electrical power in their home.
  sep780 | Jun 3, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A nice book on the basics of electricity for the beginner. While it's basic, it still has to dive into some technical language which can be boring - not the author's fault but the subject's! Handy to have on hand for when I need explanations about wiring in our house or specs on appliances but I still won't likely be pulling it off the shelf to read too often. But thanks to the author for explaining things so even us non-practical folks can understand.
  mahelmus | Mar 9, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Understanding Basic Electricity is a book that reminds me that many things we use daily is complicated. Who really thinks about grounding, voltage and amps when turning on the lights. I do not. Hw electricity works should be given to a young person before to help them understand science. With all the time we spend learning, we spend little time understanding. I admit, I was intrigued by this title because I think about electricity each time a new gadget is on the market or I think of adding a new item to the many that are currently in my living space. What does it mean to make sure something is grounded? Does anyone know the different between a circuit and a fuse? Why is electricity considered live? This book will help you understand these things. It will also make you appreciate your electrician.
  vtlucania | Feb 6, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was absolutely overwhelmed by this book. I wanted to understand something about electricity but this seemed like a master class. I couldn't understand any of it and was really overwhelmed by the amount of text.
After reading the review by the electronics engineer I was concerned that the reader would depend on figures and text that were wrong. I am not sure I would depend on this book for information. ( )
  book58lover | Jan 19, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received as an early reviewer.

As someone who understood absolutely zero about electricity prior to receiving this book, I have to say I'm very impressed with it's ability to explain the subject without alienating its audience (laypeople such as myself). This isn't the type of book I would typically pick out, but I'm very glad to have been given the chance to review it since it's done such a fine job of teaching me about a topic I have always been intimidated by! ( )
  LalenaMaximus | Dec 1, 2023 |
To WISIA,
My Primary Source of Power
Forward
Understanding Basic Electricity was written to give an ordinary reader of any age a general idea of what electricity is, how it is produced, and how we use and measure it, as well as to explain the dangers involved with its misuse. It is not intended to be a do-it-yourself manual or a list of projects, but just a simple, easily understandable explanation of what electricity is all about so as to not be "in the dark".

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Irwin Math's book Understanding Basic Electricity: A Non-Technical Introduction for Everyone was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,117,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible