Faust : erster Teil by Johann Wolfgang von…

Faust : erster Teil (original 1808; edition 1974)

by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Member:Cath.Blaauwendraad
Title:Faust : erster Teil
Authors:Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Info:Frankfurt am Main : Insel Verl., 1974.

Faust, Part One by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1808)

English (19)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  All (22)
i thoroughly enjoyed this. A very interesting tale of a scholar testing the limits of can be know, temptation, and a tragic fall. ( )
  _praxis_ | Mar 4, 2018 |
Um es wirklich zu verstehen, erfordert es schon etwas studieren, aber es liest sich auch so recht gut.
Durchaus empfehlenswert für die Allgemeinbildung. ( )
  newcastlee | Dec 30, 2017 |
I loooove that in contrast to Marlowe's Faust, where he's actually just about power and self-assertion, and Mann's, where he really was about deep knowledge and piercing the physical mysteries and developing an inhuman logic, etc., this Faust is more like a disaffected humanist--learning, and swimming in ideas and art, is what's put a spring in his step and given him a reason, and that's worn thin, and he doesn't want to know it all or pound armies into dust, he just wants to fill with easy joy again. So what he's really missing is youth--and so it's kind of no wonder this is really a love story, not a cautionary tale (or a cautionary tale about love, not about the devil): Faust and Margaret could have been the boon companions of each other's age, but marinating in great books and the like he'd never bothered to develop his concept of love beyond adolescent infatuation--he tries to make her Helen of Troy. And to maintain that kind of fantasy of limitlessness, to fight against the human life arc because it was all too beautiful, summer evenings at lectures, boozy under oak trees, is a kind of rebellion against God, I suppose. And so in contrast to the other two Fausts, where a very simple version of the caution on offer might be "Be content," here it is "Grow and change." No one would argue with that, on paper, but change means watching your old self die, and many of us (cf., in literature, obviously, Dorian Gray) have turned to different kinds of devils to keep alive the old selves we'd loved being when it was time to let them go. When what we really wanted to preserve was there for us if only the devils'd quit flitting and let us take a good look and have a think on't.

I wasn't too impressed with this translation--clunky in the attempt to simulate the German metre closely--but the illustrations from Harry Clarke were something really special (http://www.openculture.com/2015/09/harry-clarkes-1926-illustrations-of-goethes-f...). I can feel an echo of the power of the German, I think--I'd read it in the original next time, but I also think for translations there might be others better. ( )
3 vote MeditationesMartini | Dec 13, 2017 |
Holding off on further review until finished Part II. Currently finding it a little challenging to read but sticking with it as a seminal work (see for example the use of Faustian as a tag). ( )
  brakketh | Nov 15, 2017 |
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'Ozymandias'

Wer immer strebend sich bemüht,
Den können wir erlösen.
("Who ever strives with all his power,
We are allowed to save.")

-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust
In Faust, the name of the game is passion. Passion for learning, passion for love, passion for life in all its forms and facets. The deprivation of passion by the slow grind of facts and figures and hypocrisy, the boons of inheritance providing shortcuts without granting the necessary experience of true effort, and excess. When the world is at one's feet, what is there left for passion to strive for?

But until then, what will you do to achieve that world?

It's an almost impossible balance, especially when the rest of the world is thrown in at full tilt. The passion becomes split, and when one track is spent the next is sought, and the next, and the next, by any means to any measure. One may wish at the beginning to be good, but when the so-called custodians of morality sell it by the yard for a varying price, and all the esteem generated by the straight and narrow pales in comparison to the smallest glimpse of moonlit wraith, well. One must consider the odds when the devil comes a calling.

On the one hand, your wish at the immortal's command. On the other, all the ramifications of those wishes, bound as they are in a reality of finite glory, finite justice, finite truth. To go forth enraptured in the potential, and in the end consigning everything outside of that potential to the flames.

Now, who among you would proclaim yourselves worthy of judging just how far one can go?

---

Now, as this is Faust we're talking about, I know this first reading was nowhere near good enough to exempt me from future rereadings. Also, the German language is one that I am intent on mastering, and what better piece to work towards than one of, if not the, pillars of German literature? So, until we meet again, Mephisto, preferably on a span of stage that does full honors to your Walpurgisnacht. I'm very much looking forward to it. ( )
  Korrick | Feb 26, 2014 |

Ras, G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ras, G.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salm, PeterEditor and Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lawrence Brown
Ihr naht euch wieder schwankende Gestalten,

Die früh sich einst dem trüben Blick gezeigt.

(Ye draw near again wavering forms,

The early once shown the gloomy view.)
Contains only Part 1. Please don't combine with either the complete Faust or with Part 2.

Goethe's activities as poet, statesman, theatre director, critic, and scientist show him to be a genius of amazing versatility. This quality is reflected in his Faust, which ranks with the achievements of Homer, Dante, and Shakespeare. The mood of the play shifts constantly, displaying in turn the poet's controlled energy, his wit, his irony, his compassion, and above all his gift for lyrical expression. Faust, which Goethe began in his youth and worked on during the greater part of his lifetime, takes for its theme the universal experience of the troubled human soul, but its spiritual values far transcend mere satanism and its consequences.

Goethe’s masterpiece and perhaps the greatest work in German literature, Faust has made the legendary German alchemist one of the central myths of the Western world. Here indeed is a monumental Faust, an audacious man boldly wagering with the devil, Mephistopheles, that no magic, sensuality, experience, or knowledge can lead him to a moment he would wish to last forever. Here, in Faust, Part I, the tremendous versatility of Goethe’s genius creates some of the most beautiful passages in literature. Here too we experience Goethe’s characteristic humor, the excitement and eroticism of the witches’ Walpurgis Night, and the moving emotion of Gretchen’s tragic fate.

This authoritative edition, which offers Peter Salm’s wonderfully readable translation as well as the original German on facing pages, brings us Faust in a vital, rhythmic American idiom that carefully preserves the grandeur, integrity, and poetic immediacy of Goethe’s words.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:04 -0400)

After making a bargain with the devil, Faust is promiseda single moment of utter contentment in exchange for his soul, and after he regains his youth Faust travels in search of all forms of earthly pleasures.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,561,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible