HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Little Prince / Letter to a Hostage

by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Moral allegory and spiritual autobiography, The Little Princeis the most translated book in the French language. With a timeless charm it tells the story of a little boy who leaves the safety of his own tiny planet to travel the universe, learning the vagaries of adult behaviour through a series of extraordinary encounters. His personal odyssey culminates in a voyage to Earth and further adventures.Letter to a Hostage,which contains certain themes that were to appear in The Little Prince,is Saint-Exupery's optimistic and humane open letter to a Jewish intellectual hiding in occupied France in 1943.… (more)

"All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it."

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

This was one of my favourite stories when I was little a girl, it was a story filled with adventure, friendship and courage and I devoured every page each time I read it.

Reading this now as a woman, it is still one of my favourite stories, though the words are familiar, the story is far more complex, heartbreaking and deeply profound. I could never understand its true meaning until I became a "grown up".

Although I'm a grown-up, I'll always remember being a little girl, with fearless determination and an unstoppable imagination. Always exploring, making friends and asking questions, just like The Little Prince.

This is a book that everyone was meant to read, and it doesn't matter if you're a grown-up! It's life summed up in a children's book, written by an extraordinary man who met an untimely end. I only wish he could have shared more of his stories.

The stars have never shone brighter. ( )
  MandaTheStrange | Oct 7, 2020 |
Perspective ( )
  linda-irvine | Aug 6, 2010 |
Nothing like colour plates. ( )
  signature103 | May 14, 2008 |

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185627, 0141194804

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,269,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible