The hollow hills by Mary Stewart

The hollow hills (original 1973; edition 1984)

by Mary Stewart

Born on Christmas Eve, Arthur Pendragon is the illegitimate son of the married duchess Ygraine and Uther Pendragon, brother of a great king: a union Merlin arranged. But Arthur's birth is not welcomed by everyone: his father demands he be hidden until a legitimate son can be born, and Merlin is forced to give the babe to his own childhood nurse for safekeeping and go into hiding. In a dream, Merlin learns of a sword of unparalleled beauty and extraordinary craftsmanship, hidden in a long-deserted Roman temple. Merlin retrieves the sword and hides it in a cave on an island in the centre of a lake, where it remains for years. But what is hidden must be revealed. For it is foretold that the irrepressible young man named Arthur will find a sword and claim his birthright: as heir to Uther Pendragon and king of the Britons.… (more)
Member:SMBrick
Title:The hollow hills
Authors:Mary Stewart
Info:New York : Fawcett, 1984.
Collections:Your library, Read, Owned

The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart (1973)

English (38)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
Merlin seeks sword for Arthur and watches over his rearing
  ritaer | Jun 6, 2021 |
hb ( )
  5083mitzi | Apr 4, 2021 |
Way to much description of scenery for my tastes. The story itself is interesting for the telling from Merlin's point of view. This is about Merlin being in charge of Arthur's young life. However most of the book deals with Merlin traveling from place to place and not being with Arthur but making plans for him. The best part of the book and where most of the story takes place is in the last 100 pages. Liked the version of how Arthur has to deal with his first battle, the meeting of his father and how Arthur gets the sword by himself then again with all the people around him. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
This will be a short review because I have a joint blog post about this book with my co-blogger in crime, Moonlight Reader.

I still like having Merlin as the narrator in these books and we do get some insight into what power is calling to him and also to Arthur. I found Merlin to be just as obstinate as the character of Uther at times because he doesn't like to be challenged. And I think at times Stewart tries to over explain the appeal of the character of Arthur to those around him.

The women are here and gone in moments in this story. I really wish we had gotten to follow Ygraine more. We have at the end of this book the death of Uther and her long gone son becoming king, you would think she would be nearby. We do get glimpses of Morgause, but I thought her reasoning behind what she does still didn't make a lot of sense. Morgain was just talked about, a lot.

That said, most of the book dragged dreadfully. It wasn't until book four, 'The King' that the action kicked into high gear. We finally get to the end of the book with Arthur becoming king, but we also know because of the events in this one, an ill wind is blowing his way. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This is the second of Stewart's Merlin series, retelling the Arthur legends from the first-person viewpoint of Merlin. It makes some effort towards a realistic late Romano-British setting, though Merlin also has "the Sight" and sometimes believes himself to be acting on behalf of the gods, notably when he brings Uther to Igraine to beget Arthur, an event which has just happened the night before the beginning of this volume. It covers Merlin's involvement in Arthurs' upbringing, ending with Arthur's taking the throne. Since the book runs almost 500 pages, this means the action is rather slow-motion, though Stewart is a competent writer with much previous experience of writing modern adventure novels. . ( )
  antiquary | May 5, 2017 |

Mary Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my father
There was a lark singing somewhere high above.
To remember love after long sleep; to turn again to poetry after a year in the market place, or to youth after resignation to drowsy and stiffening age; to remember what once you though life could hold, after telling over with muddied and calculating fingers what it has offered; this is music, made after long silence.

The Hollow Hills takes place in a fifth-century Britain fraught with superstition and fear, where no life is safe, no law is stable, and where a king risks accusations of murder and adultery to get himself an heir. For his own safety, the boy Arthur, rejected as a bastard by his father, is long kept ignorant of his parentage.
Dangerous rides through the deep forests of england and Wales, sudden battles amidst brooding mountains, and retreats into secret hollows in the hills provide the background for this tale of Arthur's growth in to manhood and his discovery of the strange sword that was to test his claim to power.
Behind and around Arthur always is the mysterious, strong, yet vulnerable figure of Merlin, who sees and knows so much but who, like Arthur, must also suffer for the sake of a nation being born. IN this world of embattled kings and courtiers, hurried journeys, whispered anxieties, and sudden death, we watch Merlin and Arthur follow their common destiny.

Merlin is the narrator, and his prophetic voice communicates not only the bristling atmosphere of the ancient setting but also the profound relevance of this age-old tale to our own time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,419,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible