Dreaming Myself into Old Age: One Woman's Search for Meaning

by Lily Iona MacKenzie

642,678,258 (3.33)None

English (3)  French (1)  All languages (4)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have been trying to read this for months. As an old woman and a psychologist myself, I hoped to find commonalities and even kinship, but the author is so tightly focused on herself that I can't even get a foothold. At 43% of the way in, I'm calling it quits. Sorry.
  ronincats | Jul 15, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed the parts of this book where the writer reflects on her life, her journey into aging, and shares her Jungian analysis of the many dreams she has in this process. I felt that was the part of the book that matched the description and led to my picking the book out. There were some places where the book digressed, most notably when she had a chapter where she was doing some in-depth analysis of poetry that she was drawn to. There was nothing inherently wrong with that part, but it felt like a real break away from the rest of the book and I ultimately started to skim that chapter. There were some similar but shorter passages talking about art or other writing that felt a little off topic, aside from being an interest of the authors. Overall, I liked the book and I think it would appeal to anyone looking for a memoir that addresses late life growth and identity finding. ( )
1 vote AngelaMBarry | Dec 4, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’m sorry to say that Dreaming myself into old Age is one of the rare times I couldn’t finish a book. I enjoyed reading about the authors life - we all lead interesting lives, but the lengthy philosophical discussions and descriptions of her dreams didn't hold my attention.
If you enjoy in depth philosophy this is the book for you! ( )
  TinaC1 | Nov 21, 2023 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lily Iona MacKenzie's book Dreaming Myself into Old Age: One Woman's Search for Meaning was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Lily Iona MacKenzie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,803,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible