The Pemberley Chronicles: A Companion Volume…

The Pemberley Chronicles: A Companion Volume to Jane Austen's Pride and… (edition 2008)

by Rebecca Collins

A continuation of the story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice begins after the wedding of Elizabeth and Darcy and follows their relationship and that of Jane and Bingley, as they cope with the changes, joys, and tragedies in their lives
Member:AustenBlog
Title:The Pemberley Chronicles: A Companion Volume to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice: Book 1 (The Pemberley Chronicles)
Authors:Rebecca Collins
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2008), Edition: 1, Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Paraliterature, Pride and Prejudice

The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins

Doubt I will finish this, but if I do I really doubt I'll read the other books in the series. With how many years they cover in this books what's left to tell? The stories of all the new characters she created that you can barely keep track of? ( )
  jessifanfic | Jan 30, 2021 |
Pretty boring. Unrealistic views on infant and child survival at the time. Almost no hardship encountered by any of the characters at all. ( )
  leslie.emery | Mar 21, 2019 |
I was really hoping to enjoy this one. Seeing that it had four sequels and was marketed as being more true to the original novel, it certainly seemed promising. However, I found that I had a difficult time staying interested in this one.

I almost gave up at the beginning - most of the other reviews I've read have said they enjoyed the beginning, but I thought that was almost the worst part. It seemed like the first 50 pages were nothing but illustrations (and explanations) of how perfectly happy they were, how much "respect and admiration" they had for the Gardiners, and how much respect and admiration Darcy had for Mr. Bennet, and that they respected and admired each other and how happy all of this made them...and it just kept going on with nothing really happening. At first it was cute, but then it just became irritating.

The rest of the book was a bit more entertaining, but I found it hard to keep track of which children were whose (especially since they liked to name them after each other). Collins also skips huge chunks of time without much explanation (although I'm sure we can trust they were supremely happy and had respect and admiration for each other the whole time). I also found it strange that through the middle of the book, we hear more about the children of other characters - I found myself realizing that Elizabeth and Darcy's children would be in their teens and I knew absolutely nothing about them. They came into play near the end, but for most of the book I wouldn't have known they had children at all if I hadn't read the pages telling of their births.

If you're desperate for a P&P fix or want to try something with less unlikely drama and situations than other sequels have, you might want to give this a try, maybe you'll like it more than I did. Overall though, I found it pretty forgettable. Let's just say I have no inclination to read the other four books. ( )
  ashleyk44 | Jul 8, 2014 |
I don't know why I keep reading P&P spinoffs, because I end up not liking them. This book is no different. Devoid of a central plot line, it's more of a series of vignettes, and all of them serve to simply reinforce how perfect Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (and indeed their entire social circle) are. Bad things happen (Lydia and Wickham are up to their usual plotting, two children (one Darcy and one Gardiner) die in a tragic accident, but so little time is spent on these events that they don't evoke any emotions from the reader. Didn't care for this and won't be reading any more of the series. ( )
  lucy3107 | Sep 23, 2013 |
While the author does say in the preface that she makes no attempt to mimic Austen's inimitable style, the complete and total shift, especially in dialogue, makes this almost unrecognizable as Pride & Prejudice. And the actual plot isn't interesting enough to make up for it; Collins can't bear to hurt Elizabeth, so her marriage is blissful, all the original characters love her (she even redeems Charlotte Collins), and I fell asleep. The political plot in the middle is tacked on and ill-integrated, the next generation has virtually no distinguishing characteristics, and basically, this is not worth the paper it's printed on. ( )
1 vote cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Is a (non-series) sequel to

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,421,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible