Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Complete Chess Course by Fred Reinfeld

Complete Chess Course (edition 1959)

by Fred Reinfeld

Member:emf1123
Title:Complete Chess Course
Authors:Fred Reinfeld
Info:Doubleday (1959), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 704 pages
Tags:games, chess

Complete Chess Course by Fred Reinfeld

Fred Reinfeld was a master but more well known for his many books on learning chess for lower level players. The Complete Chess Course is a 1953 copyright, republished many times, so it is a bit dated in theory. Nevertheless, it is delivers what it promises - an essentially complete basic coverage of the game from moves to an overview of popular openings.

There are some downsides. With today's computerization and universal international use of algebraic notation, the older English descriptive notation (i.e. P-K4 in place of e4) remains and dates this work. It is not so much an issue with older players who own older books or who learned this older notation, but it is a red flag for those who may wish to continue on in the study of chess using the current algebraic notation. So as a single volume book on chess for beginners, it is excellent. As a stepping stone to newer study, it poses some minor problems. Reinfeld died in 1964 so a revised edition is unlikely in the competitive chess book market.

One could also criticize it for a couple of notational errors which have never been corrected in the reprints, or for the fact that it was written long before computer analysis was used to examine popular lines in openings. It is, in the final review, a masterful work that has stood the test of time, but is showing its age. ( )
  mldavis2 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Introduction -- Although seven of the eight sections of this book were originally published as separate volumes, they were written with their co-ordination as a complete chess course in mind. Conveniently prefaced now by a new summarized review of the basic elements of chess, the resulting comprehensive whole provides the instruction that any chessplayer needs to develop a respectable degree of skill.

Combining eight volumes into one, the mostacomprehensive book on chess ever published. Fromaopening gambit to endgame, this home-study chess courseais the classic in theafield.

Illustrated throughout

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

Reinfeld's Wonderful Book Generations of chess players have grown up on Fred Reinfeld's books. He has a way of reducing the most intricate, complicated combinations to their basic components. After Reinfeld explains a combination, it makes sense. Reinfeld not only taught us how to play the game well, but also implanted in us his enthusiastic passion for learning. His books are peppered throughout with words and phrases in italics to emphasize ideas. Moves are punctuated with single, double, and even triple exclamation marks and question marks to span the entire spectrum of emotions the moves conjure up. The Complete Chess Course is filled with advice on how to play better chess, regardless of how strong or weak a player you may be. It begins with the most fundamental ideas, reviewing the basic moves of the pieces and pawns, and continues with fantastic examples from the very best players. We are taken through a full course of chess strategy and tactics; he introduces us to the nine bad moves and how to refute them as well as how to avoid making them. We learn how to handle the white pieces and how to fight back with the black pieces. We get a much-needed lesson on how to win the game when we have gained a big advantage, and another, equally important lesson on how to put up the stiffest resistance when in an inferior position. We get treated to a full spectrum of the many ways to make the most of whatever position we get in one of the best chapters of any book I've seen: Book Six on How to Fight Back. Fred guides us through some master games, revealing the secrets of their struggles to overcome strong resistance. These secrets include how to meet the crisis; how to simplify; and the point of no return. Finally, we are treated to an introduction to the major openings, including what to strive for in gambits, classical structures, hypermodern structures, as well as offbeat lines. Hint: play to control the center and develop your pieces. Absorb the material included in this volume and you will play chess at a fairly high level. Or read through it all and enjoy Fred's masterful explanations. In either case, you will be entranced by his enthusiasm for the intricate relationships the pieces experience in the context of a game or even a standout plan or combination.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,497,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible