To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird (original 1960; edition 1988)

by Harper Lee

58,823117911 (4.39)2 / 2215
Member:OurClass
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird
Authors:Harper Lee
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1988), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Author) (1960)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (atimco)
    atimco: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,120)  Spanish (12)  French (10)  Catalan (6)  German (6)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,171)
I truly hated this book. It, in my opinion was one of the worst books of all times. I hate when books really aren't that good and they somehow make it to 'classics' level just because of how old and pompous they are. I would never recommend this book, and I wish I had never had to read it. It's just not that good. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I read this book in my youth and never ceased to be moved by it. Even now there were passages that I shed a tear at the fixation of the people in the story and the terrible injustice of blacks at that bitter time.

'to kill a Mockingbird' came out again in a new classy edition that portrays the heartstrings. A book that had not been forgotten even after several decades of writing, somewhere in the 1930s. It touches on the racism and hypocrisy of residents of a peaceful and peaceful town in the southern United States. Scout tells the story that her mother died when she was two years old. She and her brother Jim, four years older than her, are growing up in a house where Father Atticus Finch is a decent lawyer and honest man. They are brought up by a beloved black maid named California. The story of the two brothers' miraculous maturation unexpectedly tarnished when the father is called to defend a guy named Tom Robinson suspected of rape of a young woman who came from a shady, dirty family in the town. Scout defined as Tom Boy, a curious and intelligent girl who knows how to read and write from an early age. Scout suffers greatly from her aunt Alexandra, her father's sister who comes to live with them and forces her to act like a lady, which means wearing dresses and being gentle. Her brother Jim is the mildest of the two and surprisingly like his father. The two brothers join a child named Dil one summer, who came from Meridian to his aunt. Dyl has a lot of ideas for games and comes to cause a lot of excitement in two. The Riddles' house lights up the children's imagination. There are many rumors in the air about the fate of the family and Bo Radley, who made trouble for his father and imprisoned in a lonely house. An essential elderly neighbor of the children who listens and loves and prepares cakes for them is Moody Atkinson, who teaches them on her way what is important in life.

The name of the book lies in the fact that their father teaches them that it is forbidden to touch a mummy who is an innocent and gentle creature which all day is happy and singing. Some songwriters hinted at in the story like Tom suspected of rape, in which Radley, the imprisoned neighbor, intrigues the children.

The atmosphere in the town gets warm when the trial arrives. Father Atticus is considered a moderate and calm man who teaches his children about good manners and laws between man and his fellow. When evil words begin to fly near the children's ears from their neighbors about their father, 'the nigger lover,' the father is not excited and is not in a hurry to be angry and to slander his enemies.

The book touches on compassion and love and the other hand hypocrisy and pure evil. His hero is one man who does not hesitate to go against the tide, who does not care what they say. All the inhabitants of the town hear and feel well the words of justice poured out of the charged trial, and yet prejudice prevails over everything. The dominant and dominant voice of the father, who aspires to justice and morality along with the recognition of the goodness of each person, is pleasantly outlined in the excellent novel and sharpens its optimism.

This is a beautiful book woven into innocent childhood days of children at that time, along with the recognition that the world is not a safe and beautiful place, certainly not during the period in which the racism and inferiority of the black race were well known, and it is a good thing that these days passed from the world. The author best describes the closed world of the imaginary townspeople and the life that was then radio-free days, the horses as a means of transportation and the miserable lives of the inhabitants.

A book that provides a perfect and essential reading experience.

Highly recommend!.
  JantTommason | Jan 7, 2019 |
Simple put, I love this book, it is in my top favorites list. I read it first in my freshman year of high school, required for English, and I fell in love not just with the story but with the characters. Atticus the father who just wants best for his kids, Scout and Jem who were young and innocent. Recommend to everyone!!! ( )
  winterdragon | Jan 4, 2019 |
This has been on my tbr list for ages. It was never assigned when I was in school. I find myself reading some classics now that I didn’t read then. I know I’m a bit of a dork for this but I would have found it interesting to write a book report on this. What topics would it have covered?

But since I read it as an adult, my review is only based on my own enjoyment of the book.

This story is about the Finch family, it mainly focuses on Scout and Jem. The story begins as their lives start changing. They still have innocence and they don’t know much about how the world works yet. Their father Atticus is an attorney and he is called to represent a young, black man accused of raping a white woman. He tells his children that he does not believe he will win but that he must represent the man fairly as it’s the right thing to do. He tells them that they will be judged because he is representing a black man.

This is a wonderful story about growing up. The children become less innocent but more compassionate. They didn’t understand hateful words but they learn not to use them. They don’t understand the recluse Boo Radley next door but they learn that he shouldn’t be treated like a curiosity for them to investigate.

The characters are wonderful.
Atticus is a remarkable guy, picturing this time frame, the attitudes of his neighbors and how he taught his children about tolerance—beautiful.
Jem and Dill are both lovable boys and Scout is a feisty little girl.
I could keep listing names. Most of the characters were at least partially good.

The writing is vivid and beautiful.

If you wonder why I said four stars it’s only because it’s so sad at times. I do see the good emerging throughout the story though. Also, I loved the way the story ended. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |

Genre: Classic
Pages: 336
Format: Paperback

Synopsis:

Jem and Scout Finch are growing up. Scout has to go to school and while she's learned to argue with her lawyer father Atticus, some times Dad just puts his foot down. Scout makes friends with a boy her own age named Dill who comes to live with his aunt each summer. Dill wants to see Boo Radley, a mysterious recluse who lives next door to the Finch's.

Atticus takes on a case where a black man is accused of raping a white woman. Atticus is afraid of how it is going to affect both Jem and Scout as gossip mongers in town are now calling Atticus a nigger lover and that attitude trickles down to the children. Atticus make hash of the prosecutors case but the jury isn't swayed and convict the man to death. While in prison awaiting appeal he tries to escape (his right arm is withered and of no use) and is gunned down by the guards. The father of the woman making the accusations realizes how Atticus destroyed his story and vows revenge on him even though he won the case.

Jem and Scout are returning home one night from the Halloween party at school when they are attacked by an unknown assailant. Jem's arm is broken and he's knocked on the head. The assailant begins to try to choke Scout to death but due to her costume (a ham made from chicken wire and paper mache) is foiled. The assailant is in turn assailed by a mysterious rescuer and this person takes an unconscious Jem home. Turns out the assailant was the father who swore vengeance on Atticus. The rescuer? Boo Radley, a sickly albino.

The book ends with the Sheriff telling Atticus that the vengeance swearer fell on his own knife and that nobody, especially not Boo Radley, stabbed him.

My Thoughts:

My goodness. What a great book. A story told by an adult remembering everything through the eyes of a 7-9 year old girl.

While everyone always focuses on the case with the black man and that Boo Radley is real and saves Scout, to Scout, who is telling the story, they aren't any more important than the day at school when the teacher smacked her hand because she explained how some of the kids thought. This is a book about growing up and not realizing it until years later.
I don't know exactly what to say here. I am glad that books like this are still read in schools. Maybe being older has given me an appreciation for just what Lee did here? I found the idea of “Scout” telling the story to be perfect. The occasional interjections by her as her older self simply brought out what she missed as a child. At the same time, I never felt hit over the head by Lee writing ham-handedly or TRYING to “make a point”. She makes her points very casually and lets it be up to the reader just how much they actually want to “get”.

I know I saw the movie several times during middleschool and highschool but I can't remember if I ever actually read this before. I am glad I did read this now and I look forward to a re-read in 10'ish years.

This is a well written, engaging book that you can read for pure enjoyment if you so desire or you can read it as a classic tale of growing up in the South or you can read it as an activist and use it to bash people over the head with your SJW ideals. In this regards Lee is like a firearms manufacturer. She lets you, the user, decide just how to use this book.

As it should be.

★★★★★ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 26, 2018 |
Mockingbird is not necessarily as widely admired among scholars of US literature as it is among its fans. I once enraged an audience of very nice book-lovers at the Cheltenham literary festival by suggesting that Mockingbird was just the teensiest bit overrated. There are many reasons for this assessment, not least the feeling that Atticus Finch’s famous moral rectitude is, in point of fact, disturbingly flexible. He tells Scout: “Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” That’s all well and good, and a fine American sentiment that goes at least back to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But part of Mark Twain’s radical move in that novel is to make his hero an illiterate backwoods boy; Lee’s hero is a virtuous, middle-class white man, full of noblesse oblige to the black people he defends (who revere him for it), but who doesn’t bat an eyelid at the common knowledge that the illiterate, white-trash Mayella Ewell is regularly raped and beaten by her father.

added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,572,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible