To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee

To kill a mockingbird (original 1960; edition 2002)

by Harper Lee

64,350126011 (4.38)2 / 2314
The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.
Member:CPK
Title:To kill a mockingbird
Authors:Harper Lee
Info:New York : HarperPerennial, 2002.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

Recently added byCelia.Reston, AmySober, private library, kevin_LT, margaretkwon, SeanK1964, markta
Legacy LibrariesMaria Àngels Anglada d'Abadal
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (atimco)
    atimco: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,199)  Spanish (14)  French (9)  German (7)  Italian (7)  Catalan (6)  Dutch (4)  Hungarian (3)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,258)
Where: Mui Ne - Vung Tau ( )
  KostaFinn | Oct 23, 2020 |
The image of a mocking bird appears many times in the book, it is a bird that is unharmful for us at all, it is a bird that "do nothing but sings for human". This image is metaphorically by the author about people who are kind, pure, do nothing to harm anyone but are destroyed because of the evils in society. The "mockingbird" in this story is Tom Robinson - a black guy who was shot dead even though he did not commit a crime.
"Killing a Mockingbird" is a story that show the life of Atticus family in Maycomb County. Atticus is a good lawyer who is respected by everyone in the county. He is the role of a lawyer, a father, an honest neighbor. Atticus defends a black man from a crime that he is innocent of raping a white girl. Although Atticus lost his case, everyone saw his talent. If it were the other lawyers, it might take only a few minutes for the jury to make the decision, but Atticus had managed to extend the time to the night which he thought was the first step in the victory. But the racism is so ingrained in the blood of the citizen here that leads them to the wrong decisions, they would rather believe an evil white man like Mr. Ewell than a gentle black man. kind. People may not be born equal, but they need to be equally treated in the Court, and yet this jury does not allow black people to get equality even once.
Reading to kill the mockingbird in 2020 and I still feel the atmosphere of the story, especially with the coming up of the Black lives matter campaign. Racism is still a big problem of United States. 60 years have passed and the value of this book still stays. What a legend! ( )
  tanashawill | Oct 22, 2020 |
one of the few books in highschool english i actually really liked ( )
  ncharlt1 | Oct 11, 2020 |
A brilliant story, beautifully written with a complex moral core which is no less relevant today than it was in the sixties. I hope this book is still being read in schools. ( )
  MauriceTheKat | Oct 9, 2020 |
“Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.”
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Oh, Atticus Finch, be still my beating heart! After re-reading this I have decided not to read "Go Set a Watchman" in my mind To Kill a Mockingbird is perfect. It is the perfect novel. It's a book that has embedded itself in my mind, my heart and my soul, it is one that I shall never ever forget. Overall, the book takes readers to the roots of human behavior, and uncovers a message that all should keep in mind. This book is certainly a literary masterpiece and my lovely friends if you haven't read it, you really should. Please. You must. If you're on a budget *shameless self promotion* Check out your local Book Grocer, we have it and it will be the best ten bucks you've ever spent in your life. Promise. I want to call my kid Atticus, that's how great it is. Seriously. ( )
  MandaTheStrange | Oct 7, 2020 |
Mockingbird is not necessarily as widely admired among scholars of US literature as it is among its fans. I once enraged an audience of very nice book-lovers at the Cheltenham literary festival by suggesting that Mockingbird was just the teensiest bit overrated. There are many reasons for this assessment, not least the feeling that Atticus Finch’s famous moral rectitude is, in point of fact, disturbingly flexible. He tells Scout: “Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” That’s all well and good, and a fine American sentiment that goes at least back to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But part of Mark Twain’s radical move in that novel is to make his hero an illiterate backwoods boy; Lee’s hero is a virtuous, middle-class white man, full of noblesse oblige to the black people he defends (who revere him for it), but who doesn’t bat an eyelid at the common knowledge that the illiterate, white-trash Mayella Ewell is regularly raped and beaten by her father.

added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K.
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,565,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible