To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mocking Bird (original 1960; edition 1960)

by Harper Lee (Author)

70,506135711 (4.38)2 / 2410
The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.
Member:TheGilberts
Title:To Kill a Mocking Bird
Authors:Harper Lee (Author)
Info:J. B. Lippincott (1960), Edition: First

Work Information

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (atimco)
    atimco: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Stones of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (sturlington)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)
    Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell (meggyweg)

1960s (43)
Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,277)  Spanish (15)  French (10)  Italian (9)  Catalan (8)  German (8)  Dutch (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (4)  Hungarian (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,347)
Got through high school without reading this book. Don't know how it happened. Read it after a meeting a little girl named Scout. Her mother had named her for the book. Thought if someone would love a book enough to name their kid after a character in a book, it must be a pretty good book. It was. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
This is the one book I read in school that I will forever remember!

I usually disliket it when I was told to read a book. But this book, man, I just love it. If anyone asks me if I can recommend a book to read, this is without a doubt the one I would chose. I honestly can’t put it into words how much this books mean to me…I just love it!

I won’t write a long review since there are probably a lot of good ones already on goodread. I just wanted to confess how much I love this book, and now I have! :)
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
Hard-hitting book. Harper Lee's use of language is phenomenal throughout the book. To be honest, if you told me this story was based on a true story, I would have believed you (which, again, credit to Harper Lee). Pacing can at times be somewhat slow, but the story, langauge and general thought provoking more than make up for it. ( )
  vdh01 | Jul 18, 2022 |
Good book. Who knew?

I'm sure there are a million great reviews already here so I'll just say I'm glad I finally read it. Like [b:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer|24583|The Adventures of Tom Sawyer|Mark Twain|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309282714s/24583.jpg|3306392], the voice of childhood rings true and was wonderful to read.

If you're looking for a classic but don't want something heavy with difficult prose then this is one to start with. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
I'm really surprised I hadn't reread this book more recently. I still love it, Scout and Jem's innocence and goodness shine through it all, and the wry humour of always knowing slightly more than the children do is a delight to read. Yes, I'm aware of the many problems (the world doesn't really need more stories of women who lie about rape, all the black characters are sidelined and stereotyped) but for me the story is worth it. ( )
  atreic | Jul 12, 2022 |
35 livres cultes à lire au moins une fois dans sa vie
Quels sont les romans qu'il faut avoir lu absolument ? Un livre culte qui transcende, fait réfléchir, frissonner, rire ou pleurer… La littérature est indéniablement créatrice d’émotions. Si vous êtes adeptes des classiques, ces titres devraient vous plaire.
De temps en temps, il n'y a vraiment rien de mieux que de se poser devant un bon bouquin, et d'oublier un instant le monde réel. Mais si vous êtes une grosse lectrice ou un gros lecteur, et que vous avez épuisé le stock de votre bibliothèque personnelle, laissez-vous tenter par ces quelques classiques de la littérature.

"Bülbülü Öldürmek" harika bir roman ve başlamak için en iyisi.  Bu, bir kardeşin (Jem ve Scout) ve tek bekar ebeveynleri, yani babaları Atticus ve bakıcı Calpurnia ile yaşarken beklenmedik bir dönüş ve dönüş getiren hayatları etrafında dönen bir hikaye.

Hikayenin konusu, Boo Radley'in planı dışında başlangıçta net değildi, çünkü anlatı bazı olaylara derinden nüfuz etti ve aniden rotasını değiştirdi. Daha sonra bu kısa anlatımların, hikaye izci (8 yaşındaki) bakış açısıyla anlatıldığı için çocukların hissettikleri duyguları anlattığını fark ediyoruz.  Yetiştirilmeleri, iyi beslendikleri ve Atticus tarafından iyi değerlerle donatıldıkları için büyüleyicidir.  O, sözünün eri bir adamdır ve her senaryonun dürüst, doğru, eşitlikçi bir bakış açısına daima sahip olmuştur.  Mesleği avukatlıktır ve çocuklarına düşünce ve eylemlerinde özgürlük duygusu vermiştir.

Her ne kadar hikayenin sonunda gördüğümüz gibi işler ona göre gitmese de, hikaye güçlü bir ifadeyle sona erdi: "Ölüler ölüleri gömsün" yani bu dünyada insanların ne kadar doğru ya da yanlış olduğu anlamına gelir, her şey hesaba katılır ve faturanın vadesi gelir.  Bu roman mutlaka okunmalı, severek okudum.
added by firdevs | editDeutsche Schule Istanbul

Mockingbird is not necessarily as widely admired among scholars of US literature as it is among its fans. I once enraged an audience of very nice book-lovers at the Cheltenham literary festival by suggesting that Mockingbird was just the teensiest bit overrated. There are many reasons for this assessment, not least the feeling that Atticus Finch’s famous moral rectitude is, in point of fact, disturbingly flexible. He tells Scout: “Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” That’s all well and good, and a fine American sentiment that goes at least back to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But part of Mark Twain’s radical move in that novel is to make his hero an illiterate backwoods boy; Lee’s hero is a virtuous, middle-class white man, full of noblesse oblige to the black people he defends (who revere him for it), but who doesn’t bat an eyelid at the common knowledge that the illiterate, white-trash Mayella Ewell is regularly raped and beaten by her father.

added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K.
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

3 1966

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,630,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible