When We Were Enemies: A Novel by Emily…

When We Were Enemies: A Novel (edition 2023)

by Emily Bleeker (Author)

Two women, generations apart, in the spotlight. A powerful novel about family secrets, devastating choices, and hope for the future by the bestselling author of When I'm Gone. Camera-shy Elise Branson is different from the other women in her maternal line. Her mother is an award-winning actress. Her late grandmother, Vivian Snow, is a beloved Hollywood icon. But when Elise's upcoming wedding coincides with a documentary being made about Vivian, Elise can't escape the camera's gaze. And neither can her grandmother, even in death. It's 1943 when Vivian, a small-town Indiana girl, lends her home front support to the war effort. As a translator in the nearby Italian POW camp, she's invaluable. As a celebrated singer for the USO, she lifts men's spirits and falls in love with a soldier. But behind this all-American love story is a shocking secret--one that is vital to keep buried if Vivian is to achieve the fame and fortune she covets. For Elise and Vivian, what's hidden--and what's exposed--threatens to unravel their lives. The heart-wrenching choices they must make will change them both forever.… (more)
Member:Rosemary1973
Title:When We Were Enemies: A Novel
Authors:Emily Bleeker (Author)
Info:Brilliance Audio (2023)
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Work Information

When We Were Enemies: A Novel by Emily Bleeker

Daughter of famous actress mother and grandmother is getting wed at a pow camp in Indiana she finds family secrets ( )
  Rosemary1973 | Jun 11, 2024 |
The daughter and granddaughter of award-winning actresses Elise Branson avoids the spotlight. When her fiancé encourages her to be part of docuseries about her grandmother, Elise reluctantly agrees. Alternating with the past, Vivian is a small-town girl determined to be a star. She finds work at the nearby POW camp, where she find it hard to reconcile her Italian heritage with the Italian enemy held within.

I did not enjoy the modern day storyline. I did not like Elise and found her to be very tedious. Vivian seemed to lack personality and just fell flat. Overall, not a book I would re-read or recommend. ( )
  JanaRose1 | May 8, 2024 |
Current day, Elise is a PR powerhouse. She is also the daughter of a famous actress and the granddaughter of a beloved Hollywood icon. Newly engaged, she is talked into combining her wedding planning with a documentary about her famous grandmother’s early years, against her better judgement. It’s 1943 and Vivian needs a way to help support her injured father, mother who is in a psychiatric hospital and younger sister, still at home. She secures a job at a POW camp translating for the military and the Italian Prisoners. Vivian moonlights as both a dancer and a singer at the local USO.

The book follows both stories, easily switching between the two. The author gives us a look into the prisoners, military and the local USO club, not to mention film making. Vivian’s dedication to both family and job are admirable, always putting her own wants and needs secondary, totally realistic to the time. Storylines flow nicely and the cast of characters is easy to follow. Characters are transparent, there are no surprises into their nature. The stories come together nicely, but there were a few gaps I would have liked filled in. The story could have been a little longer to really bring it to a more complete close. The war takes a backseat to the family drama unfolding. I’ve enjoyed this author’s previous thrillers and look forward to reading her again.

Thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the ARC. This is my honest opinion. ( )
  LoriKBoyd | Dec 16, 2023 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,737,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible