How to Become the Dark Lord and Die Trying…

How to Become the Dark Lord and Die Trying (Dark Lord Davi Book 1) (edition 2024)

by Django Wexler (Author)

Series: Dark Lord Davi (1)

Fantasy. Fiction. Humor (Fiction.) HTML:Groundhog Day meets Deadpool in Django Wexler’s no-holds-barred, laugh-out-loud fantasy tale about a young woman who, tired of defending humanity from the Dark Lord, decides to become the Dark Lord herself.
"Takes the old saying 'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em,' to the next level. A sarcastic, action-packed, intrigue-filled (mis)adventure. One of the funniest books I've read in a long time."—Matt Dinniman, author of Dungeon Crawler Carl
Davi has done this all before. She’s tried to be the hero and take down the all-powerful Dark Lord. A hundred times she’s rallied humanity and made the final charge. But the time loop always gets her in the end. Sometimes she’s killed quickly. Sometimes it takes a while. But she’s been defeated every time.
This time? She’s done being the hero and done being stuck in this endless time loop. If the Dark Lord always wins, then maybe that’s who she needs to be. It’s Davi’s turn to play on the winning side.
Burningblade & Silvereye
Ashes of the Sun
Blood of the Chosen
Emperor of Ruin.
… (more)
Member:xanomon
Title:How to Become the Dark Lord and Die Trying (Dark Lord Davi Book 1)
Authors:Django Wexler (Author)
Info:Orbit (2024), 428 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

How to Become the Dark Lord and Die Trying by Django Wexler

I really wanted to like this more, but have learned that I really dislike footnotes in a fiction book. It was enough to sap anything I might have liked about the tale right out of my tiny heart. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 7, 2024 |
Davi has been trying to defeat the Dark Lord for thousands of lives; every time she fails, the situation resets. One time she decides to try something different, and become the Dark Lord instead. Lots of wisecracking and pop culture references even though Davi’s been transported to the fantasy realm for so long she says she doesn’t remember her life on Earth. I liked that she woke with skills she’d learned but not the body trained to use them. If you like flippancy and playing with D&D tropes, you might like this. ( )
1 vote rivkat | Jun 24, 2024 |
Portal fantasy meets Groundhog Day. After subjective millennia of trying to be the Chosen One and defeat the Dark Lord, our heroine gets tired of being tortured to death and decides to just become the Dark Lord instead. A certain amount of murder and debauchery follows but (even though repeatedly dying and having the world reset has resulted in a certain amount of derealisation) she retains a strong conscience and isn't actually *that* dark of a lord.

Her constant assessing of new characters as potential sex partners didn't ring true for me, but then what would I know, I'm asexual, and also see above re trauma.

I was more frustrated that this turned out to be the first in a series so ended on a bit of a cliffhanger without resolving the question of what is actually going on here. (Though there are sufficient hints that I have theories.) I really need to remember to check new books before I start them because 9 times out of 10 these days of *course* it's going to be the first in a series, almost *no-one* writes standalones anymore. ( )
  zeborah | Jun 22, 2024 |

Human girl wakes up in random land and dies hundreds of deaths trying to overthrow the dark lord before deciding to BECOME the dark lord.
There’s a ton of violence, dirty talk and pop culture references. FMC is pansexual, horny and trying to squash her conscience whilst competing to be an evil lord.
It was interesting but I found myself becoming tired of the tone by the end of it.
I will not be continuing the series.

https://youtube.com/@chanelchapters ( )
  spiritedstardust | Jun 20, 2024 |
Davi is the unfortunate savior a world that is soon to be overrun with wildlings.... with the added misfortune of when she dies, she start back at the beginning.... finally, she says effs it and decides to join the other side, but it s not easy, being a human in a world of wildlings.

While this book is not great literature, it manages to have very interesting characters that act humanely - Davi is sympathetic, but jaded- the world keeps resetting for her, so her life isn't that valuable, her goal is to get to the end, whatever that may be. She done this so many times that she has basically stopped caring about what other think, which makes her badass, but smart.

Where the book shines is how sensible the story is - for example an army has to eat, but how do you make sure everyone is fed in a hostile territory and you are running from a much more powerful army? These things are addressed in the story - obstacles that need to be overcome are done with thought, instead of magic.

While this book will never be great literature, it is fast paced, well written, and most of all, Fun. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jun 14, 2024 |

Belongs to Series

Burningblade & Silvereye
Ashes of the Sun
Blood of the Chosen
Emperor of Ruin.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,702,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible