Adventures Of Huckleberry Fin: Original…

Adventures Of Huckleberry Fin: Original Classics Illustrated (original 1884; edition 2021)

by Mark Twain (Author)

Series: Tom Sawyer (2)

38,99549442 (3.9)1 / 1293
Unlike the tall-tale, idyllic world of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is firmly grounded in early reality. From the abusive drunkard who serves as Huckleberry's father, to Huck's first tentative grappling with issues of personal liberty and the unknown, Huckleberry Finn endeavors to delve quite a bit deeper into the complexities-both joyful and tragic of life.… (more)
Member:LaurieNoland
Title:Adventures Of Huckleberry Fin: Original Classics Illustrated
Authors:Mark Twain (Author)
Info:(2021), 422 pages

Work Information

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (becca58203, kxlly)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Searching For Jim: Slavery In Sam Clemens's World (Mark Twain and His Circle) by Terrell Dempsey (pechmerle)
    pechmerle: Tremendously enlightening study of the N.E. Missouri social context from which Twain developed the character of Jim.
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (caflores)
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anónimo (caflores)
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Orphaned kid with plenty of street-smarts embarks on a dangerous journey interwoven with high-stakes matters from the adult world (Slavery/Russo-British Espionage).
    Flash for Freedom! by George MacDonald Fraser (ehines)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yasar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (caflores, CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disillusioned youth takes off. A liar himself, he despises frauds.
    Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word by Randall Kennedy (bertilak)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (ateolf)
Read (26)
1880s (13)

English (469)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Slovak (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (492)
i have a particularly uneasy history with this book, for various reasons. before i get into that, you must understand that i was the nerd in high school english class who was excited every time a new book was assigned. what will it be now? oooo, can't wait. not that i enjoyed everything on that compulsory reading list. every time i see a copy of billy budd i want to punch it, which is ironic because melville's bartleby the scrivener was also assigned, and hit me like a particularly sweet religious revelation. whenever i see an edition where both novellas are printed together i get confused. punch it or kiss it? it was rare that i couldn't finish the assigned reading, even when i hated it (i'm looking at you, walden two). but for some unremembered reason, some probably stupid nonsensical reason, i found myself the day of the essay test, in lunch before class, with huckleberry finn unfinished.

why? who knows? i really enjoyed the book, but i seem to recall hitting a brick wall within it, and just couldn't go on. or maybe there was truly something going on that kept me from completing it. i can't remember. but here, here is where i reveal my true shame. one of my classmates noticed me trying to frantically skim the rest of the book over my regular lunch of cookies and offered me her (shudder, whinge, shake) cliff's notes. i had always looked on such things with disdain, only deigning to touch them out of curiosity about the contents. but here, here was my salvation. doing well in english class was more important than my scruples, so i finished out the novel in condensed form.

and here's where it really begins to burn; i wrote a kickass paper on gender non-conformity and crossdressing in huckleberry finn. i got an A , and mr. o'donnell, my favoritest teacher in all the world, a man i truly looked up to, asked if he could make a copy to keep in his records to show future classes, an exemplary piece of work to edify future generations. true, i justified, most of the incidents i discussed happened in the parts of the novel i had actually read, but not all. pride and shame battled it out within me. ugh.

really, i'm serious, this has bothered me ever since. not all the time, but every now and then i will remember. i never did finish the book. until now.

now i am living in a city in poland, and reading whatever strikes my fancy from the english book section of the public library. somehow i seem to have fallen into a twain hole, which led me to believe i would have to put this particular ghost to bed eventually. it's funny how little of the novel i remember, and how much i enjoyed it, and how quickly i read it. i can't imagine why i wasn't able to finish it back then. what the hell was wrong with me?

i also can't imagine what i had written in that paper. i can get a vague idea, but the analysis escapes me now.

but what really stuck with me this time is how much tom sawyer rubs me the wrong way. i have never read tom sawyer, probably because i just didn't get to it, or maybe because i know the story like the back of my hand, or more likely because it seems so damn cheery and happy, compared to this darker novel. but now i have an added grievance against him. whether or not he intended it, twain portrayed sawyer as a comfortably-oblivious and privileged boy. in the last part of the novel he plays games with jim and huck's lives, the two characters who are living precariously on the edge of society, for his own entertainment. it never occurs to him that the information he has could mean a matter of life and death for his companions, or at least that someone's freedom is not something to play with. i found myself screaming for class war.

i didn't have a problem with the pat ending, either. twain's forte is a twist of the truth, despite the realism that his grasp of language gives to the rest of the book. i vaguely remember discussing this aspect of the novel in that long-ago english class. i also remember keeping my mouth shut.

so can i have my pride in my reading-nerdness back now? can i put to rest this sorry chapter?

though i guess i should read tom sawyer if i wanna talk shit about it.

J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
Read for book club, lots of listening with my son. Good, clean fun. ( )
  apende | Jul 12, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
9780194790635
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Twain, Markprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Amstelboeken (182-183)
KOD (13)
I Libri dell'Unità (Mongolfiere, 5-6)

Is contained in

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

You don't know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain't no matter.

This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175854, 1909175862

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,977,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible