1776 by David McCullough

1776 (edition 2005)

by David McCullough (Author)

Based on extensive research in both American and British archives, 1776 is the story of Americans in the ranks, men of every shape, size, and color, farmers, schoolteachers, shoemakers, no-accounts, and mere boys turned soldiers. And it is the story of the British commander, William Howe, and his highly disciplined redcoats who looked on their rebel foes with contempt and fought with a valor too little known. But it is the American commander-in-chief who stands foremost -- Washington, who had never before led an army in battle.… (more)
Member:tchaudhary
Title:1776
Authors:David McCullough (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2005), Edition: 1st, 400 pages

Work Information

1776 by David McCullough

Well done history by the master, David McCullough. I say master because of his reputation - this is the first book of his I've read. Will read more. My only complaint was that the book covers the Revolutionary War events of late 1775 through early 1777, then ends abruptly. I know enough about the war to predict that McCullough would end on the high notes of Trenton and Camden, and that's what he did. I wish McCullough would have turned this into a history of the entire war. Then again, I just read a masterful one of those, Almost a Miracle by John Firling. This book contains much lengthier quotes from primary sources and goes into more detail about certain events than Firling's book, so it was good to have read them both essentially back to back, to feed my current fascination with the American revolution. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
I read David McCullough's John Adams last year and really liked it. But I must confess, I enjoyed this one more. Since 1776 focuses on one seminal year in American history, it was a shorter book. The action was so thick that it read like a novel. I had thought I was familiar with our nation's beginnings. I knew George Washington was revered as a great general, but I didn't really understand why. This book demonstrates why Washington was a great general, in spite of his flaws.

The people of America were really no more united then than they are now. What they did have was a vision of what could be, and enough of them were willing to suffer hardship and deprivation that it became reality. McCullough doesn't gloss over the uncomfortable bits. He doesn't turn the British and Hessians into monsters and he doesn't make the Americans look like noble saints. What he does do is present a balanced, researched portrait of an extraordinary time and place that changed the course of world history. And that's no small feat. ( )
  Library_Lin | Oct 4, 2021 |
As the title indicates, this thoroughly researched book by David McCullough covers the events of 1776, including the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the Revolutionary War. McCullough goes into painstaking detail to describe the perspectives and experiences of those who participated in those events, with a particular focus on George Washington and those who served with him.

In telling those stories, McCullough does not shy away from presenting critiques or the hard parts of our history. Indeed, McCullough specifically details some of the criticisms that were levied at Washington by his peers, as well as Washington’s own self-doubts and occasional indecisiveness. Yet, in the end, McCullough concludes that Washington was a truly gifted leader and that in the American victory in the Revolutionary War—beginning with Washington’s legendary crossing of the Delaware and victory in Trenton—one can see a miracle. As McCullough puts it, it was in those victories that occurred in the bleakest of times that Washington and America found themselves.

Note: this book is written from a scholarly and historian’s perspective. It is not a typical novel with page-turning type of suspense (beyond the suspense coming from history itself). If you understand that going in, you will appreciate this book far more than if you’re reading it solely to be entertained. ( )
  bentleymitchell | Aug 27, 2021 |
This is a good, well-researched book, but a little too heavy on the battle details to keep me fully engaged. ( )
  AngelClaw | Aug 2, 2021 |
Okay, so I can’t remember the exact date I finished this, but this was a fantastic book.
Before, I hadn’t really been interested in reading and learning more about US history since I live in the US and had basically gotten my country’s “great” history pounded into my brain. Because of this, a part of me would rather have watched documentaries about US history than read books about it.
McCullough got me interested in reading about US history (rather than watching documentaries.
He does a fantastic job at bringing to life the many players in the Revolutionary War, and he also does an amazing job at making each side - the colonies and England - more human than what we’ve made them out to be in history classes. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |

In his exhaustively researched and highly accessible new book, "1776," best-selling historian David McCullough (two-time Pulitzer winner for "John Adams" and "Truman") follows the Continental Army through a single, fateful year, one filled with surprise victories, stunning reversals, perilous midnight retreats and pure, grind-it-out perseverance. It's a story filled with drama, and McCullough shows himself once again to be among our nation's great storytellers.

In his new book, ''1776,'' David McCullough brings to bear on this momentous year the narrative gifts he's demonstrated in such absorbing histories as ''The Great Bridge'' and ''The Path Between the Seas.'' As a history of the American Revolution, it is an oddly truncated volume: pivotal developments leading to the revolution like the Stamp Act, which happen to fall outside the perimeters of Mr. McCullough's rigid time frame, are not examined, and subsequent installments of the war (which would continue on after the Trenton-Princeton campaign for another half-dozen harrowing years) are ignored as well.

Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages. —General George Washington
For Rosalee Barnes McCullough
On the afternoon of Thursday, October 26, 1775, His Royal Majesty George III, King of England, rode in royal splendor from St. James's Palace to the Palace of Westminster, there to address the opening of Parliament on the increasingly distressing issue of war in America.
http://lccn.loc.gov/2005042505 . Please distinguish among, and do not combine:

Peter H. Hunt's film, 1776 (1972);
David McCullough's complete Work, 1776 (sometimes subtitled, "American and Britain at War," 2005);
the abridged audiobook, on 5 discs (2005; there's also one or more unabridged audio); and
McCullough's abridgment, 1776: The Illustrated Edition (2007).

Thank you.

David MCullough brings this monumental period in American history to life - I can't put this book down! Having grown up in Boston and now living in New York, Mr. McCullough's use of quotes and writings brings me even closer to the places I've called home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,999,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible