The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

The Almost Moon (edition 2007)

by Alice Sebold

Member:evareads
Title:The Almost Moon
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:Picador (2007), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:women, crime

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

English (165)  Danish (1)  All languages (166)
I loved the Lovely Bones - so much I have read it several times. The Almost Moon however hasn't managed the same level of enthrallment for me. Helen, the central character, seems lonely and trapped in her world which is tragic in itself. However it doesn't fill me with any real level of sympathy for her. I understand the scenario, and realise how difficult it must be for someone to go through this level of mental illness, but at the same time I feel she may have brought some of this misery onto herself.

This was a 'meh' book for me - not brilliant but not wholly rubbish either. Shades of other stories I have read before, and not a story I will turn to again. ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |

Written very nicely but super-weak plot. The first sentence grabs you but after that it completely falls apart and ends with you feeling incomplete. ( )
  Bookapotamus | Jun 27, 2018 |
I enjoyed the book as I also enjoyed her other two books. ( )
  BATGRLGOTHAMCITY | Apr 27, 2018 |
After the first page I had to continue to see how Helen gets 'out of this one'. She has just killed her 88 year old mother. I read the book to find out why she would do such a thing! I'm not sure I'm happy with the explanation, but like a lot of people Helen has disappointed me- she doesn't even have an iron clad reason. Finding out about her life I defiantly empathize and maybe that's all she wanted. Interestingly strange book. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 27, 2017 |
Always, Glen
When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily.
And there it was, the hole that had given birth to me.…This was not the first time I’d been face-to-face with my mother’s genitalia.

A woman steps over the line into the unthinkable in this brilliant, powerful, and unforgettable new novel by the author of The Lovely Bones and Lucky.

For years Helen Knightly has given her life to others: to her haunted mother, to her enigmatic father, to her husband and now grown children. When she finally crosses a terrible boundary, her life comes rushing in at her in a way she never could have imagined. Unfolding over the next twenty-four hours, this searing, fast-paced novel explores the complex ties between mothers and daughters, wives and lovers, the meaning of devotion, and the line between love and hate. It is a challenging, moving, gripping story, written with the fluidity and strength of voice that only Alice Sebold can bring to the page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

Having set aside her own life in her support of her parents, husband, and children, Helen Knightly confronts the realities of the choices that were imposed upon her during a harrowing twenty-four-hour period of death and revelation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,531,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible