730 Easy Science Experiments with Everyday…

730 Easy Science Experiments with Everyday Materials (edition 1997)

by Frances Zweifel E. Richard Churchill

Presents a variety of activities, projects, and experiments that help to illustrate and explain all sorts of scientific principles.
Member:kabobrow
Title:730 Easy Science Experiments with Everyday Materials
Authors:Frances Zweifel E. Richard Churchill
Info:Tess Press (1997), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Kim, Science, Puzzle, Teaching

730 Easy Science Experiments with Everyday Materials by E. Richard Churchill

with everyday materials
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
This book is a thick compendium of science for elementary school students. It's not all experiments, precisely; there are occasional art projects and did-you-know topics interspersed, but probably close to 700 are science based activities or demonstrations. Experiments in the sense of having a control etc. are not distinguished from these; the authors are not pedants; but the book is not less appealing for taking a little leeway with vocabulary.

However, because of this it's not precisely science curriculum, but a resource for enrichment. And as such it's quite good. I read at least 100 of the activities. I'm impressed with how easy they are to set up and complete, and how everyday the required materials really are. Many such books derail lesson planning with sudden demands for plasticine, iodine, or other items that are common but not used everyday. The only difficulty I see with this one is that so many of the activities in the electricity section require the use of pennies, which were withdrawn from circulation in Canada several years ago. Canadians will need to exert themselves.

The book comprises five volumes previously published separately but reorganized for this volume. It's now arranged topically in sections of about 10 to 20 pages each with an introduction followed by a dozen or more activities. That's a good size, with enough material to give an overview but not so much as to be tedious or lose focus. Very occasionally an activity that belongs in two sections will be repeated in each, which is convenient.

I'm looking forward to doing many of these activities with my grandchildren during their weekends and school holidays. Meanwhile, every time I visit Michigan I'm going to be saving pennies. ( )
  muumi | Sep 21, 2016 |

E. Richard Churchillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Loesching, Louis V.Afterwordmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mandell, Murielmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zweifel, FrancesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,308,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible