The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence… (1998)

by Lee Strobel

Series: The Case for ... (1)

Is there credible evidence that Jesus of Nazareth really is the Son of God? Retracing his own spiritual journey from atheism to faith, Lee Strobel, former legal editor of the Chicago Tribune, cross-examines a dozen experts with doctorates from schools like Cambridge, Princeton, and Brandies who are recognized authorities in their fields. Strobel challenges them with questions like How reliable is the New Testament? Does evidence exist for Jesus outside the Bible? Is there any reason to believe the resurrection was an actual event? Strobel's tough, point-blank questions make this remarkable book read like a captivating, fast-paced novel. But it's not fiction. It's a riveting quest for the truth about history's most compelling figure. What will your verdict be in The Case for Christ?… (more)

English (70)  Slovak (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (72)
I find religion fascinating and being from England I had assumed that my school lessons about Christianity had given me a solid foundation of knowledge on the subject. As a result I have read about many of the other major religions in the world but had neglected to read further on Christianity. The synopsis for this book had me intrigued as it promised to present an evidence based exploration on the existence of Jesus.

Strobel starts off by explaining he was a crime reporter and had attended many court cases over the years as part of his job. He stated that he wanted to investigate Jesus by looking and the evidence on both sides just as they do in court. This is the first failure on his part as he only speaks to experts who support the existence of Jesus. At no point does he interview sceptics and this hurts the book in a big way in my opinion. It's not all bad though. I found the evidence presented well thought out and has inspired me to read deeper on the subject. The writing is simple enough for a layman like me to understand what is going on without it feeling too dumbed down. After finishing the book I read a rebuttal online and it revealed to me that there is a lot more to scholarly Christan knowledge than I had ever imagined. Someone with little knowledge of the minutiae (like me) could be easily swayed by many of the arguements in the book without realising there is a strong counterpoint to be made by others. I really wish this had been a more balanced book as it would have improved it greatly in my opinion. ( )
  Brian. | Apr 10, 2021 |
I doubt there's much I can add to what's already been said about Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ. Read it! This is a book that has the potential to change your life.

Christianity is perceived by many as something intelligent people don't take seriously (this despite the fact that many of the greatest minds in history have been Christians; but I digress). As the former legal editor at the Chicago Tribune and with a law degree from Yale, Strobel is no mental slouch, and he sets out to interview 14 experts on various aspects of Jesus's life and resurrection, as well as the Bible itself and other historical sources. His journalistic training shows not only in his bulldoggish tenacity to get to the heart of the matter, but also in his ability to tell a great story.

The Case for Christ is intended for a popular audience, yet has numerous end notes, as well as a helpful reading list for further study at the end of each chapter. (As I've noted elsewhere, "popular" and "academic" titles and topics do not have to be mutually exclusive). It is a book that can be used as a quick reference, and one that challenges you to pick it up again.

There is a reason why millions of copies of The Case for Christ have been sold. There is a reason why it has been translated into multiple languages. There is a reason why it has been made into a motion picture. That reason is the truth and clarity of its message. Read it: you will not be disappointed. ( )
  RAD66 | Nov 12, 2020 |
A fantastic read. Reminds me of a "Dateline Investigation" as it goes through almost every claim against the Bible. I was surprised at how objective Lee Strobel was conducting the interviews. He asked some tough questions and really put the experts to the test.

In the end, the evidence in clear Christ is who He said he was. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
This book was not for ME. Maybe it’s written more for a person like Strobel himself, at the time, questioning Christianity. It was written at an elementary level, more journalistic than providing facts. I did not learn anything new. I found it difficult to read and disappointing although I generally liked his premise. ( )
  joyfulmimi | Apr 18, 2020 |
Based upon the Gold-Medallion award-winning best-seller, The Case for Christ documents Lee Strobel's journey from atheism to faith through his two-year investigation of the Bible and the life of Jesus Christ. Strobel, the former legal editor of the Chicago Tribune, draws upon his investigative skills to examine the historical accuracy of the Gospels, the personal claims of Jesus and His resurrection from the dead. Is there evidence to confirm that Jesus of Nazareth was, indeed, the son of God and the savior of the world? This remarkable film features interviews with 10 leading Biblical scholars from North American and England, cutting-edge apologetics, and a compelling original music score.
  PleromaBC | Mar 25, 2020 |

Rodríguez, Dámarissecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schalk, AnnetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vogel, JaneContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yamauchi, EdwinContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the parlance of prosecutors, the attempted murder case against James Dixon was "a dead-bang winner."

Contents:
Introduction : Reopening the investigation of a lifetime -- Pt. 1: Examining the record -- The eyewitness evidence: Can the biographies of Jesus be trusted? / with Dr. Craig Blomberg -- Testing the eyewitness evidence: Do the biographies of Jesus stand up to scrutiny? / with Dr. Craig Blomberg -- The documentary evidence: Were Jesus' biographies reliably preserved for us? / with Dr. Bruce Metzger -- The corroborating evidence: Is there credible evidence for Jesus outside his biographies? / with Dr. Edwin Yamauchi -- The scientific evidence: Does archaeology confirm or contradict Jesus' biographies? / with Dr. John McRay -- The rebuttal evidence: Is the Jesus of history the same as the Jesus of faith? / with Dr. Gregory Boyd -- Pt. 2: Analyzing Jesus -- The identity evidence: Was Jesus really convinced that he was the Son of God? / with Dr. Ben Witherington III -- The psychological evidence: Was Jesus crazy when he claimed to be the Son of God? / with Dr. Gary Collins -- The profile evidence: Did Jesus fulfill the attributes of God? / with Dr. D.A. Carson -- The fingerprint evidence ": Did Jesus--and Jesus alone--match the identity of the Messiah? / with Louis Lapides -- Pt. 3: Researching the resurrection -- The medical evidence: Was Jesus' death a sham and his resurrection a hoax? / with Dr. Alexander Metherell -- The evidence of the missing body: Was Jesus' body really absent from his tomb? / with Dr. William Lane Craig -- The evidence of appearances : Was Jesus seen alive after his death on the cross? / with Dr. Gary Habermas -- The circumstantial evidence ": Are there any supporting facts that point to the resurrection? / with Dr. J.P. Moreland -- Conclusion : The verdict of history: What does the evidence establish--and what does it mean today?

Zondervan

4 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310209307, 0310226058, 0310226465, 0310226279

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,204,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible