The Burial Plot: The bewitching, seductive…

The Burial Plot: The bewitching, seductive new gothic thriller from the author of The Doll Factory (edition 2024)

by Elizabeth Macneal (Author)

London, 1839. Where the cemeteries are full and there is money to be made in death, Bonnie and Crawford lead a life of trickery, surviving off ill-gotten coin and nefarious schemes. But one hot evening, their luck runs out. A man lies in a pool of blood at Bonnie's feet and now she needs to disappear. Crawford secures her a position as lady's maid in a grand house on the Thames, still deep in mourning for its late mistress. As Bonnie comes to understand this family - the eccentric Mr Moncrieff, obsessively drawing mausoleums grand enough for his dead wife, and their peculiar daughter Cissie, scribbling imaginary love letters to herself from the mysterious Lord Duggan - she begins to question what really happened to Mrs Moncrieff and whether her own presence here was planned from the beginning. Because Crawford is watching, and perhaps he is plotting his greatest trick yet.… (more)
Member:edwardsgt
Title:The Burial Plot: The bewitching, seductive new gothic thriller from the author of The Doll Factory
Authors:Elizabeth Macneal (Author)
Info:Picador (2024)
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****
Tags:Bought "Book Club choice" thriller 1839 London historical fiction

Work Information

The Burial Plot by Elizabeth Macneal

Bonnie escapes the clutches of a vicar and goes to London where she ends up working with two con men and thieves, Crawford and Rex. Following an unfortunate scrape with a male victim she's persuaded to move to Twickenham and work in Aubrey Moncrief's household. The story is essentially about an exploited woman who overcomes her challenges and succeeds. ( )
  edwardsgt | Jun 11, 2024 |
1830's London, Bonnie, Crawford and Rex will do anything to survive. Bonnie finds she needs to escape after something happens and ends up as a lady' maid for Cissie, who lives with her father. However everything is not as it seems for Bonnie.

This is the first book I've read by this author and I did quite enjoy it. The story has a lot of things that I like. The story did have a gothic feel to it with something sinister going on. The story did have its twists. One I did guess quite easily, one shocked me and another I didn't see coming.

The story did have plenty to hold my interest and I do enjoy books set in the Victorian era. The descriptions were lovely and I especially enjoyed the parts about the cemetery.

The ending did seem a little too neat and there was one particular event that wasn't explained very well and why. This didn't however spoil the book for me but it just didn't sit right in my opinion.

I will certainly read more by the author and I do have a copy of The Doll Factory on my kindle. Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for the book to review. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 5, 2024 |
It's London in the late 1830s and Bonnie and Crawford are living by their wits to survive, gaining money in cunning ways. After Bonnie finds herself needing to escape London and a terrible crime, she applies for a position as a lady's maid at Endellion House, the home of Mr Moncrieff and his daughter, Cissie. However, all is not as it seems and soon Bonnie realises that her place in the house is not as unplanned as she thought.

This is Elizabeth Macneal's third book and quite possibly my favourite of them all. It has the kind of underlying sinister feel of The Doll Factory but with the addition of the inner workings and subterfuge at Endellion which made it really striking and particularly gripping. As things got underway and Bonnie found her feet in the house I struggled to put this dark and inventive book down.

The Burial Plot is beautifully written and plotted impeccably. There were some plot points that I half-guessed at and some that I didn't see coming at all, and I found the whole story utterly mesmerising from beginning to end. The emotions of every character, whether prominent or not, jump off the page which makes for quite an edgy read. Bonnie is initially in thrall to the charismatic Crawford, but as time goes on her sense of unease is palpable and eventually I found myself rooting for our feisty heroine and what her future life could be. The ending was quite nerve-wracking!

This book is rich with detail and atmospherically portrays this era in London's history and the juxtaposition between the seedy underbelly and the rich folk with their fancy houses. The Victorians' fascination with death is illustrated by the mausoleums Mr Moncrieff designs and which form a large part of the story. The Burial Plot is a tremendous book, a gothic thriller created to perfection. Easily one of my favourite books of the year. ( )
  nicx27 | Jun 5, 2024 |

London, 1839. With the cemeteries full and money to be made in death, tricksters Crawford and Bonnie survive on wicked schemes and ill-gotten coin. But one blistering evening, their fortunes flip. A man lies in a pool of blood at Bonnie's feet and now she needs to disappear.

Crawford secures her a position as lady's maid in a grand house on the Thames. As Bonnie comes to understand the family - the eccentric Mr Moncrieff, obsessively drawing mausoleums for his dead wife, and their peculiar daughter Cissie, scribbling imaginary love letters to herself - she begins to question what secrets are lying behind the house's paper-thin walls and whether her own presence here was planned from the beginning.

Because Crawford is watching, and perhaps he is plotting his greatest trick yet . . .

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,114,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible