My Beloved Monster: Masha, the Half-wild…

My Beloved Monster: Masha, the Half-wild Rescue Cat Who Rescued Me (edition 2024)

by Caleb Carr (Author)

Author "Caleb Carr has had special relationships with cats since he was a young boy in a turbulent household, famously peopled by the founding members of the Beat Generation, where his steadiest companions were the adopted cats that lived with him both in the city and the country. As an adult, he has had many close feline companions, with relationships that have outlasted most of his human ones. But only after building a three-story home in rural upstate New York did he enter into the most extraordinary of all of his cat pairings: Masha, a Siberian Forest cat who had been abandoned as a kitten, and was languishing in a shelter when Caleb met her. She had hissed and fought off all previous carers and potential adopters, but somehow, she chose Caleb as her savior. For the seventeen years that followed, Caleb and Masha were inseparable"--… (more)
Member:monicaberger
Title:My Beloved Monster: Masha, the Half-wild Rescue Cat Who Rescued Me
Authors:Caleb Carr (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2024), 352 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

My Beloved Monster: Masha, the Half-wild Rescue Cat Who Rescued Me by Caleb Carr

_to_sort (1) cats (1) crafts (1) home (1) memoir (1) netgalley (1) read in 2024 (1) to-read (1)

My beloved monster is an exquisite and gripping read that demands a certain kind of strength from its readers. The bond between Caleb Carr and his "monster," Masha, is complex and rich. Carr meets Masha at an overcrowded rescue operation, when she draws him to her. Carr doesn't know that this cat has a history of abuse and is quick to attack, that she''s a cat the rescue operation fears may never be homed. But as Masha studies Carr and He studies Masha, the two come to realize that they have deep similarities that will ultimately allow them to build a remarkable bond.

As someone who has lived with cats her entire life, but has never had a bond of such intensity with one, I was fascinated by the story of Carr and Masha. His ability to read her moods, thinking, and memories (and, yes, I do think all three of these are present) has me thinking about ways to be a more reliable "teammate" for my own cats.

What makes My Beloved Monster a read requiring strength are the calamities and violences that emerge in life and that we cannot control. The book contains stories of former cats in Carr's life, and these stories contain a great deal of joy, but too often have ended unhappily. I skipped Chapter 9 and parts of Chapters 20 and 21 because The vulnerabilies they revealed were, quite honestly, more than I could bear.

My intention isn't to deter others from reading this title, it's simply to tell them to read with caution and to be aware of the ways the will and won't be able to bear the sorrows that life dishes out.

I received a free electronic review copy of this title from the publisher via NetGalley; the opinions are my own. ( )
  Sarah-Hope | Dec 20, 2023 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,744,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible