Cocoa the Tour Dog: A Children's Picture…

Cocoa the Tour Dog: A Children's Picture Book (edition 2024)

by Stick Figure (Author), Adam Mansbach (Author), Juan Manuel Orozco (Illustrator)

942,005,830 (4.5)None
Member:librarian515
Title:Cocoa the Tour Dog: A Children's Picture Book
Authors:Stick Figure (Author)
Other authors:Adam Mansbach (Author), Juan Manuel Orozco (Illustrator)
Info:Akashic Books, Ltd. (2024), 36 pages

Work Information

Cocoa the Tour Dog by Stick Figure

No tags

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The cover of this Cocoa the Tour Dog by Stick Figure and Adam Mansbach puts everything right there in vibrant color -- lights, stage, audience, guitar player, and dog with a very appealing neck scarf. It can be readily enjoyed by adults and children, especially if they have heard Scott Woodruff’s songs or seen him in concert. The book can be enjoyed all on its own, though, with a sweet message and sweet-looking dog.

Yes, Stick Figure and Cocoa are for real; the band has been active for about 16 (?) years. Apparently the story behind SF rescuing her and taking her across the globe is also true. I think children will get the biggest wow out of thinking that the dog goes on stage every night with the band, perhaps putting themselves in place of the Australian Shepherd.

But the book would only be good if the text and illustrations were good -- and they definitely are. The story is told in verse, which might be able to be sung with a reggae beat, and the illustrations by Juan Manuel Orozaco jump off the page.

Who doesn’t love dogs with neck scarfs?

I received this book from Akashic Books. This is an honest review. ( )
  khenkins | Jun 15, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ok, my son and I loved the book. The illustrations are beautiful, and the story is nice, too. But for my son, there was a few words that he could not understand. Other than that, it is a nice book for children. ( )
  KaterynaArmenta | Jun 14, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fun story about a rescue dog who becomes the "star" of the show when the band tours. When he gets sad and lonely, his owner rescues another dog and they both become "stars" of the show. I thought the pictures were great. Lots of things to look at in the pictures. The rhyming words made the story a fun read-along. ( )
  librarian515 | Jun 11, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall this was a cute book to read to a small child. The rhyming was well done and not forced. There is a big jump from when Scott starts singing to cocoa and then suddenly cocoa is playing the the waves. I wasn't sure if this was a dream or if the publisher missed a page. I feel like there is missing information but by the end of the book it didn't matter.
  halstead898 | Jun 8, 2024 |

Stick Figureprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mansbach, Adammain authorall editionsconfirmed
Orozco, Juan ManuelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Stickfigure's book Cocoa the Tour Dog was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,113,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible