Anne Frank: The Biography by Melissa Müller

Anne Frank: The Biography (edition 1999)

by Melissa Müller (Author)

4832032,239 (4.26)5
Member:BarclayBookshelf
Title:Anne Frank: The Biography
Authors:Melissa Müller (Author)
Info:Picador (1999), Edition: 1st Owl Books ed, 352 pages

Anne Frank: The Biography by Melissa Müller

English (19)  Spanish (1)  All languages (20)
Most of have read about Anne Frank, or at least heard of this young girl. Bright , vivacious , and insightful Anne, along with her mother and sister, is murdered by the cruel Nazi regime of WW2.
THIS particular book by Marcia Muller is most likely the most informative and well-researched bio of the the girl that was, and the young woman she was becoming. ( )
  linda.marsheells | Sep 2, 2018 |
Very readable.. compulsively so.. Here is a personal tragedy;
A well-written account, with a strong narrative and a seamless meshing of biographical and historical detail. ( )
  RobinRowlesAuthor | Oct 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, I tried. I read the first hundred pages and was bored to tears. Every page was a struggle to finish without nodding off. You'd think it'd be difficult to make Nazi Germany boring, but apparently not. There were so many names and places and dates that I felt like I was reading a textbook, not a biography. Ultimately I realized that as important and tragic as Anne Frank's story is, I just couldn't get through this particular telling of it. I'll stick with the original diary and leave this tome for those who want every last detail. ( )
  melydia | Sep 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I usually avoid reading biographies because of the impassive tone of the writing and the endless facts that become tiresome. This biography of a young girl who lived and died in tragic times is an exception. I enjoyed learning about her extended family and the ties that bound them together even when they were forced apart. The Dutch people were amazing in the way they protected their Jewish neighbors to the best of their abilities. There are many unsung heroes who risked their lives to fight the spreading evil of Hitler and his henchmen.

While The Diary of Anne Frank tells about two years in the life of this ordinary girl who loved life and had the remarkable gift of expressing what it felt like to be in hiding, Muller adds much detail to Anne's story through her thorough research. if you've ever wondered what kind of life Anne had before and after her written account, then this is a book that will answer your questions.

There are many family stories, reproductions of photographs, and an extensive Epilogue that tells what happened to most of the key people in the book. Miep Gies was the trusted employee of Otto Frank who made it possible for two families and one dentist to be fed and clothed for two years as they lived in the cramped annex behind the office and warehouse of Mr. Frank's business. I heartily agree with what she wrote in her letter of 1998 that is included in this updated and expanded biography:

"It is often said that Anne symbolizes the six million victims of the Holocaust. I consider this statement wrong. Anne's life and death were her own individual fate, an individual fate that happened six million times over. Anne cannot, and should not, stand for the many individuals whom the Nazis robbed of their lives. Each victim had his or her own ideals and outlook on life; each victim occupied a unique, personal place in the world and in the hearts of his or her relatives and friends." ( )
4 vote Donna828 | Jul 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The most interesting part of this biography, to me, was what happened to Anne and her family after being captured by the Nazis. I'd never known in full detail exactly how they'd all been separated, transported from which camps when, and how each succumbed or managed to make it out. This author had access to specific manifests and first-hand accounts from survivors who had known the Franks in the concentration camps.

It was also interesting, though unfortunately inconclusive, to try to track down exactly who exposed the annex and its occupants.

Also, the insights into Otto's parenting style and his marriage/how he tried to manipulate his image by editing and excluding passages was appreciated. ( )
  kxlly | Jul 14, 2013 |
One of the things that made the diary so poignant and one of the things that lend this biography such power is the awful juxtaposition of the ordinary and the horrific, the mundane and the unimaginable. Seeing Anne and her friend Hanneli jumping rope and playing hide-and-seek in an Amsterdam park one moment; then seeing them meet again several years later, in a Nazi camp, trying to speak to each other through a straw-packed fence. Picturing Anne's collection of favorite photos (Greta Garbo, Ray Milland and the future Queen Elizabeth) on the attic wall by her bed; then picturing the arrival of the German security officer and the Dutch henchmen who have come to arrest the Franks and take them away.

This book belongs to the survivors
Hush. Be quiet. Whisper. Walk softly . . . take off your shoes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805059962, Hardcover)

One of this book's great strengths is writer Melissa Müller's ability to situate Anne Frank's famous diary within a larger historical and biographical context--more than half of it covers the years before the Franks went into hiding. Equally important is her discovery of the existence of five pages Otto Frank removed from his daughter's original diary and entrusted shortly before his death to Cor Sujik, international director of New York's Anne Frank Center. Sujik showed these pages to Müller, who accurately notes in the biography that they "enhance our understanding of the diary's author."

Until now, readers have known the eight people sequestered in the secret annex through Anne's eyes only. Müller reveals everyone's correct names (they were changed for the diary's publication) and tactfully corrects a teenager's skewed perceptions when necessary, always reminding us of the claustrophobic closeness and material deprivation that sometimes fueled Anne's uncharitable comments about, for example, the middle-aged dentist with whom she was forced to share a room. Müller also plausibly identifies the Dutch informant who betrayed the secret annex's inhabitants to the Gestapo. Horror suffuses Müller's grim recap of the Franks' ordeal at Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen, though there is some comfort in survivors' reports that Anne, her mother, and her older sister formed "an inseparable trio," all former quarrels forgotten in their fierce struggle to save each other. They failed, and Müller does not gloss over that tragedy. But she reminds us that, "In the end, the Nazi terror could not silence Anne's voice, which still rings out for all of us."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:16 -0400)

For people all over the world, Anne Frank, the vivacious, intelligent Jewish girl with a crooked smile and huge dark eyes, has become the "human face of the Holocaust." Her diary of twenty-five months in hiding, a precious record of her struggle to keep hope alive through the darkest days of this century, has touched the hearts of millions.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Melissa Müller's book Anne Frank: The Biography was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,632,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible