Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins

Villa Incognito (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Tom Robbins

Member:sinfully.pinstripe
Title:Villa Incognito
Authors:Tom Robbins
Info:No Exit Press (2004), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:fiction

Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins (2003)

Book number nine in the fifty book challenge, and it almost feels like cheating since Robbins is so easy to read. Not half as dense as the books I usually pick up. All the same, he tells an interesting story, and the smatterings of Robbinsian philosophy permeate per usual. There are times you laugh, there are times where you just roll your eyes, and there are times when you think that's what I've been trying to say for so long. Anyways, I guess the point is he made me want to go to South East Asia and grow poppies. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Yikes! Really not one of his better books. Couldn't tell you what it's even about. The first section was downright painful to get through. It got better after that -- a few giggles-- but mostly incomprehensible. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 24, 2014 |
While the expected rants weren't present in such a bodacious manner as I'd come to expect, this was an interesting intrusion into the realm of Japanese legends, with a nice critique of the War on Drugs to boot. ( )
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
When I was younger I loved Tom Robbins, but this book and the last just weren't speaking to me. I'm not sure if they're just not up to snuff or if I've grown out of him. This is better than "Fierce Invalids from Hot Climates" which no one needs to read. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
As always with Tom Robbins, I find the back-cover description of the book leaves me doubtful as to whether I want to read it, but I'm always glad when I do. Villa Incognito was a quick little read about the mythical Japanese Tanuki, his interaction with humans, and a very peculiar little village in Laos. The characters were enjoyable (though I've liked some from his other novels better) and his turns of phrase never fail to make me smile(/quirk an eyebrow).

When I say "quick little read," I mean it. The novel was quite short, and I felt that the conclusion was somewhat lacking. I would have liked a bit more explanation on the chrysanthemum seed and what it meant. I don't mind puzzling a few things out for myself, but that seemed to be the central theme of the story, and a bit more revelation would have been nice. ( )
2 vote Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
You never know to whom you're talking.

-Bertolt Brecht, The Threepenny Opera
Für Alexa, wen sonst?
For Alexa, of course
It has been reported that Tanuki fell from the sky using his scrotum as a parachute.

Imagine there are American MIAs who chose to remain missing after the Vietnam War. Imagine a family in which four generations of strong, alluring women share a mysterious connection to an outlandish figure from Japanese folklore. Imagine them part of a novel that only Tom Robbins could create—a magically crafted work as timeless as myth yet as topical as the latest international threat. But no matter how hard you try, you’ll never imagine what you’ll find inside the Villa Incognito: a tilt-a-whirl of identity, masquerade, and disguise that dares to pull off “the false mustache of the world” and reveal the even greater mystery underneath. For neither the mists of Laos nor the Bangkok smog, neither the overcast of Seattle nor the fog of San Francisco, neither the murk of the intelligence community nor the mummery of the circus can obscure the pure linguistic phosphor that illuminates every page of one of America’s most consistently surprising and inventive writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:45 -0400)

Imagine that there are American MIAs who chose to remain missing after the Vietnam War. Imagine that there is a family in which four generations of strong, alluring women have shared a mysterious connection to an outlandish figure from Japanese folklore.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,443,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible