Around the world in 80 days by Jules Verne

Around the world in 80 days (edition 2005)

by Jules Verne, Jim Dale

In 1872, English gentleman Phileas Fogg has many adventures as he tries to win a bet that he can travel around the world in eighty days.
Member:SueJ1
Title:Around the world in 80 days
Authors:Jules Verne
Other authors:Jim Dale
Info:[New York] : Listening Library, 2005.
Rating:*****

Work Information

Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (Author)

English (211)  Spanish (7)  Italian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (240)
I haven't read this in years, but still know the story fairly well (I certainly know how it ends) and yet my heart was still racing at the very end. ( )
  hhornblower | Sep 13, 2022 |
This might just be one of the most fast-paced classics I have read so far.

Considering how much happens during such a comparatively short book length of about 250 pages, it's no surprise that Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days was a huge success upon its release in the form of serial installments. The plot faces considerable progress during every chapter, often culminating on a cliffhanger, so it is easy to imagine that readerships during the 1870s were thrilled to learn how this story was going to continue.

Obviously, almost 150 years afterwards, some of the initial thrill of Jules Verne's adventure story has been lost simply due to the timeframe we live in. It isn't quite as extraordinary and seemingly difficult anymore to travel around the globe, and some of the cultural depictions feel strangely inappropriate from our modern point of view (although it should be said that the exhausting 1956 film adaptation of the story, which for some obscure reason managed to win Best Picture, was even more guilty of delivering culturally insensitive representations).

So, Verne's story really works best once you try to emphasize with the mindset of the people who must have been reading this in 1872. A sense of adventure and thrill drives the story along, something that hasn't ever quite been done before and that would have sounded so inachievable if not for some logistical changes in the world throughout the most recent years - to follow these adventures, to capture the novel's spirit of achieving something that might be deemed impossible or ridiculous by those more averse to risking something now and then to achieve your dreams. Verne's story also has some worthy messages, including the depiciton of Phileas Fogg's ambitions - the value of the entire voyage does not lie in the financial compensation that awaited him, but rather in the thrill and excitement of actually having conquered this seemingly inachievable bet, of having done something to be proud of for the rest of his life.

It's a fun and entertaining read that has deservedly turned into a classic of the adventure genre. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
4/5/22
  laplantelibrary | Apr 5, 2022 |
When we started watching the new Masterpiece television series I mentioned to The Hubster that I’d never read the book. He said that it was one of the few books he read in school that he remembered enjoying. Fortunately an ebook edition was available at the library so I was able to download the book that very evening.

I’m kind of baffled why I’ve never read this before now. It was fun and entertaining. It’s quite different from the TV adaptation but I knew that going in. I enjoyed reading about Fogg and Passepartout’s adventures. Fogg is an odd character and I sort of envisioned him as David Tennant throughout the book. The part where he’s unaware that he’s being followed and is suspected of being a thief was fun. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 1, 2022 |
My very first read of a Jules Verne classic, and I found it quite enjoyable. Very light hearted, and totally adventurous. Phineas Fogg was one of the main characters, and very determined, in wanting to get around the world in just 80 days. And I found his loyal servant Passpartout quite captivating. Many occurrences happened along the way, and it was interesting to see how they wrangled themselves out of each situation. ( )
  deaflower | Feb 8, 2022 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Mr. Phileas Fogg lived, in 1872, at No. 7, Saville Row, Burlington Gardens, the house in which Sheridan died in 1814.
In the year 1872, No. 7 Savile Row, Burlington Gardens -- the house where Sheridan died in 1814 -- was occupied by Phileas Fogg, Esq.
(William Butcher's translation).
In the year 1872, the house at number 7 Savile Row, Burlington Gardens - the house in which Sheridan died in 1814 - was lived in by Phileas Fogg, Esq., one of the oddest and most striking members of the Reform Club, even though he seemed determined to avoid doing anything that might draw attention to himself.
(Penguin 2004 edition translation)
This LT work should be the complete text of Jules Verne's 1873 novel, Around the World in Eighty Days. Please do not combine it with any abridgements, adaptations, young readers' versions, pop-up books, graphic novels, annotated editions, multi-title compendiums, single volumes of a multi-volume edition, or other, similar works based on the original. Thank you.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014044906X, 0141035870, 0141194766, 0141331259

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010131X, 140010906X

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832351, 1907832793

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,070,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible