There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly

by Pam Adams, ME Child's Play Auburn

An illustrated version of the cumulative folk song in which the solution proves worse than the predicament when an old lady swallows a fly. Some pages are die-cut, permitting a portion of the next illustration to be seen.

I think I like Simms Taback's version more. But is this the original?

Either way, this is still a solid classic, and a good reminder not to eat a horse. ( )
  mrsandersonreads23 | Apr 14, 2024 |
The one with the proper ending! All the newer ones leave out the eventual absurd death. A family friend used to read this to me when I was small, and this was the edition. Nice colorful pictures and the original goofy rhyme. Great for kids. ( )
  MrKusabi | Mar 5, 2024 |
Zzz
Nursery Rhymes Pictorial Works
Folk Songs In English
  kmgerbig | Apr 6, 2023 |
A little macabre to be honest - didn't remember the whole bit about death when I read it as a kid!
That being said, my 1 year old loves to listen to the book (as long as I make the animal sounds as well) and loves to play with the book itself because of the large holes. ( )
  spiritedstardust | Dec 29, 2022 |
Independent Reading Level: Grades 1-2
  Mgtyre | Dec 6, 2022 |

Pam Adamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
ME Child's Play Auburnmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This book shares an ISBN with The Ghost Who Was Afraid of the Dark by Alex Okin.

"Everyone knows the song about the old lady who swallowed a fly, a spider, a bird, and even worse, but who's ever seen what's going on inside the old lady's stomach? With this inventive die-cut artwork, Simms Tabak gives us a rollicking, eye-popping version of the well-loved poem."
She opens her mouth/ bird and beasts glide down her throat/ now she's dead, of course (caileen)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,620,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible