Dragonfruit by Makiia Lucier

Dragonfruit (edition 2024)

by Makiia Lucier (Author)

"In the old tales, it is written that the egg of a seadragon, dragonfruit, holds within it the power to undo a person's greatest sorrow. But as with all things that offer hope when hope has gone, the tale comes with a warning. Every wish demands a price. Hanalei of Tamarind is the cherished daughter of an old island family. But when her father steals a seadragon egg meant for an ailing princess, she is forced into a life of exile. In the years that follow, Hanalei finds solace in studying the majestic seadragons that roam the Nominomi Sea. Until, one day, an encounter with a female dragon offers her what she desires most: a chance to return home, and to right a terrible wrong. Samahtitamahenele, Sam, is the last remaining prince of Tamarind. But he can never inherit the throne, for Tamarind is a matriarchal society. With his mother ill and his grandmother nearing the end of her reign, Sam is left with two choices: to marry, or to find a cure for the sickness that has plagued his mother for ten long years. When a childhood companion returns from exile, she brings with her something he has not felt in a very long time--hope. But Hanalei and Sam are not the only ones searching for the dragonfruit. And as they battle enemies both near and far, there is another danger they cannot escape . . . that of the dragonfruit itself"--… (more)
Member:Kamryn_Moon
Title:Dragonfruit
Authors:Makiia Lucier (Author)
Info:Clarion Books (2024), 368 pages

Work Information

Dragonfruit by Makiia Lucier

I really enjoyed this story. When I got home from a Hawaiian vacation and wanted more of the islands... I picked up this book. I really enjoyed it! I especially loved how it just felt so much like an island culture (appropriate, since it is) and how the MC has a worldbuilding reason for the ways she's special. (It never got annoying, because there was an explanation for the things she could do… and it didn't magically fix everything, either.)

There were a lot of things I really liked about this book. The seadragons were very cool. I liked them a lot. I got the same awe and magic from them that I remember from early readings of the Pern books. (Though these seadragons and Pern dragons are otherwise very different. They're only similar in my reaction to them.)

I also really liked the markings. I don't want to get a tattoo personally, but a marking—effectively a magical tattoo that is also an animal familiar—would be very cool. The two that appear as new markings during this book are my favorites.

There were a couple of things I didn't like as much, but honestly not many. I wasn't fond of the end result for Captain Erro, for example, and there was a particular scene that was especially heart-wrenching. I knew something of the sort was coming (it was hinted that something was wrong for long enough) but I didn't expect how it was going to go. However... even the bits I didn't like as much were still important for the book. They still made sense within the worldbuilding, and fit the characters' personalities.

I really enjoyed reading this, and it was a breath of fresh air. It felt very much like a book set among a fantasy version of Hawaii, with cultures and customs appropriate to the islands. (Note: there are many islands in the Pacific, but the Hawaiian islands are the only ones I have been to, so that is my comparison.) Also, though this is a YA book and there was a minor subplot of Prince Sam finding a wife, there was no fuss with love triangles or romantic angst, and the romance in the book was very light. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who thinks it sounds interesting, regardless of age. I think that even though it is a YA book, it has a much broader appeal, and could be enjoyed by everyone.

CW: animal death, kidnapping, spider (but a very good spider) ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jul 11, 2024 |
This book didn't quite live up to its potential, but I enjoyed it. I think I would have liked it more if I was quite a bit younger. Still, it was nice to read a YA fantasy that wasn't borderline erotica. Seems like that doesn't happen much since the whole romantasy thing really took off. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jun 24, 2024 |
This wasn’t bad, but you could tell something was missing – maybe it was too low stakes or the characters didn’t develop much. Dragonfruit is strictly plot development.

But I did enjoy the female friendship (spoiler: You think it’s going to be typical girl hate but Rosamie has different motives for wanting Sam’s affection), the dragonfruit lore + the sentient tattoos, how characters aren’t just black and white with morality, and the tense family relations of Jejomar.

There’s potential for a very sweet ‘childhood friends to lovers’ romance here, but it’s almost nonexistent and rapid.

2.5 ( )
  DestDest | Jun 19, 2024 |

Dazzling sea dragons, desired dragonfruit eggs and deadly wishes.

That rating is basically for the sea dragons and Fetu.

This had an interesting premise but the execution was off. The pacing wasn’t quite right and the romance lacked chemistry. Highly valuable information wasn’t passed on and the choices made regarding dangerous criminals were silly. As I said, the idea is fantastic but it wasn’t fully fleshed out.
Justice for the sea dragons ( )
  spiritedstardust | Jun 1, 2024 |

Current Discussions

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,284,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible