House of Fat Man: Rules in the Golden…

House of Fat Man: Rules in the Golden Triangle

Info:Wise Media Gorup

Work Information

House of Fat Man: Rules in the Golden Triangle by M. Gerard-Alesco

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book and read it. I really enjoyed it however it is not something I would Normally pick up to read. The writing was done very well and the story telling was exceptional I could picture everything going on. In gave it 4 stars. ( )
  Ttgamboa | May 15, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from LibraryThing. I enjoyed this book more than any other book I have read so far this year. The Author's use of language is wonderful. Periodically I had to look up a word in the Dictionary - this gave me the opportunity to grow my vocabulary a little. The story was well done. You could see a movie being made of it. I am not discussing the plot line - you can look that up elsewhere. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Mar 5, 2024 |
Review: House of Fat Man by M. Gerard-Alesco 4* 12/23/2023
This was an Early Reviewer's Book. The characters were well developed and they enhanced the story to flow along as it did. I thought the story was interesting and written well. The setting was in the mix of Thailand and the Asia area. One character was mentioned throughout the book that kept the mystery and secrets until the very end. His friends and other people didn't know that he was Lord Saint Clair until his mother got involved.
The story was about a Chinese drug lord who kept other drug dealers out of his area. They claimed that Lord Saint Clair was last known to be going to the dangerous hill tribe when he just disappeared. His friends hunted many times to find him and his family there in Thailand had no idea where he was. His close friends were researchers who came in contact with the opium operation that was going on. There was also a small clinic that was operated by a wonderful woman. Unbeknown to her they use her address to have some weapons delivered in crates and placed in her storage space. The book was based on heroin production and drug smuggling. There were some twists and turns throughout the story and new events happened as crooked gambling, beautiful women always owned by someone, and violence everywhere. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Mar 1, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good story with an overall well written plot. It did start slower than I would have liked. I felt lost for the first 75 pages or so not really understanding all the asides that were inserted. It started making more sense later. The author obviously is familiar with the setting.

I liked the book overall, but there were a couple spots that were difficult to push through as a reader. ( )
  Luke.w | Feb 29, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
House of Fat Man: Rules in the Golden Triangle is a thriller set in the remote jungles of northern Thailand during the Viet Nam war. Two of the characters who feature throughout the book are Greg, an academic sociologist working with the local natives, and Albie, a wealthy Brit aristocrat who built a research station to support efforts against deforestation. The local economy is based on the opium trade. The Fat Man of the title runs a drug shipping business and effectively rules the area. Albie disappears after going to investigate a bit of thuggery at the defunct research station, and the plot is driven by efforts by his friends to discover what happened to him.

Author M. Gerard-Alesco is obviously familiar with the area, and the exotic setting is both believable and supportive of the narrative. Characters are fleshed out and have realistic interactions. The novel seems lengthy, perhaps because of the structure. Part One and Part Two both feature forays into the jungle looking for clues to Albie’s fate, with some changes of supporting characters. It seemed repetitive.

I also note that while Albie is a main character, really the focus of the book, he appears in person on page 1 and is off-stage for the rest of the novel. We know him by what the others say about him. He seems interesting and I’d have liked to see him in action on his own.
  Larxol | Jan 25, 2024 |

FICTION
Thrillers / Suspense / Romantic Comedy / Action & Adventure ||

An eccentric British scientist's quixotic attempt to curtail teak deforestation in the infamous Golden Triangle turns deadly when his agricultural research project near the remote village of Ban Su disrupts the decades-long practice of opium growing.

As the conflict ensues, Greg Robber, a young American “researcher,” finds himself entangled in the secretive affairs of his new British friend and an escalating battle to save both of their lives from the clutches of the nefarious, Chinese drug lord known as the Fat Man.

When Lord Saint Clair suddenly disappears in the dangerous hill tribe world of heroin production and drug smuggling, Greg descends into the sordid and sketchy shadows of Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Pattaya, searching for allies among morally deficient and damaged expats, beautiful (if sullied) women, crooked gamblers, and terrible men—a brood of vipers—all of whom live by lies and lust while hiding their dark pasts.

Violence, romance, mutual betrayal, exile, and finally revenge will come to define Greg's fate on his ultimate trip into the Golden Triangle

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

M. Gerard-Alesco's book House of Fat Man: Rules in the Golden Triangle was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,437,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible