Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Foundation (original 1951; edition 1991)

by Isaac Asimov (Author)

17,233306214 (4)2 / 478
One of the great masterworks of science fiction, the Foundation novels of Isaac Asimov are unsurpassed for their unique blend of nonstop action, daring ideas, and extensive world-building. The story of our future begins with the history of Foundation and its greatest psychohistorian: Hari Seldon. For twelve thousand years the Galactic Empire has ruled supreme. Now it is dying. Only Hari Seldon, creator of the revolutionary science of psychohistory, can see into the future--a dark age of ignorance, barbarism, and warfare--that will last thirty thousand years. To preserve knowledge and save mankind, Seldon gathers the best minds in the Empire--both scientists and scholars--and brings them to a bleak planet at the edge of the Galaxy to serve as a beacon of hope for future generations. He calls his sanctuary the Foundation. But soon the fledgling Foundation finds itself at the mercy of corrupt warlords rising in the wake of the receding Empire. And mankind's last best hope is faced with an agonizing choice: submit to the barbarians and live as slaves, or take a stand for freedom and risk total destruction.… (more)
Member:MaryVBlair
Title:Foundation
Authors:Isaac Asimov (Author)
Info:Bantam Spectra Books (1991), Edition: Revised, 296 pages

Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Author) (1951)

Recently added byprivate library, MCBacon, goobertellii, Rennie80, rogov, noisydeadlines, jphastings, Forumbewohner
    Dune by Frank Herbert (Patangel, JonTheTerrible, philAbrams)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (karnoefel)
    karnoefel: de eerste drie foundation boeken in een robuuste hardcoverband. Dit boek was een van de eerste sf boeken die ik las in de jaren 70 in de bibliotheek van Tegelen
    The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov (Cecrow)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (br77rino)
    Pebble in the Sky by Isaac Asimov (br77rino)
    br77rino: Pebble in the Sky is the first book Asimov wrote regarding the Galactic Empire, a subject he used in his later masterpiece trilogy, Foundation.
    Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford (Patangel)
    Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov (philAbrams)
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (nar_)
    nar_: Space travelling and interminable, huge lands and space... so huge !
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (yokai)
    Psychohistorical Crisis by Donald Kingsbury (goodiegoodie)
    The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu (aulandez)
    Shadow of Heaven by Bob Shaw (Polenth)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (Anonymous user)
    The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer (missmaddie)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (br77rino)

English (282)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Slovak (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (304)
After enjoying I, Robot so much I decided to attack another Isaac Asimov title, Foundation. It was originally part of a trilogy but in later years more books were added including a prequel. There is a differing opinion as to what order they are best read but I decided on sticking with the first one published.

The basic premise follows the historic tale of the inhabitants of a planet called Terminus. Their path through time has been predicted by a psychohisotrial called Hari Seldon. The book covers a wide time span, focusing on different eras instead of one small time frame. As a result none of the characters are developed to a great extent, much the same as in I, Robot. I don't find this an issue as I actually really enjoy his economy of words and letting the story do the work.

I enjoyed the book but not as much as I enjoyed I, Robot. I am not sure why, I can't quite put my finger on it but it may have been down the fact that I, Robot contained a collection of short stories. I don't have a copy of the next book in the series so I wont be reading it as soon as I would like. ( )
1 vote Brian. | Jun 19, 2021 |
Very good science fiction. ( )
  lynngood2 | Jun 13, 2021 |
There's a noticeable absence of women. I guess equality wasn't one of the things expected to develop in the 220 centuries of empire.

Which isn't the only anachronism. Someone's phone goes off while their in the bath. Which was a thing back in the day.

With reading The Dispossessed, Dune and Roadside Picnic I've been doing the, ahem, foundational Sci-fi works.
2 vote thenumeraltwo | Jun 9, 2021 |
An absorbing book, Foundation is about people just like us who live in a future so distant that they've forgotten where man began. Hari Seldon is a visionary created by a grand master of science fiction who almost singlehandedly invented the genre. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
When looking into Sci-Fi books that I should have already read, this trilogy kept coming up. It won the Hugo award for "Best Trilogy" - an award created just to give it to this series. It was short, but lived up to the hype. The premise relies on “psychohistory”, a way of mathematically predicting the future. The first book was actually based on a number of short stories and parallels the fall of Rome. I enjoyed the series, but not enough to read the other 11 books in the series. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |

Rosenthal, JeanTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scaglia, CesareTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post-1973 reissues:
To the memory of my mother
(1895–1973)
1951 issue:
To my Mother

Of whose Authentic Gray Hairs
Not a few were caused by myself.
HARI SELDON ... born in the 11,988th year of the Galactic Era: died 12,069.

ENCYCLOPEDIA GALACTICA
His name was Gaal Dornick and he was just a country boy who had never seen Trantor before.
It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Violence is the last refuge of the competent.
He had brought down his first Nyak when scarcely thirteen; had brought down his tenth the week after his accession to the throne; and was returning now from his forty-sixth.

‘Fifty before I come of age,’ he had exulted. ‘Who’ll take the wager?’

But courtiers don’t take wagers against the king’s skill. There is the deadly danger of winning.

First issued as Ace Double D-110 (with Poul Anderson's "No World of Their Own"); shortly thereafter, reissued as a stand-alone with the same publisher's number (D-110); reissued again a few years later as D-538. One of the stories that make up the 'fix-up' novel "Foundation".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible