The dice man by Luke Rhinehart

Member:dennymeta
Title:The dice man
Authors:Luke Rhinehart
Info:

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart (1971)

The Handicapper by Robert Kalich (bergs47)
    Yes Man by Danny Wallace (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: Another story about a central character who puts restrictions on his decision making, thus changing the outcome of their life.

English (31)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (35)
Not sure how this got to be a cult book. I enjoyed the 70s feel of the story, but couldn't get over the inherent flaw in the logic behind the idea of being liberated by assigning decisions to the roll of a dice. By inherent flaw, I mean that by both assigning a choice of action to the dice or by choosing to roll the dice in the first place, the choice is made by man not dice.

BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
The only reason I read this all the way to the end (apart from a masochistic streak that wont let me discard a book) is that is was a book club selection.

The premise of the actual story sounded fine even interesting about how one man decides to let the roll of a dice or die decide his entire life so far so good and then...

The first thing he lets the dice decide is if he should rape his neighbour who happens to be the wife of a colleague I mean WTF what kind of sick mind would even suggest that as an option for the dice?

From there the book goes rapidly down hill the kind of behaviour shown would have been bad enough in a single man with no responsibilities but..

1) The Diceman is a therapist responsible for the mental health of others
2) He is a husband who obviously doesn't care about his wife
3) He is a father who tries to draw his children into his sick world

As if that wasn't enough every woman the dice decides he should rape somehow ends up as a consenting adult surely that is a dangerous message to putting out or at the very least it is ill advised.

The other thing that got me was the man character "The Diceman" shared exactly the same name as the author I mean why would a writer want to associate themselves with the kind of sicko the book portrays?

Anyway you may have guessed I didn't like this book and would only recommend it to people who think "American Psycho" is a cult classic and who didn't feel the need to distances themselves from everything they had read in that book by reading a nice harmless childrens story to reassure themselves that the world is an OK place really. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
An extraordinary book. This brilliant concept of rolling your life away simply blew me away.
In parts, it was simply hilarious and shocking in equal measure.
Brilliantly written, this has stayed with me for years.

jameserith | Jul 27, 2015 |
In parts, it was simply hilarious and shocking in equal measure.
Brilliantly written, this has stayed with me for years.

jameserith | Jul 27, 2015 |
cover claims to change your life, it's not that amazing, although I might do something different because I read it. worthwhile ( )
  Mrdrewk | Dec 2, 2014 |
to A.
J.
M.
without any of whom,
no Book.
I am a large man, with big butcher's hands, great oak thighs, rock-jawes head, and massive, thick-lens glasses.
1. I hated myself and the world because I had failed to face an accept the limitations of my self and of life. In literature this refusal is called romanticsim; in psychology neurosis. The assumption is that a limited and bored self is the unavoidable, all embracing norm.

2. Love, one of society's many socially accepted forms of madness.

3. Success and failure mean simply the satisfaction and frustration of desire.

Luke Reinhart is a psychiatrist, a husband and a father, his life locked down by routine and order - until he picks up the dice. The dice govern his every decision and each throw takes him further into a world of risk, discovery and freedom. As the cult of the dice grows around him the old order fades: chance becomes his religion, the dice his god.

"The rules are all around you. The rules that stop you seducing your neighbour downstairs, that stop you hitting your boss, that stop you leaving your family and leaving the country. The rules that stop you living. The dice don't do rules; the dice do life. Luke Rhinehart is a psychiatrist, a husband and a father, his life locked down by routine and order - until he picks up the dice. The dice govern his every decision and each throw takes him further into a world of risk, discovery and freedom. As the cult of the dice grows around him the old order fades: chance becomes his religion, the dice his god. If you haven't lived the life of the dice, you haven't lived at all. Let the dice decide. And roll with it."--Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,904,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible