The Name of This Book Is Secret by…

The Name of This Book Is Secret (2007)

by Pseudonymous Bosch

Series: Terces Society | Secret Series (book 1)

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (megan003)
    The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (kaledrina)
    The Exquisite Corpse Adventure by National Children's Book and Literacy Alliance (kaledrina)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (keeneam)
    keeneam: Same idea of a narrator talking to the reader, adding commentary with humor
    Here Be Monsters! by Alan Snow (octixam)
    octixam: I think people who read "The Name" should read Here Be Monsters because its just as funny and also very creative.

Cassandra and Max-Ernest are eleven-year-old who go to the same school. Cassandra is a survivalist who has a wild imagination and is always predicting disaster. In her opinion it is “better to cry wolf over and over than never to cry wolf at all. She also has large pointy ears but no school friends.

Meanwhile Max-Ernest is small for his age, likes to tell jokes and talk non-stop. He has a logical mind, likes to study and think things through. He is often ridiculed but never lets what other people say upset him and like Cassandra has no real friends.

When Cassandra's mother goes to a Hawaii she is left in the care of Larry and Wayne, her substitute grandfathers. Larry and Wayne live around the corner from Cassandra and her mother in an old fire station that has been converted into an antiques store. One Wednesday Gloria Fortune, a real estate agent for the dead, shows up at the antique store with a box of contents from the home of a magician who has disappeared which she wants Larry and Wayne to take off her hands. Included with the items is redwood box containing dozens of sparkling crystal vials, a small brass plaque engraved with “The Symphony of Smells” and a notebook. Cassandra enlists Max-Ernest's help to uncover the secret behind the “Symphony of Smells”.

While trying to solve the mystery, the two youngsters meet Dr. L. and Ms. Mauvais, wealthy and evil villains who always wear white gloves. When a classmate goes missing after Dr. L. and Ms. Mauvais visit their school Cassandra and Max-Ernest set out to rescue him. In the process they learn the meaning of 'real' friendship.

Firstly I should point out that this book is aimed at a much, much younger readership than yours truly so I don't really fit the target audience which may colour my opinion of it. As it is I find that I have very mixed feeling about this book. Firstly I rather liked the central story, I felt that it was well written and moved along at a decent pace. However, I also found the narrator's interventions annoying and frankly a little patronising hence the relatively low rating. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Jun 9, 2019 |
Would give this 3,5 stars if that was an option.

This book has a narrator telling the story, but since no-one should know what happens or to whom, the narrator uses fake names and places. So, “Cass” and “Max-Ernest” are two eleven-year-olds who become interested in a box labeled “The Symphony of Smells” left behind by a recently deceased magician. While investigating the magician’s house, the two kids stumble upon the magician’s notebook and a very intriguing mystery. Throw in some bad guys and the disappearance of a classmate, and the two kids have quite the adventure on their hands.

What I liked: the two main characters are unique and quirky; the mystery is quite intriguing; and, the plot has many unexpected twists. The story is also well-written.

What I did not like: the narrator. He constantly says he should not tell the reader this, or he can’t say what really happened. I understand this is the gimmick, but after about the first fifty pages, I was over it. I just wanted to read the story (which was interesting). There’s even an entire chapter toward the middle of the book where the narrator says he decided to end the book there and goes on a tangent about chocolate, and ends the chapter with why he must keep writing. I understand the narrator’s interruptions might be interesting to some (there are five books in the series), but it was just not my cup of tea.

3.5 out of 5 stars ( )
  AlbaArango | May 2, 2019 |

Particularly recommended for readers of ten and up (or advanced readers of eight and up), it's a mystery story somewhat in the manner of Lemony Snicket but not as baroque; our protagonists, two misfit schoolkids, find themselves embroiled in a mystery involving an archive of smells and the legacy of two magician brothers. I gave the whole collection of five books to a young relative last year on a friend's recommendation, and she enjoyed them enough that I felt I should give the first one a go myself. I'm not going to rush to read the rest, not having regular reading company of the appropriate age. ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 30, 2018 |
My grandson offered his copy of the book for my reading pleasure. This book is a good read for the middle age group. The writing style is reminiscent of that of Lemony Snicket (Daniel Handler). Could it even be one and the same? I enjoyed, and I believe young people enjoy, how the author "toys with" the reader by offering teasers to get the reader to continue and also to learn new vocabulary. This is the first book in a mystery series and I will most likely read the next book some time soon. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
I enjoyed it, but it was a little ... ... "off"? Felt too Lemony Snickety, perhaps... ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |

Pseudonymous Boschprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ford, GilbertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ford, GilbertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For W.P. May
WARNING: DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS PAGE!

This is the story about a secret. but it also contains a secret story.

When adventurous detectives, Cass, an ever-vigilant survivalist, and Max-Ernest, a boy driven by logic, discover the Symphony of Smells, a box filled with smelly vials of colorful ingredients, they accidentally stumble upon a mystery surrounding a dead magician's diary and the hunt for immortality.

Filled with word games, anagrams, and featuring a mysterious narrator, this is a book that won't stay secret for long.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

Two eleven-year-old misfits try to solve the mystery of a dead magician and stop the evil Dr. L and Ms. Mauvais, who are searching for the secret of immortality.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,560,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible