The Name of this Book Is Secret (The Secret…

The Name of this Book Is Secret (The Secret Series, Book 1) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Pseudonymous Bosch (Author)

Two eleven-year-old misfits try to solve the mystery of a dead magician and stop the evil Dr. L and Ms. Mauvais, who are searching for the secret of immortality.
Member:joyfulsoda
Title:The Name of this Book Is Secret (The Secret Series, Book 1)
Authors:Pseudonymous Bosch (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2008), Edition: Illustrated, 400 pages

Work Information

The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (2007)

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (megan003)
    The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (kaledrina)
    The Exquisite Corpse Adventure by National Children's Book and Literacy Alliance (kaledrina)
    A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (keeneam)
    keeneam: Same idea of a narrator talking to the reader, adding commentary with humor
    Here Be Monsters! by Alan Snow (octixam)
    octixam: I think people who read "The Name" should read Here Be Monsters because its just as funny and also very creative.

A refreshingly different children's book. Though I am a bit unsure about calling it that. If you give this book to a child you best make sure to give them an encyclopaedia too ^^°
That said it leaves a lot room for your own imagination, even in the very end. ( )
  Sue_Z | Mar 22, 2022 |
This would be the perfect book to recommend to kids who like books like The Series of Unfortunate Events books. If they like the narrator speaking to them- then this will be a hit. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jan 21, 2022 |
Read this together with my daughter. We both liked it a lot. Very well done. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
children's fiction (mystery, magic, adventure with boy and girl protagonists). Well-done audio version (with distinct and credible voices for each character) that delivers a satisfactory mystery adventure. The author's asides and warnings to the reader stop just short of becoming tiresome (frequently a danger with these types of stories) and I would recommend to kids who enjoyed Trenton Stewards "Mysterious Benedict Society" series, as well as to Lemony Snicket fans. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This reminded me very much of Roald Dahl. I loved all of his books growing up so I couldn't help but like this too. The story is very humorous and contains a lot of pointed political statements that might go over some kids' heads but will definitely make others think. And I was so happy that the main character Cass has two grandfathers who live together and own an antique shop without having to go into any details about their sexual orientation. It's just taken for rote that she loves them and they're a pair. That's progress in children's literature right there. I also loved the literary device of the narrator's voice and the twists and turns that took the story through. It was a refreshing metafictional approach to take in juvenile literature and I loved it. I'm sure I'll eventually read the rest of the books in this series but there are just too many other interesting books on my to-read list to dive into right now... ( )
  bugaboo_4 | Jan 3, 2021 |

Pseudonymous Boschprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ford, GilbertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ford, GilbertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For W.P. May
WARNING: DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS PAGE!

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316113662, 0316113697

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,069,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible