The Second Rumpole Omnibus by John Mortimer

The Second Rumpole Omnibus (1987)

by John Mortimer

PR6025 .O7 S42 1987 (VJH)
  Farella | Mar 29, 2011 |
I just adore Horace and Hilda I feel like a fly on the wall when I read Rumpole Its a shame there will be no more, rest in peace John Mortimer. ( )
  hallroy12 | Feb 12, 2011 |
Horace Rumpole presents himself as just an Old Bailey hack doing run-of-the-mill burglary defenses and the odd car-heist case. In reality he defends the best in the Anglo-American legal traditions against modern forces (for example, the presumption of innocence) - and this was written 20+ years ago!

Rumpole is the lovable defender of the average man and foe to all stick-in-the-muds. His motto "Never plead guilty." It could just as well be comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Hilarious, warm, human, touching, self-effacing and ever-ready to pierce the pompous gasbag - that's Rumpole of the Bailey. Start with the First Rumpole Omnibus and work your way through the rest.

Guaranteed to tickle your funny bone and warm your heart ( )
1 vote dougwood57 | Dec 21, 2008 |
Rumpole - a classic and hilarious view of the English criminal legal system through the eyes of one of its practitioners, the fictional Rumpole, and as written by a barrister, John Mortimer. I think even those unfamiliar with the system would find these entertaining. ( )
1 vote Eric_the_Hamster | Oct 17, 2005 |
This morning a postcard, decorated with an American stamp and a fine view of the Florida freeways, put me in mind of the long-distant day when my son Nick first left these shores, leaving his mother and father staring at each other in wild surmise alone in our 'mansion' flat in Froxbury Court, Gloucester Road. (Rumpole and the Confession of Guilt)

Included are twenty stories featuring Horace Rumpole, the claret-swilling, poetry-spouting barristor investigator.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,247,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible