The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code (original 2003; edition 2009)

by Dan Brown

Title:The Da Vinci Code
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Anchor (2009), Edition: Mass Paperback Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 597 pages

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (2003)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (tortoise, hippietrail, Torikton, Sensei-CRS, Sumpinfunky)
    tortoise: Foucault's Pendulum covers a lot of the same ground as The Da Vinci code, but is much more intelligently written and contains real characters.
    hippietrail: Foucault's Pendulum is the thinking man's Da Vinci Code
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (_Zoe_)
    Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (shesinplainview)
    Codex by Lev Grossman (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (suzanney, kawika)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (norabelle414)
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (mrstreme)
    Juliet by Anne Fortier (Bitter_Grace)
    Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know about Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and Constantine by Bart D. Ehrman (bertilak)
    Map Of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann, Scottneumann)
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury (Anonymous user)
    The Prophetess by Barbara Wood (TomWaitsTables)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: An award-winning bestseller. A Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    Sirkelens ende by Tom Egeland (SonjaA)
    The Search by Judith Reeves-Stevens (Scottneumann)
    Valsheid in geschrifte : de verborgen agenda van bijbelschrijvers by Jakob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Het document by Jacob Slavenburg (marieke54)
    Gray Apocalypse by James Murdoch (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Both are adventures with a hint of the spiritual. Both have the ability to appeal to a vast number of people. Similar flavor, similar attitudes.
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Alixtii)

English (1,052)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (16)  French (14)  Italian (8)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Arabic (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (1,145)
You have to give it to Dan Brown: he knows how to write a fast-paced, breath-taking thriller; in fact you eat up the pages so quickly that you don't realise how bad the writing is or how preposterous and unlikely the plot, and I'm sure that if I had spent any more time analysing the various clues and revelations I would have been able to poke holes in them as big as an Emmental cheese. But that's literary fast food for you: it satisfies an immediate need but you don't spend any more time than necessary on it or thinking how special it was. ( )
  passion4reading | Oct 7, 2016 |
I really don't know if I've ever read a book as terrible as this one. I read it all the way through to the end, because, as with a train wreck, I couldn't look away. ( )
  celesteporche | Sep 29, 2016 |
I loved this series. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Re-read: September 13, 2016
Same rating

I still find it astonishing how the author managed to stitch all of the seemingly unrelated information and tidbits that have no business with each other; and to build on theories and make a novel out of it that cause such a furor ten years ago!

First read: August 11, 2013
Original rating: 4/5

Original review at Whatever You Can Still Betray.

This is my nth time reading this book since I've first read it back in college. Probably because the things written here were interesting, controversial and thought-provoking.

I remember that time when it was first published when I was in first year college, 16-years-old. It was all my dorm mates talk about and I was curious as to what they were discussing and the resulting backlash of outraged people (mostly religious ones) and criticisms.

I didn't read it that time since I took one look at the book cover and dismissed it. I was still in that make-believe world of pretty cover equals good book. It wasn't until my stepfather bought himself a copy of that book that I labored to read it. I was the first to read it in the family since they were wary of reading it.

To my surprise, it was really good and I quite actually enjoyed it. This kind of books, which I count with Robert Ludlum's and Michael Crichton's, were not usually my cup of tea. I only was the Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Little Women/Midnighters/Mills & Boon type of reader. But reading this book made me branch out of my comfort zone and acquaint myself with "manly books". Well, it is not politically correct to name them "manly books" but I usually equate them with the men in my family because they're the only ones who read them.

I will not bore you with details of such and such things from the book because, I dare say, you may know already what the contents are since you would have read them or most probably heard them on the news, the internet, and from someone from the pulpit.

When my mother asked if the book was really that damaging to the Church and one's religious beliefs, I just shrugged and told her that people, once again had a major overreaction.

"Mom, whether the book spews the truth or not; whether it undermines the Church's authority or enlightens the masses; whether it tempts people like the devil or not, it all boils down to the fact that it's a book. Frankly, I don't understand all the hullabaloo about. It's up to you what or who you believe in and no one and nothing should tell you that." ( )
1 vote Ayanami_Faerudo | Sep 13, 2016 |
Gripping thriller; fast-paced. I don't know how true the Magdalene thing is, but I'm more aware of lies told by authorities. ( )
  dxrsam | Aug 12, 2016 |
Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad. In some passages scarcely a word or phrase seems to have been carefully selected or compared with alternatives
Whenever I read a 454 page book in one sitting, it's probably a safe bet for me to think that other people will like the book. Not that my criteria for excellence necessarily matches that of the literary masses -- but the words "breakout thriller" certainly apply here. Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is going to make publishing history. Trust me. There are already tables at the local Barnes & Nobles featuring books about the Freemasons, biographies of Leonardo Da Vinci, guidebooks to the Louvre and Renaissance art, all centered around Brown's book. And the book has been out less than two weeks.
The word for ''The Da Vinci Code'' is a rare invertible palindrome. Rotated 180 degrees on a horizontal axis so that it is upside down, it denotes the maternal essence that is sometimes linked to the sport of soccer. Read right side up, it concisely conveys the kind of extreme enthusiasm with which this riddle-filled, code-breaking, exhilaratingly brainy thriller can be recommended.

That word is wow.
The story occasionally strains credibility early on. How could a dying man, one wonders, have time to write out intricate mind puzzles even if as Sophie explains, her grandfather "entertained himself as a young man by creating anagrams of famous works of art." Fortunately, Brown's pacing doesn't leave too much time for questions. From the explosive start to the explosive finish, The Da Vinci Code is one satisfying thriller. I see movie rights being sold already. Pick this one up on a long flight home and you'll never know where the time went.
Den Braun u svom trileru Da Vinčijev kod, kreativno kombinuje mnogobrojne istorijske reference (Da Vinči, Templari, sveti Graal) sa fikcijom. Protagonista romana je, kao i u prethodnom bestseleru Anđeli i demoni harvardski profesor Robert Lengdon . Kada pariska policija otkrije njegovo ime sakriveno u šifrovanoj poruci pronađenoj pored tela ubijenog kustosa Luvra, on postaje njihov glavni osumnjičeni za brutalno ubistvo. Jedina osoba koja veruje u njegovu nevinost je francuski kriptolog, Sofi Nevu, koja mu pomaže da pobegne. Bežeći od policije pokušavaju da dešifruju misterioznu poruku i dolaze do zapanjujućeg zaključka. Ključ za rešenje je sakriven u Da Vinčijevim delima, svima vidljiv, istovremeno dobro sakriven. Put im se ukršta sa vekovima starim tajnim društvom, čiji je član bio pokojni kustos, ali i Da Vinči, Isak Njutn, Botičeli, Igo, kao i sa kontroverznim ogrankom Katoličke crkve. Ukoliko Robert i Sofi ne uspeju da dešifruju kod na vreme, drevna tajna, kao i velika istorijska istina, biće zauvek izgubljena.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Blythe... again. More than ever.
Robert Langdon awoke slowly.
Sophie: "I thought Constantine was a Christian"
Bezu: "Did you approve?" (about the Louvre Pyramid)

Robert: "Yes, your pyramid is magnificent."

Bezu: (grunt) "A scar on the face of Paris."
Robert: "We're on a Grail quest, Sophie. Who better to help us than a knight?" (about Leigh)
Leigh: "Those who seek the truth are more than friends. They are brothers."
A cryptex works much like a bicycle's combination lock ... any information to be inserted is written on a papyrus scroll ... rolled around a delicate glass vial of liquid ... vinegar ... If someone attempted to force open the cryptex, the glass vial would break, and the vinegar would quickly dissolve the papyrus. By the time anyone extracted the secret message, it would be a glob of meaningless pulp.
A murder in the silent after-hours halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle.

The duo become both suspects and detectives searching not only for Neveu's grandfather's murderer, but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England and history itself.
Serial killer
thriller with a religious
twist. Why all the fuss?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385504209, Hardcover)

With The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown masterfully concocts an intelligent and lucid thriller that marries the gusto of an international murder mystery with a collection of fascinating esoteria culled from 2,000 years of Western history.

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ. The victim is a high-ranking agent of this ancient society who, in the moments before his death, manages to leave gruesome clues at the scene that only his granddaughter, noted cryptographer Sophie Neveu, and Robert Langdon, a famed symbologist, can untangle. The duo become both suspects and detectives searching for not only Neveu's grandfather's murderer but also the stunning secret of the ages he was charged to protect. Mere steps ahead of the authorities and the deadly competition, the mystery leads Neveu and Langdon on a breathless flight through France, England, and history itself. Brown (Angels and Demons) has created a page-turning thriller that also provides an amazing interpretation of Western history. Brown's hero and heroine embark on a lofty and intriguing exploration of some of Western culture's greatest mysteries--from the nature of the Mona Lisa's smile to the secret of the Holy Grail. Though some will quibble with the veracity of Brown's conjectures, therein lies the fun. The Da Vinci Code is an enthralling read that provides rich food for thought. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

The secret Catholic organization known as Opus Dei has struck. The elderly curator of the Louvre has been found dead inside the museum, surrounded by eldritch ciphers in invisible ink. It is up to Harvard semiotician Robert Langdon and his French cryptologist partner Sophie Neveu to decode the cipers, and get to the bottom of an ever-widening mystery. They discover that the late curator was the gatekeeper of the "Priory of Sion", a secret society whose members included Leonardo da Vinci, and that he sacrificed his life to protect a vastly important ancient religious relic from Opus Dei. If Langdon and Neveu do not deciper the clues in time, Opus Dei will get its hands on the relic, and havoc will be wrought.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,756,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible