SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Dóm řetězů : příběh z Malazské knihy…

Dóm řetězů : příběh z Malazské knihy Padlých (edition 2005)

by Steven Erikson

Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen (4), World of Malaz (Book of the Fallen 4), Malazan Chronology (10)

Best selling author Steven Erikson returns with the latest in the morbid history of the Malazan Empire In Northern Genabackis, a raiding party of savage tribal warriors descends from the mountains into the southern flatlands. Their intention is to wreak havoc amongst the despised lowlanders, but for the one named Karsa Orlong it marks the beginning of what will prove to be an extraordinary destiny. Some years later, it is the aftermath of the Chain of Dogs. Tavore, the Adjunct to the Empress, has arrived in the last remaining Malazan stronghold of Seven Cities. New to command, she must hone twelve thousand soldiers, mostly raw recruits but for a handful of veterans of Coltaine's legendary march, into a force capable of challenging the massed hordes of Sha'ik's Whirlwind who lie in wait in the heart of the Holy Desert. But waiting is never easy. The seer's warlords are locked into a power struggle that threatens the very soul of the rebellion, while Sha'ik herself suffers, haunted by the knowledge of her nemesis: her own sister, Tavore. And so begins this awesome new chapter in Steven Erikson's acclaimed Malazan Book of the Fallen . . .… (more)
Member:mimildak
Title:Dóm řetězů : příběh z Malazské knihy Padlých
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Praha : Talpress, 2005

Work Information

House of Chains by Steven Erikson

English (41)  Slovak (1)  All languages (42)
Pretty good. Karsa is definitely awesome, but takes a while to get there. Does suffer from the malazan sickness of only half of the words read making any sense until books later, but whatcha gonna do. Next up, let's hear that story, Trull.

THE RANKING THUS FAR:

DG ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
A couple of compelling new PoV characters in Karsa (after his initial chapters) and Onrack. In terms of actual plot less happens than in previous books, or at least it feels slower paced; it builds nicely to a final crescendo. A lot more world building and enough of the end game is revealed with a lot of new lore with some dogs... ( )
  EdwardL95 | Jan 7, 2020 |
No one but fellow fans of TMBOTF are going to even glance at a review of Book 4 of the series, so I will skip the gushing about how you just have to try Erikson.

I do want to say that my entire perspective on reading has been changed by Erikson. I seldom reread before this, but I am blown away by how much more I am enjoying this series on a reread.

And it is not just about catching a handful of Easter eggs that I missed the first time. It is about better understanding the basics of the plot, characters, backstories...

My one excuse is that I have listened to TMBOTF on 1.25-1.75x speed.

But still, wow, the stuff I missed the first time...!?! I am not a dummy, really....?!?!

Which just makes me love the whole thing so, so, so much more. ( )
  Robert_Musil | Dec 15, 2019 |

THE RANKING THUS FAR:

DG ( )
  sigma16 | Dec 5, 2019 |
Oh, Erikson, why do you have to make this so hard for me?

Again, this is no 5 star book for me, but again, I feel bad giving it "just" 4 stars. There are so many mysteries resolved and you are learning a lot about the history of the world, and so many new mysteries are created. I am looking forward to the next book, as usual.

But, with this book, I somehow got the feeling that it was kind of a "filler", as in "Let's give them some things to think about in this book", while no really "epic" things happen. There is no chain of dogs, no siege, and even though the end was quite interesting, it lacked the drama of Deadhouse Gates, the tension of Memories of Ice.

What's left is a good book that explains more about the world, and the feeling that the next book might be a bit more epic.

I still recommend the series to every fantasy reader with a bit of patience. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mark Paxton MacRae, for the KO punch. This one's all yours, my friend.
Grey, bloated and pocked, the bodies lined the silt-laden shoreline for as far as the eye could see.
“Regrets are as nothing. The value lies in how they are answered.”
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Der Krieg der Schwestern' (2002) ISBN 3-442-24271-1 and
'Das Haus der Ketten' (2002) ISBN 3-442-24292-4
Please do not combine these works

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,353,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible