Půlnoční vlny : příběh z Malazské…

Půlnoční vlny : příběh z Malazské knihy Padlých (edition 2007)

by Steven Erikson

Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen (5), World of Malaz (Book of the Fallen 5), Malazan Chronology (6)

After decades of warfare, the five tribes of the Tiste Edur have united under the rule of the Warlock King of Hiroth. But peace has been exacted at a terrible price - a pact made with a hidden power whose motives are at best suspect, at worst deadly. For destiny has decreed that the Tiste Edur must fall.… (more)
Member:mimildak
Title:Půlnoční vlny : příběh z Malazské knihy Padlých
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Praha : Talpress, 2007

Work Information

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

English (43)  Slovak (1)  All languages (44)
Introduces some fantastic new characters to the series, as many people will tell you. Took a while for me to get into the new continent, but it really picks up as it goes on. Several memorable characters in here who I loved reading about (Brys, Tehol, Trull to name three). ( )
  EdwardL95 | Jan 7, 2020 |
The second half of this book is amazing, and if you can get through the first half it's worth the read.

The plot doesn't get started till 50% of the way through. Considering the length of the book, that means you have to read the equivalent of an entire novel before anything happens.

The book is constantly see-sawing in tone. One moment there's slapstick comedy, the next there's Hamlet style tragedy. It really doesn't mesh well at all.

The anti-capitalist stance starts interesting, becomes hilarious in it's persistence, then starts to seriously annoy as it continues, and at the end I can't help but think that it was some sort of reverse psychology, designed to make you pro-capitalist. That, or Erikson owed the bank a lot of money.

Overall, an interesting story but the worst book in the series so far. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
Still quite good on the re-read. The second read has not improved as much as the first few books, but it was still a very enjoyable read, especially if you remember at least a few of the plot twists coming in the end and thus can properly appreciate the foreshadowing. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
“Destiny is a lie. Destiny is justification for atrocity. It is the means by which murderers armour themselves against reprimand. It is a word intended to stand in place of ethics, denying all moral context.”

This book was a pretty interesting contrast to the previous books. Where the first four books told a pretty consistent story, this one drops just about every previously introduced character, save one, and tells a completely different story.

Now, this is no criticism. I really liked the Tiste Edur and their ways, and the Letherii are a good mirror of some of the Problems the real world currently has, in my opinion.

All of the characters were characterized very well, and, as always, there were the usual 'wait, what?'-Moments that every book so far has provided, but that cannot be explained here, for obvious reasons (They would hardly be 'wait, what?' after I explained them).

So, why four stars? As always, I have several reasons. This book has the usual Malazan-Problem: It is getting better after you finished the first 300 pages, but those can sometimes be quite a drag. It took me about a month to get through them, while I read the remaining pages 380 within less than a week. Also, you probably need a whiteboard and constant notetaking to understand everything. I always found myself wanting to look characters up in the previous books, and while that is in itself a good thing, it is getting annoying if you don't understand every twist because you can't quite remember which race person X from book Y is. There are also some other reasons I can't quite pin, and the book, while good, is one of the weaker Malazan books so far. It is still well worth reading, if you can live with some excessive violence (Nasty sorcery and sometimes even nastier regular violence). Just expect to not be sucked in as much as usual.

I am still looking forward to reading the remaining parts of the Series, and I will have a lot of time to do that soon. Maybe I'll understand more if I can read a book in two days instead of two months. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
Malazan Book of the Fallen #5 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Christopher Porozny
From the twisting, smoke-filled clouds, blood rained down.
"Every worthwhile plan is diabolical."
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Kinder des Schattens' (2005) ISBN 3-442-24298-3 and
'Die Gezeiten der Nacht' (2005) ISBN 3-442-24403-X
Please do not combine these works

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,580,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible