Tall, Dark & Dead by Tate Hallaway

Tall, Dark & Dead

by Tate Hallaway

Series: Garnet Lacey (1)

A recovering witch and manager of Wisconsin's premier occult bookstore, Garnet Lacey finds herself drawn to her gorgeous customer, Sebastian Von Traum, despite the troublesome fact that he is dead.
    Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill (leahsimone)
    Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead (leahsimone)
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Funny, vampire chick lit.
    Secondhand Spirits by Juliet Blackwell (Katie.Loughlin)
    Katie.Loughlin: Both main characters are witches who own unique stores and regularly patronize cafes. Whereas Garnet Lacey tries not to perform magic, Lily Ivory only tries to hide her witch identity. I think Secondhand Spirits is a good book to read after reading Tall, Dark & Dead. Otherwise, the Garnet Lacey series is a little disappointing.… (more)

I picked this up because I needed a break from the teen drama that YA normally brings! :) I wanted a light read that would bring the romance factor and dabble a bit on the comedic side. Tate Hallaway's Tall, Dark & Dead did all of that and more. Garnet is a bit of a loner after having split town a few months back. She's new to her town, manages an occult bookstore, and just met her dream guy. There's only one problem. He doesn't cast an aura and she doesn't know if he's aware that he's dead! Now, how to figure out what he is...and tell him the bad news?? Meanwhile, she believes that the same people she's running from are out to get him. This book is the first in what I'm sure is a fabulous series that outlines the ups and downs of Garnet's life. ( )
  ecmross | Apr 19, 2019 |
Picked it up because the author wandered into the store, and am very glad I did! Fun heroine, true feeling of danger. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Garnet Lacey series; there are five books in this series. This was an okay start to a paranormal romance series involving a witch, some vampires, and the Vatican operatives that hunt them down.

The characters were okay but the heroine, Garnet, really wasn't the type of heroine I enjoy reading about. She was honestly a bit...well...slutty (I know, I know I shouldn't say this but she really was) and seemed a bit confused about why the things that happened to her, well, happened. She made a lot of bad decisions and I get frustrated with heroines like that.

The romance was pretty thin and the sex scenes were poorly written. The paranormal aspects were pretty typical witch/vampire themes. This book didn't shine in either the paranormal aspects or the romance aspects.

The story plot was a bit thin as well and the side characters weren't that well done. My favorite side character was William who is one of Garnet's co-workers; he was way more interesting than any of the main characters….which was kind of sad given how little he’s in the story.

Overall, while this was an okay light paranormal romance read and an okay diversion, I wasn't really impressed by anything here. I don't plan on continuing the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 8, 2018 |
I read about half of this book but even after a quarter I didn't want to go on. I found none of the main characters likable. To like a book like this, there has to be some redeeming feature about the main characters or at least something that makes them interesting. For me, this book failed. I gave up and will give the book away. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jan 30, 2018 |
The story was nice but nothing to write home about. I don't know if im going to read the other books in this series. Maybe if there realy cheap. ( )
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |

Tate Hallawayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ronconi, AmandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shawn, as always
If only I hadn't been late.
To finish off the look, I applied a layer of Egyptian kohl around my eyes. Regarding the result in the mirror, I smiled: total Goth chick. No one would take me seriously as a Witch dressed like this. A Vatican agent would take one look at the large, silver-plated ankh bouncing off the too-tight décolletage of my fanged Hello Kitty shirt and think: Poseur. (chapter one)
[Garnet and Sebastian are discussing the Order of Eustace, the Vatican witch hunters]
He nodded. 'It's strange that they care more that I'm a Witch than a vampire. You'd think that being one of the walking dead would be a bigger sin.'
'It's Biblical, I guess,' I said with a shrug. 'Vampires aren't mentioned in the Bible; Witches are.'
'The whole suffer the Witch to live thing?' he asked.
I nodded.
'Well, that's just bad biblical scholarship. A much more accurate translation of the Hebrew would be something more like, 'Thou shalt not support a Witch in her livelihood,' or 'Don't give the fortune-teller your dime'.'
I'd also heard that originally the word had been 'poisoner' and had gotten changed over time. (chapter two)

Recovering witch Garnet Lacey owns Wisconsin's premier occult bookstore. And a fringe benefit of the job is getting customers like Sebastian Von Traum - piercing brown eyes, a sexy accent, and a killer body. The only thing missing is an aura. Which means he's dead. And that means trouble - something Garnet's a sucker for....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,771,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible