dismiss

Doing Sixty & Seventy (KINDLE) by Gloria…

Doing Sixty & Seventy (KINDLE) (edition 2006)

by Gloria Steinem (Author)

355518,386 (3)None
A powerful and moving treatise on the surprises of aging from an influential feminist writer and activist who thinks beyond stereotypes The older I get, the more intensely I feel about the world around me. Gloria Steinem has been an eloquent and outspoken voice for women’s rights and equality for more than four decades. In Doing Sixty & Seventy she addresses an essential concern of people everywhere—and especially of women: the issue of aging. Whereas turning fifty, in her experience, is “leaving a much-loved and familiar country,” turning sixty means “arriving at the border of a new one.” With insight, intelligence, wit, and heartfelt honesty, she explores the landscapes of this new country and celebrates what she has called “the greatest adventure of our lives.” While appreciating everybody’s experiences as different, Steinem sees these years as charged with possibilities. Dealing with stereotypes and the “invisibility” that often accompany a woman’s senior years can be as liberating as it is frustrating. It frees women as well as men to embrace that “full, glorious, alive-in-the-moment, don’t-give-a-damn yet caring-for-everything sense of the right now.” This ebook features an illustrated biography of Gloria Steinem including rare images and never-before-seen documents from the author’s personal collection.… (more)
Member:c_why
Title:Doing Sixty & Seventy (KINDLE)
Authors:Gloria Steinem (Author)
Info:(2006), 72 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, E-Book, own-owned, Currently reading
Rating:***1/2
Tags:biog--writer, age

Doing Sixty and Seventy by Gloria Steinem

fans of Gloria Steinem will love this short book. I'm not sure I want to call it a book, it's less than 70 pages.

I was excited to read this, as I've never read anything by Gloria Steinem before.
I was disappointed. The book didn't speak to me or grab me. I didn't find the content "revolutionary" or life changing, which are things I expected based on other reviews about Gloria Steinem and her writing.

Happy 80th, Ms. Steinem

Doing Sixty & Seventy by Gloria Steinem (Open Road Media, $9.99 ebook).

Today, Gloria Steinem turns 80.

She was the face of ’70s Second Wave feminism—a role she didn’t particularly like—mostly because the men in charge of media reports on women’s issues found her attractive and they wanted to talk to her.

What I know of her personally is this: At every speech I’ve heard her give, at every event I’ve attended where she was part of the process, she’s set aside time for organizing. And that has been the specific sort of organizing that would benefit whatever community she was in for her visit.

The first time, in Iowa, was so long ago that we were trying to organize to support the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. In other places, that organizing time has been used to talk about sexual assault, racial justice, economic equality for women—you name it.

In Doing Sixty & Seventy, which is a revised version of a long-ish essay Steinem wrote in her early 60s, she’s examining what it means to get older as a feminist.

As she’s turning 80, I’m in my sixth decade, and starting to see how aging changes us. One of Steinem’s observations is that women seem to get more radical as we age; this makes sense to me, if only because it’s so irritating to find ourselves having the same discussions over and over.

We have to explain—again—why access to birth control is fundamental to women’s lives? And why we don’t want to leave this to men—or worse yet, employers—to decide?

And the answer is: apparently, yes.

My patience wears thin. I wonder how she can stand it.

This essay remains an interesting and enlightening engagement with aging as a woman who will not play games or pretend to be something she’s not. This is true for many of us, but Steinem continues to articulate it very well.

Happy birthday, Gloria Steinem. May you have many more. ( )
  KelMunger | May 8, 2014 |
another wonderful book by Steinem ( )
  yawk | Jul 10, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,956,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible